Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheesyincident
Cheese Head
 User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Help with colonizing POO!!
    #1023893 - 11/05/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Alright - today I took a look at my poo colonizing -->

There is a little puddle of exces moisture that built up and is resting on the colonizing poo, turning it yellow. I can still see this puddle and was wondering what effect this will have on that part of the poo and how I can get that water out of there if I should? I took off the saran wrap that was holding poisture in the container, to hopefully leviate some of it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
Incidents Happen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: cheesyincident]
    #1023935 - 11/05/02 10:47 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'd just take a clean paper towel and soak that moisture off of the top. You shouldnt really have to worry about contams with poo too often. I'm not saying it cant happen, it just doesnt happen as much. Besides, that looks pretty colonized. Good luck, and the string cheese incident rocks man :laugh: you go to bonnaroo? 

--------------------

Offlinecheesyincident
Cheese Head
 User Gallery

Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: Floydseamus]
    #1023987 - 11/05/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you rhink I should add a casing layer now or wait a few days for the entire thing to colonize so I cannot see any poo?
Didn't make the roo......had to choose either that or the CO 4th of july run......no question for me on that.

--------------------
Incidents Happen

Offlinecheesyincident
Cheese Head
 User Gallery

#1024014 - 11/05/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I dabbed the spots with a paper towel.......that won't hurt the mycelium or cause any contams??

--------------------
Incidents Happen

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

#1024023 - 11/05/02 11:09 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well, i'd wait to case until the whole thing is colonized. That isnt experience talking tho cuz when i cased, i got the worst pinset of my entire growing life. I wouldn't even case the thing man, personally. Wait till you get more info from some more advanced cultivators. Try to make it to roo next year man, it was the highlight of my life. (dont blame you for going to colo tho, love that fuggen state)

--------------------

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

#1024026 - 11/05/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

As for hurting the mycelium, even if you were rough, it'll come back in no time, i mean within a day. As for contams, VERY unlikely at this stage in development. IMO.

--------------------

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
    #1024049 - 11/05/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

my rat has had yellowish jelly come from straw/dung casings, he believes its called leachate and is harmless, he has left it on and nothing ill-effect has happened. other times he has removed it and seems not to change anything either. dont worry about more than normal bruising from dabbing moisture off mycelium..

those LA - LV cheese shows looked hella tight! wish i was there!

OfflinePyrobull33
EnlightenedShroomer
Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: Floydseamus]
    #1024056 - 11/05/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That yellow stuff is actually mycellium waste/piss. Don't worry at all about that, I have some colonizing earthworm casting and have noticed it in a few spots as well, just leave it alone and it will be alright, especially when all is colonized...I would also leave the saran wrap on unless you have it enclosed in a container with a lid.

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Loc: Arkansas...man I love thi...
    #1024090 - 11/05/02 11:28 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

To answer your casing question. Yes definately wait until you poo is fully colonized before you add a casing layer to it. This will help to ensure that you have a nice even pinset and so that the casing layer will colonize in a more timely fashion.

Anonymous

#1024391 - 11/05/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

looks good dude

just sop up the water with a q-tip

is that straight poo? horse or cow? composted?

usually you won't have to case it, it holds moisture

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: ]
    #1024451 - 11/05/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

A casing layer is a personal prefrence when it comes to Poo. I like to case mine because I think I get more even of a pinset and I usually have larger and more flushes then when I choose not to case. The purpose of a casing is to retain moisture and to provide a barrier for contams. Poo retains moisture quite nicely and it resist contamination very well. So its like I said its a persoanl prefrence

Edited by PsilosShaman (11/05/02 01:29 PM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1024456 - 11/05/02 01:31 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Case that puppy , and do not worry about the puddle , the casing will absorb it . It looks quite ready to me .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: tripndicular]
    #1024459 - 11/05/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Are you saying he should case the poo now?

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: PsilosShaman]
    #1024522 - 11/05/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

From the look of the photo , the sub is almost completly covered with mycelium . Is it not ? If so ..yes, case it, give another couple of days incubation in darkness(wait for myc to show thru casing ) and initiate pinning .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinecheesyincident
Cheese Head
 User Gallery

Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: tripndicular]
    #1024811 - 11/05/02 03:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The substrate is 50:50 poo and peat. I did not have enough poo to spawn 3 cakes, so I just added peat to fill in the rest - actually ripped through it pretty nicely. I would reccomend adding peat to your poo if you're short or have no straw. Anyways, the picture is a little deceiving, the lower right hand corner has a few little bare spots, so I will wait a few more days and then case. Once cased and mycelium starts poking through should I initiate pinning immediately or patch?

--------------------
Incidents Happen

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

#1024830 - 11/05/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think you are a little confused let me see if I can help.....

Patching is what you should do after you have harvested your first flush...you fill in the spots on the casing that were disturbed from you picking your shrooms. You want to wait until your casing layer is completely colonized before you initiate pinning. Tripndicular told you to wait a couple of days then case, this I agree with. Then he said once the mycelium starts poking through you should initiate pining. I disagree with this comment for the simple fact that if you only have a little mycelium poking through your casing layer and you initiate pinning the mycelium that is showing will start to pin thusly leaving you with a few patches of pinning.

Edited by PsilosShaman (11/05/02 03:32 PM)

Offlinecheesyincident
Cheese Head
 User Gallery

#1024870 - 11/05/02 03:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

actually, I don;t think I am confused. My intention was to patch early mycelium coming through the casing layer to get a nicer, more even pin set before initiating. But yes, I do patch after harvesting a fruit.

--------------------
Incidents Happen

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

#1024967 - 11/05/02 04:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

. My intention was to patch early mycelium coming through the casing layer to get a nicer, more even pin set before initiating

Well I am sorry for saying you were confused.  Hey theres no need to get defensive we are all confused, without confusion no one on here would be asking questions.... :smile:  Could you explain to me your tek for "patching" the first signs of mycelial growth on your casing layer.  I am sitting here and reading your quote over and over and how I understand it you are saying that when the mycelium starts to take over the casing you are going to "patch" the spots that appear first?  Is that right or am I way off here?

Edited by PsilosShaman (11/05/02 04:23 PM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1024979 - 11/05/02 04:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yup you are, sorry for speaking for cheesy, but when you patch before the first flush you are encouraging an even pinset. So when the first signs of mycelium start poking through, you toss a little casing material on it, that way the rest of the casing has a chance to catch up. Its kinda like if you shaved your head because you wanted your hair all one length, well if some spots grew longer, quicker, you would cut them to be even with the rest of your hair. Hope this helps

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Re: Help with colonizing POO!! [Re: Skikid16]
    #1024982 - 11/05/02 04:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

awwwwww yes it is all clear now. Thanks for explaining skikid16. This is good info and I will be sure and try it out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix