Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHydroponic311
innocentcriminal
Small Shrooms
    #1026182 - 11/06/02 12:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I tried casing for the first time, and when I started to see pins I was hella excited because there was tons of them. So they were growing for a couple days then I left town for the weekend and when I came back they were all little and shit. Fully developed, but like really skiiny and short. There was prolly 40 on the loaf pan I used weighing in at a whopping 2.5 grams dry. WTF? This is not my first time growing, Ive used poo a couple times and got some fucking monsters that weighed more than this whole flush. Anybody know what the problem might be? I used one whole 1/2 pint jar and cased with 50/50. Perlit Humidity.

--------------------
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Small Shrooms [Re: Hydroponic311]
    #1026236 - 11/06/02 01:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You got the large shrooms from the poo because there was more total substrate to fruit from as opposed to just one half pint cake.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1026532 - 11/06/02 02:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The problem may have resulted from lack of air exchange. If you were out of town for the weekend, was anybody fanning for you? If not, I suspect the poor results of your flush may be due to the lack of oxygen for your growing crop.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1027204 - 11/06/02 08:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

So they were growing for a couple days then I left town for the weekend and when I came back they were all little and shit. Fully developed, but like really skiiny and short.

I have no cultivation experience. However, from what I've read, I'm going to guess poor gas exchange and/or poor lighting.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Small Shrooms [Re: Theta]
    #1027297 - 11/06/02 09:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

I have no cultivation experience. However, from what I've read, I'm going to guess poor gas exchange and/or poor lighting.

ummm lighting?.. ohhh you have no experience. That explaines that. some one should really gag you though.

Ummm, imcluding the possibility of air exchange I would say moisture. Although I doubt this since you have done multiple casings before, it could be that you didn't have enough water in there to give to you little shrooms.

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

Re: Small Shrooms [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1027629 - 11/06/02 12:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ummm lighting?.. ohhh you have no experience. That explaines that. some one should really gag you though.

Ummm, imcluding the possibility of air exchange I would say moisture. Although I doubt this since you have done multiple casings before, it could be that you didn't have enough water in there to give to you little shrooms. 

:smirk:  Hmmm, well this one guy, Paul Stamets, maybe you've heard of him??  Well, he suggests that inadequate light is a possibility in this situation.  Additional possibilities worth looking into may be poor gas exchange (which I suggested and I think, coupled with humidity problems, is most likely), over pinning, inadequate substrate nutrition, and too little or MUCH moisture.

Hell, too MUCH ambient humidity sounds like a real possibility to me, especially if the mushrooms are well formed but just short.  The casing may be providing plenty of moisture for growth while a high ambient humidity may stiffle that growth.  (This is why a drop in RH is recomended between primordia formation and cropping.)  Couple this with poor gas exchange and the problem is exacerbated.  Add inadequate LIGHT and/or inadequate substrate nutrition and the problem is exacerbated even further.

Why limit what you're looking for when something goes wrong?  Look for every possible contributing factor and eliminate them.  With a photosensitive specimen such as the P. cubensis, disregarding the possible effects of lighting in such cases is ignorant.

Oh, wait.  I have no hand on cultivation experience.  Please disregard everything I just said - and then go suck something hard. 

Edited by Theta (11/06/02 12:05 PM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Small Shrooms [Re: Theta]
    #1027640 - 11/06/02 12:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:grin:

Well said. 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation