Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Drainage
    #1023708 - 11/05/02 11:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A foaf had the opportunity to veiw an empty commercial mushroom bed that were built up off the floor in teirs of beds.

He noticed there were small spaces between the boards on the bottom of the beds, about 1/4 inch wide - about every 12 inches - covered w/screening.

Asking about that, he was told it was to allow for some bottom ventilation of gases & for drainage. Interesting.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Drainage [Re: SixTango]
    #1023765 - 11/05/02 12:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Don?t forget thoough that the substrate layer is some 10 inch, as oposed to much, much less in the home cultivation.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Drainage [Re: Anno]
    #1023872 - 11/05/02 12:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I understand what you mean. In a shallow substrate, with well adjusted moisture content, there is no such need.

My point was that since a lot of peaple attempt larger bulk dung/straw substrates, in large  containers. The problem that usualy causes contam's, bacteria or general failure is the substrate is to wet, initialy.

Which often leads to bottom "rot" ..........leading to either poor or no substrate colonization. Or if it partialy colonizes, poor fruiting and/or general failure.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibleda_Vinci7
Stranger
    #1024005 - 11/05/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dave is trying something similar with the trays he uses. Here's a pic.....

He then puts a piece of mosquito screen that covers the inside bottom. Over this he lays a thin layer of perlite(just enough to cover the screen). The substrate of choice(currently straw/worm castings) is then filled into the tray. The trays set in the fruiting chamber resting on small stands that keep them elevated approx.2" off the bottom of it. Like this.........

Dave has seen much quicker spawn/casing run times since he has started doing this. His only problem now being a casing layer that is drying out too fast(even with 95%+ humidity levels). This he attributes to the fact that his air pump is on 24/7 instead of on a nice new timer which he plans to buy soon. :grin: If he could ever get his dig. camera back from a relative  :mad: I would post some pictures of some Taz beauties that are currently fruiting off straw/grain/worm castings. 

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Drainage [Re: da_Vinci7]
    #1024593 - 11/05/02 04:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yup, you need a timer on that pump. A general place to start tinkering with timing is around a 30 minute cycle, every 4 hours.

It is smart to place an inline filter in front of the pump, so your not pumping in unfiltered air. You can buy them, or cobble one togather with from small bore pvc pipe & caps, stuffed with polyfil or any filter material.

Also pays to have a tiny exit hole, lower than the top of the substrate trays. Cover that hole with a double layer of filter material. You create a small bit of positive pressure filtration & ventilation like that.

Another hint is to use a shallower substrate tray & fill it to the top. That gives o2 a way to roll off & exit when ventilation occurs.

6T

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1027711 - 11/06/02 12:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

6t, i think, in addition to drainage, the escape of gasses, as mentioned above, are crutial to large scale bulk grwoing. i think organic compost like that used in commercial growing, espesialy that containing a high dung ratio, would produce enough methane to stunt mushroom develpoment in a manner similar to CO2. correct me i i'm wrong but i believe methane is rather heavy? if so normal airflow would not vent it all. anyway, just a thought.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology