Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub?
    #9807664 - 02/16/09 11:59 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So today I was checking up on one of my monotubs. Its been in fruiting conditions for about 2-3 days now. All is nice. Its a great looking tub. So as I'm doing my daily inspection, misting, and fanning routine. I find this greenish white String sticking out. I totally thought it was mint dental floss. I had not clue how that could have got in there. As I got to pick it out it feels wet. So I proceed to pluck it out. It ends up being a sprout/plant growth in my fucking monotub. Now everything thats been in my monotub has been either PC'ed for 90+ mins or pasteurized at 170 degrees for 2 hours. So technically nothing should have survived that. Oddly enough to quote doctor Ian Malcolm, "um...life found a way..."

What oddities have you found in your tubs?

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9807680 - 02/16/09 12:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

why are you misting and fanning a monotub?

EDIT:  maybe a seed landed in there when you were doing your misting and fanning (that's totally unnecessary for a monotub man, and will probably fuck up your sub water content).

were you able to tell what it was or was it still just the cotyledon?

--------------------

Edited by nonlinear (02/16/09 12:05 PM)

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: nonlinear]
    #9807684 - 02/16/09 12:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
why are you misting and fanning a monotub?

Because I like to. Thats why. I also don't case, and I use wax paper. Eventually you'll need to mist if you don't case IMO. I've misted and fanned every single monotub I've done and I've never incurred any sort of problems.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/16/09 12:09 PM)

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#9807724 - 02/16/09 12:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yea, i don't case monotubs either.  but the fanning and misting kinda defeats the purpose of a monotub.

IMO it's best to just close the lid and forget about it.  this is A LOT easier, and will keep the sub at the right water content and maintain proper humidity.  opening it every day is just a lot of unnecessary work.  like you said, you didn't notice and probs, but you are getting a lot of airborne seeds, spores, etc.  i bet a small seed from the fanning is the source of your weird growth.

do you rehydrate your sub after your first flush?  how do you do this?  i usually just dump in water, but that's gross haha

--------------------

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: nonlinear]
    #9807737 - 02/16/09 12:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I mist and fan my monotubs, its a bit more work but tender care and attention > neglect any day.  Mono's CAN go without ever being touched, but supplementing with misting and fanning helps.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: shroomzey]
    #9807789 - 02/16/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroomzey said:
I mist and fan my monotubs, its a bit more work but tender care and attention > neglect any day.  Mono's CAN go without ever being touched, but supplementing with misting and fanning helps.

I agree. Thats why I had a tub full of these guys. For fruits the more FAE the better. Mushrooms love fresh air and they love moisture. This was my biggest.

--------------------

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/16/09 12:29 PM)

OfflineMercuryDrinker
The Deranger
Male

Loc: The Nuthouse
    #9807880 - 02/16/09 12:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

An oozing mutant puss bubble once grew off one of my cakes. Nobody could explain it. It was quite the spectacle. Apart from that the only weird thing that grew out of my terrarium was a 7 foot bean stalk. No I'm joking about the beanstalk but I'm serious about that mutant puss bubble.

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: MercuryDrinker]
    #10270098 - 05/01/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have had coprinus fruit prolifically in a cubie tub one time.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Offlinedjcube
Backwoods Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #10270127 - 05/01/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

fungus

OfflineShroomer Smurf
Slacker

#10270631 - 05/01/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

shroomzey said:

I agree. Thats why I had a tub full of these guys. For fruits the more FAE the better. Mushrooms love fresh air and they love moisture. This was my biggest.

For my first MonoTub grow I used a oscillating fan kept on 24/7 and it seemed to do fine. My tubs are in a small closet lab so there's a lot of air circulating around at all times. Also, I covered the tubs tightly with a black trash bag during colonization which keeps all of that much needed humidity trapped inside until ready to fruit.

Set It & Forget It. :stoned:

Offlinescubabuddha
friend of a friend of a friend
Male

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: Shroomer Smurf]
    #10270735 - 05/01/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i've had one of those sprouts. i'm pretty sure it's from wbs. lord knows how it survived the pc...

aside from that..... trich :thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineJaicen
Psychedelic Monk
 User Gallery

Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: scubabuddha]
    #10271934 - 05/02/09 04:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If you cased with peat, perhaps that could account for the weird plant growth. Many species of sedgeland plants have evolved to take advantage of wildfires. Many ferns for example will sprout following a roasting from fire, withstanding much higher temps than your PC can generate.

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: Jaicen]
    #10271941 - 05/02/09 04:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if you zoom in on the right hand pic in my sig u can see some wheat grass growing through, i had shit loads popping through. i was growing on wheat straw which had been pasturized yet many wheat grains still remained funtional.

ive also had what i think were very long stemmed ink caps, they looked like hairy pins at first then grew a really long stalk, then after a day or two decomposed into black shite on my sub

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

Offlineshroomer51203
Strange
 User Gallery

Loc: planet niptune
Re: Whats the weirdest thing to ever grow in your monotub? [Re: DeadDog]
    #10272204 - 05/02/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I use hpoo/straw in my monobins  and have had  many seeds sprout time after time. when breaking up the poo looks like oats are all over.

--------------------
trust the fungus!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags