Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Kada]
    #10247006 - 04/28/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Lasers are coherent beams of light. The sun radiates light from a central point, which makes them less intense as they get away from it. Just like how waves in a pond get weaker and weaker the farther away from the disturbance that caused it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Synesthetic]
    #10247035 - 04/28/09 12:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Synesthetic said:
Lasers are coherent beams of light. The sun radiates light from a central point, which makes them less intense as they get away from it. Just like how waves in a pond get weaker and weaker the farther away from the disturbance that caused it.

Wrong, the light remains at the same frequency until it hits something, which is extremely rare in space (hence why we can see objects billions of light-years away)

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Ferris]
    #10247077 - 04/28/09 12:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Amplitude =/= frequency.

What the hell made you think I was talking at all about frequency? I said the intensity (hence amplitude) of waves decreases as it moves further away from its source because it's radiating outward in all directions.

Lasers move almost completely straight, so a laser in a vacuum (which has little to no mass to absorb any of the light) could keep going for a very long time without losing any intensity.

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Synesthetic]
    #10247191 - 04/28/09 01:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

What does it matter, if the frequency isn't changing, what force is effecting the period of the wave?  Shit just doesn't slow down without a force being acted on it.  It can move as far as it wants.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Ferris]
    #10247212 - 04/28/09 01:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:
The distance between rays grows as they move away from a central point.  Draw a circle with lines, and then measure the distance at the base, and then at the edges.  Viola

That's the best answer so far.

No, a laser pointer will not still be at the same intensity after a long travel through space.

Take a laser pointer and shine it on a wall 5 feet away. The laser makes a small dot. Now shine it at a wall 200 feet away. You'll notice the dot has gotten BIGGER and LESS BRIGHT.

See the above quote from Ferris for the explanation.

Quote:

Synesthetic said:
Lasers move almost completely straight, so a laser in a vacuum (which has little to no mass to absorb any of the light) could keep going for a very long time without losing any intensity.

"Almost" is the key word there. If he used a laser pointer from Earth's surface and pointed it upwards the laser would dissipate due to the Earth's atmosphere.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

#10247224 - 04/28/09 01:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Because a wave's amplitude (which determines how much energy it has) decreases the farther away from its source it is. Except for lasers because the light waves come out of the laser going almost all in the same direction.

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #10247228 - 04/28/09 01:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

In a vacuum though, the intensity of each individual ray remains the same.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

#10247244 - 04/28/09 01:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Of course, man.

But those individual rays move away from each other as they spread out from where they came from.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Diaphanous]
    #10247321 - 04/28/09 01:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A combination of the inverse square law, the fact that space is not a true vacuum & the Beer-Lambert Law.

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Cepheus]
    #10247371 - 04/28/09 02:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hes asked why is mars cooler than earth. the answer is.. mars does not have an atmosphere.. well a very very thin atmosphere it has. ours is very think with alot of gasses plus the ozone layer trapping the heat inside. think of a green house. thats why they call it the green house effect when they refer to pollution. heat gets trapped from our sun thus, the planet heats up. mars cannot heat up due to less density of its atmosphere.

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: tripp23]
    #10247376 - 04/28/09 02:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

My answer still applies. Mars has an atmosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: Cepheus]
    #10247387 - 04/28/09 02:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mars, the fourth planet from the Sun, has a very different atmosphere from that of Earth.

It is alot different from earth's atmosphere.

Quote:

The atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin,

as i stated.

--------------------

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why does the proximity to our sun affect the temperature on planets [Re: tripp23]
    #10247398 - 04/28/09 02:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've just woke up.. Its first thing in the morning, cut me some slack :lol:.

The retention & refraction of heat in our atmosphere is largely due to ozone & co2, due to the pi systems in both molecules, as they absorb infrared radiation and reflect it back to some degree.

Whilst the atmosphere plays an important part, I would speculate that its physical distance away from the sun plays a larger part in the planets temperature.. 1/r^2 is quite a lot of difference especially in astronomical terms.

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #10247409 - 04/28/09 02:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Still, the question seemed more generalized than specific to Mars.

Now, if you plotted every planet in the galaxy by distance and temperature (sticking to G2 spectral stars), you'd see a definite correlation.  Granted, it's not a flat line.  The reason for this is that different elements exist and in different states, as the semi-major axis increases.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

#10247413 - 04/28/09 02:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I've just woke up.. Its first thing in the morning, cut me some slack .

lol its all good!

:smilingpuppy:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds