Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Diaboleros]
    #10253587 - 04/29/09 12:29 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Diaboleros said:
Humor and laughter is the universal language of truth. Banning humor out of a philosophy forum is banning the truth. When something is funny, it's because it's true.

9/11 truly happened. Not many would find that funny. :nonono:

Quote:

Diaboleros said:
For example, Mr Mushrooms complaining about personalisms and trolling and even starting a topic about it while he is the master troll is very funny! It's as if this guy is holding a campaign against himself :lol:

How is he a troll? He contributes much to this website, and this forum in particular.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Poid]
    #10253620 - 04/29/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said: 9/11 truly happened. Not many would find that funny. :nonono:

Ironically we have a smiley for it: :septemberlol:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: deCypher]
    #10253633 - 04/29/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, the smiley is funny! :yesnod:

...but the actual thing, not so much! :shake:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineSventington
am what I am what I am what I am

#10253770 - 04/29/09 01:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have read through the whole thread, and the only question I have is this:

Orgone...do you really eat rocks?

Edited by Sventington (04/29/09 01:33 AM)

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Sventington]
    #10253816 - 04/29/09 01:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Can the mods just stop policing us and everyone else stop with this Mickey Mouse, electoral college squirrelshit?

P.S. I read that OrgoneConclusions eats rocks and gets the runs from God's own TexMex.

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#10253878 - 04/29/09 02:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
How is he a troll? He contributes much to this website, and this forum in particular.

Sure I like him and his posts, but nonetheless, he's a drama queen. He's trolling about the trolls, joining the game he hates. Fighting fire with fire and burning himself. How is that not funny?

Edited by Diaboleros (04/29/09 02:21 AM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10253946 - 04/29/09 02:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think what he's doing can be considered trolling...

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#10253962 - 04/29/09 03:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok good point, it's not trolling, I was just using it to make my sentence sound better. :grin:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10253995 - 04/29/09 03:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Now that's trolling! :nono:
:awebig:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10254012 - 04/29/09 03:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The kind of guy that would needle a member who has been to a mental ward in the hopes of sending him back there.  That kind of asshole.

Yet more falsehoods and a character assasination far worse than any imagined flaming and should be enough for a perma-ban. I only know of one member capable of that kind of vindictiveness.

I wonder what Jesus had to say about bearing false witness...

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10254112 - 04/29/09 04:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You've got to appreciate the irony of somebody posting a thread about keeping the no personalisms rule and then participating in a huge exchange of veiled (well, not very veiled) personalisms. :lol:

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10254120 - 04/29/09 04:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

One cannot hide one's true nature forever.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10254137 - 04/29/09 04:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

TML, FTW! :yesnod:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleQuetzalcohuatl
Stranger

#10254183 - 04/29/09 05:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yeah :smile:

I have to remember this is the internet, nobody reads anything that is more than a sentence long

they don't get humor unless it's tippeed oot lik a crakhedd tipped it,

and forget about trying to pose a philosophical dilemma subtly in a philosophy section on a forum about magic mushrooms

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10254741 - 04/29/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
You've got to appreciate the irony of somebody posting a thread about keeping the no personalisms rule and then participating in a huge exchange of veiled (well, not very veiled) personalisms. :lol:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #10254789 - 04/29/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That's asking us to post in the dark without ever knowing we're past a line until after we're passed it.

Here's a simple solution to the personalism rule:  Ban the trolls.

I didn't bother to read any responses but here's mine.

I agree about the passing the line. I recently got an official warning (without warning) for doing something I have been doing for years here. That was totally fucked up.

As far as trolling goes you could make the case that any thread where you are looking for debate is trolling. I think trolling is a very healthy practice. No one forces anyone to respond to any post.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #10258962 - 04/29/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

The kind of guy that would needle a member who has been to a mental ward in the hopes of sending him back there.  That kind of asshole.

Yet more falsehoods and a character assasination far worse than any imagined flaming and should be enough for a perma-ban. I only know of one member capable of that kind of vindictiveness.

I wonder what Jesus had to say about bearing false witness...

Truth claim #1:  A member was needled by bringing up a past error.  No disagreement.
Truth claim #2:  Said member had spent time in a mental institution.  Evidence is found at the Shroomery, particularly in the Anon. forum.
Truth claim #3:  Member who brought up the past error of member #1 freely admits reading the Anon. forum.

Assigning vindictiveness is merely a subjective opinion relying on assumed and unproven (and unproveable) supposition.

My response parallels Dragnet:  "Just the facts, Ma'am, just the facts."  :hatsoff:

I only know of one member that would bring up someone's past errors in this manner.  This "someone" practices this habitually.  I hesitate to assign motivation though.  Perhaps it's just someone's idea of fun.  I also hear fly's wings are easy to tear off.

"These are the facts and they are undisputed."  ~Jack Ross, A Few Good Men

--------------------

Edited by Mr. Mushrooms (04/29/09 09:56 PM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: Icelander]
    #10258995 - 04/29/09 09:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
That's asking us to post in the dark without ever knowing we're past a line until after we're passed it.

Here's a simple solution to the personalism rule:  Ban the trolls.

I didn't bother to read any responses but here's mine.

I agree about the passing the line. I recently got an official warning (without warning) for doing something I have been doing for years here. That was totally fucked up.

As far as trolling goes you could make the case that any thread where you are looking for debate is trolling. I think trolling is a very healthy practice. No one forces anyone to respond to any post.

You're forgetting civility and its link to discourse.  That's not too surprising given your posts.  The consensus so far seems to indicate a desire for flames and flaming, i.e. less rules.  Not too surprising given the make-up of the forum.  Those with any maturity would eschew such an idea on the grounds that it doesn't promote civil discussion.  Then again, with as many near-infractions as we have, that isn't too surprising either.

The rabble wants to fight?  :eek:  What a shock.  :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10259983 - 04/30/09 12:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Yes; I'm inclined to say that the concepts of trolling, flaming, and personalisms are not well-defined enough to serve as a good basis for forum rules.

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
You're forgetting civility and its link to discourse.  That's not too surprising given your posts.  The consensus so far seems to indicate a desire for flames and flaming, i.e. less rules.  Not too surprising given the make-up of the forum.  Those with any maturity would eschew such an idea on the grounds that it doesn't promote civil discussion.

MM, you have given me some food to think on.  I do agree that civility is a superb path towards passioned, intelligent discourse, but I believe that the civility of civil posters and the intelligent remarks of decent philosophers on this board will remain untouched by the lifting of a nebulous rule that only seems to promote dissension and discord.

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
The rabble wants to fight?  :eek:  What a shock.  :smirk:

Let them.  Unless you are part of the rabble, what business is it to you?  One should not have to be scared of other people's words.  (and I think without the rabble this forum would be rather empty :tongue:)

At any rate I'm not calling for any drastically immediate changes to be made; only that we openly debate what a good forum rule ought to be.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Personalisms, flames and trolling. [Re: deCypher]
    #10260136 - 04/30/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
There is no such thing as free speech on a message board that needs money to exist.  Someone is paying the bills.  They get to decide what is said or cannot be said.  Whatever your motivation is the simple fact is that given my statement, your job would be easier.

This is true, but what's in question here is what the rules should be; the administrators or moderators can certainly decide to include free speech as a general maxim for board policy if they choose.

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said: No, I do not believe in democracy.  Remember our discussion over the philosopher king?  I want someone with wisdom to make the rules, not the current membership of the forum (rabble).

Again, agreed, but I don't see how the rabble is making the rules here.  This is an open thread to discuss possible rule changes; more viewpoints are always welcome but it ultimately comes down to the people in charge to make the final decision.

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said: I would need specifics before I would consent to any rule.

Alright, here's my rule proposal: Only philosophical topics will be permitted; no off-topic or irrelevant posting is allowed.  Comments that directly address other posters (i.e. personalisms under the current rule) would be allowed provided that they pertain to the discussion at hand.

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Quote:

daytripper23 said: Ignore the trolls.

You can do it with a push of a button, and it accomplishes the same thing, without censorship.

Nope, and that's bullshit under the current system.  You've seen how well that has worked with a member I ignored.  It started this whole mess.  He was able to incite another member against me and here is where we are.

What specifically do you mean by inciting other members?

agreed as to all.  I would only add that in addition to allowing personal discussion relevant to a person's post or the topic of the thread, that items someone brings to the discussion should be allowed (which is probably subsumed under the allowance of addressing the content of a post, I'm talking about invited commentary or someone referring to something and then trying to hide behind rules to avoid defending its relevance and soforth)

I also find Mr. Mushrooms' suggestion that some unnamed member is controlling the forum and its participants' desire for relaxed rules to be ridiculous.  I say what  I believe.  Its not some conspiracy dude.  I also don't see how personal remarks should be banned.  That's my opinion.  Malicious attacks on people should be banned.  I gave my view on what should be allowed in the sticky.

Also, MM, why are you calling out people in your post?  Chill out.  The unnamed members portion had nothing to do with anything.

And Orgone and MM, what does any of this have to do with anything?  If orgone is one of the unnamed members (though I'm guessing not since MM said he ignored those guys and he's replying to him) or friends with him, then  it seems like your just trying to cause trouble for no reason by bringing it up. 

WHo cares guys, discuss the topic.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order