Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeadhookah
Stranger

soaking rye grain...
    #10113890 - 04/05/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Then what?
I'm new here, but will probably be on here pretty often in the future.
I've read the forum faqs and teks and now have to ask a couple questions.

So ive got 4 jars worth of rye grain soaking in water, as a friend advised me.
After this 24 hour period of soaking in water, i was told to boil the grain in the water for two hours, then heavily rinse the "starch" off the husks(?) of the grain....

Ok.
THEN WHAT?
I'd really like to figure this out asap... so i appreciate all of your help.

Do I just put the strained grain into the jars right after straining?
do i pressure cook the jars immediately?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Re: soaking rye grain... [Re: deadhookah]
    #10113936 - 04/05/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/
click on grain preparation.

This video explains the whole process. Follow it as well as you possibly can.

Edited by OttoGenerated (04/05/09 11:43 PM)

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
    #10114004 - 04/05/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

firstly dont boil ur rye for 2 hours

1.soak rye for 24 hours
2. rinse in strainer
3. put ur rye in a big pot with enough water to cover it by about 2 inches
4. get the water to just barely boiling and let it stay like that for about 10 minutes
5. reduce your heat to simmering heat(water is just giving off steam and no water is bubbling) and simmer the rye for 35-45 minutes
btw when boiling stir the rye about 5 minutes and again after the 10 minutes of boiling, then continue to stir every 10 minutes.
6. remove the rye from the pot and put into a strainer again and rinse with cool or cold water.
*if you remove the rye from the pot and all of the kernels are exploded and dont just look like tiny water balloons that means you did it too long, which is what i suspect maybe have.
7. fill some quart jars to about 1 inch below the neck of the top.
8. cut out pieces of tyvek which you can buy at home depot in a big roll and cover the top of the jar with it, put the ring of the lid on without the jar top and you should have something that looks like a drum for a lid.
9. cover jars with tin foil
10. pressure cook for 1 hour at 15psi (pressure cook the jars within about 24 hours to avoid any kind of mold or rye kernels from germinating)
11. let the pc cool down and open carefully because steam that comes out will be very hot and it hurts like hell.
12. remove the tin foil and let the jars cool for about 5 hours or however long you want, you wont have to worry about contaminates at this point as the jar inside will be clean.
13. inoculate the jars with about 1-2 cc's of spores or liquid culture.
14. cover the hole u poked through the tyvek with a piece of micropore tape maybe a 1x1 inch square of it.
15. let it colonize 100% and do whatever you want with it, i suggest looking at bulk teks.
16. perhaps shake the jars once you see it colonized 75% and let it recover and colonize completely.

:thumbup:

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

Offlinedeadhookah
Stranger

Re: soaking rye grain... [Re: SillyBilly]
    #10238305 - 04/26/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yo guys
thanks for your help
but i could use some next step help

How long is too long to keep a colonized jar together before casing it?

OfflineSikk
Stranger

#10239595 - 04/26/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

6. remove the rye from the pot and put into a strainer again and rinse with cool or cold water.
*if you remove the rye from the pot and all of the kernels are exploded and dont just look like tiny water balloons that means you did it too long, which is what i suspect maybe have.
7. fill some quart jars to about 1 inch below the neck of the top.

In between these steps you want to make sure you let the rye dry pretty good.  My first attempt was pretty much ruined because my grain was too wet.  Just let it set in a strainer for about 20 mins. and shake it up every few minutes to let the water drip away.  The rye needs to contain moisture, but the outside should be mostly dry after PCing.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder