Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Solid Books about Psychedelics
    #10236901 - 04/26/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Anybody know any?

I have read so far:

Food of the g0ds (enjoyed this one a lot!) and Doors Of Perception .

What are some solid reads about psychedelics? Mostly interested in marijuana and lsd. 

Looking for interesting books- don't care much for Timothy Leary's religion type psychedelic books though...............

Drug philosophy interests me :mushroom2::stoner: the more eye opening the better-----don't want to read about what I already know.............

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineisland
Stranger
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: skatealex2]
    #10237037 - 04/26/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"Hallucinogens a reader" by grob is an interesting wide ranging scope of different aspects of psychedelics, and i read a great book someone lent me on lsd and its history ages ago but forget the name.

I love doors of perception, and have "dmt: a spirit molecule" at home which i will probably read in the summer, whats everyones thoughts on that?

OfflineEthericOctopuss
One foot in, onefoot out
Male

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: island]
    #10237066 - 04/26/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Anything by Terrence McKenna or Dr. Stanislav Grof.

"DMT: The spirit molecule" by Dr. Rick Strassman.

"Breaking open the head" by Daniel Pinchbeck.

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: EthericOctopuss]
    #10237090 - 04/26/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Mushroom Wisdom by martin w. ball.

--------------------

OfflineDroneLore
what is knowing?

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: island]
    #10237102 - 04/26/09 03:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"Storming Heaven : LSD and the American Dream" as an absolutely FANTASTIC book. Go to your nearest library and/or bookstore an attempt to acquire it immediately. An immaculately written social history of LSD, from Hoffman to the present day. The author concludes with an equally interesting chapter on the 'new' psychedelics, in which he chronicles the rise of MDMA and ketamine.

I am currently 2/3 of the way through Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom by Andy Letcher. It is not as compulsively readable as Storming Heaven was (I really couldn't put that book down!) it's still very interesting, although I found the title to be a bit misleading. Letcher spends very little time discussing archaeological and anthropological evidence of mushroom use throughout history. The book should have been titled, "A Western History..." since he spends more time discussing the rise of psilocybin in western academia (and eventually popular culture) than anything else. The sobriety of Letcher's style is refreshing; he devotes just a lot of time to debunking the falsehoods embraced by twentieth century psychonauts. Robert Gordon Wasson's legacy in particular will be significantly worse for wear thanks to the book. I would not accept Letcher's account of the history as gospel truth, but it seems to be an excellent place to start.

I would also like to recommend, "Sex Drugs Einstien and Elves" by Clifford A. Pickover. Pickover is an extremely prolific author of popular science, and this book had me spell bound the entire time. It's kind of just a random assembly of his thoughts on stuff, but he is such a profound thinker that it doesn't even matter. It's filled with speculation that will titillate the most cynical of imaginations, and he also includes tons of great quotes from other famous minds.He talks a lot about DMT and other obscure entheogens, as well as some very esoteric thoughts concerning the nature of the universe. Pickover is, first and foremost, a scientist, but admits to being far more interesting in 'fringe' topics than most of his colleagues. The book is about more than just drugs, but should be of interest to the intrepid consciousness expander or anyone with an interest in modern theoretical physics.

OfflineRasJeph
RC Hoarder
Male

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #10237110 - 04/26/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Mushroom Wisdom by martin w. ball.

I can second this one. I have it, and read it quite a few times :thumbup:

(coming from someone who isn't a fan of reading)

OfflineLegalize
Metalhead
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: RasJeph]
    #10237484 - 04/26/09 04:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

"The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a work of literary journalism by Tom Wolfe, published in 1968. Using techniques from the genre of hysterical realism and pioneering new journalism, he tells the story of Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters as they drive across the country in a DayGlo painted school bus dubbed "Furthur," reaching what they considered to be personal and collective revelations through the use of LSD and other psychedelic drugs. It covers their cross country road trip, as well as the Acid Tests, early performances by The Grateful Dead, and Kesey's exile to Mexico. Wolfe is primarily concerned not with narrative, but with relating the Pranksters' intellectual and quasi-religious experiences."

--------------------

Opiate free since 8/26/10 :thumbup:

Opiate free since 6/22/11 :thumbup: :sun: :thumbup:

Offlineandyffer
Stranger

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Legalize]
    #10237528 - 04/26/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Legalize said:

Damn! You beat me to it! I am currently reading it.
Only on the 100th page. Im not telling what has happened though for those who havent read it.

BUT.. so far its a great book, funny to hear about them talking about HBW seeds and morning glories. I was unaware that it dated back to then.
Otherwise, these merry pranksters sound a little weird to be hanging around with.

Offlinesamanthalyn6790
Stranger Than You
Female

Loc: New Orleans
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Legalize]
    #10237892 - 04/26/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Legalize said:

Every time I go to the library to try and get this it's checked out. And I'm too broke to buy it haha. Eventually I'll get this damn book in my hands.

--------------------
Life goes on within you and without you. - George Harrison

OfflineManyAk
Not A Shitgiver
Male

Loc: Somewhere but not here
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: samanthalyn6790]
    #10238114 - 04/26/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The Long Trip - A Prehistory Of Psychedelia by Paul Devereux.

--------------------
                                  we are all luminous beings
why then do we not appear before each other radiant in our illumination

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: ManyAk]
    #10238268 - 04/26/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the doors of perception is hard to fuckin read after a while. the beginning is pretty cool though.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineKras
Male User Gallery

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #10238420 - 04/26/09 07:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Huston Smith "Cleansing the Door of Perception"

Very good, yet repetitive. Smith outlines all interesting experiments and speculations about history of psychedelics. I'm not into books anymore. When you "get the picture", they all become very similar and irrelevant.

You would be amazed how many things in common with psychedelics you would find in spiritual scriptures. I was literally petrified by Upanishads.

--------------------
enjoy life!

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #10238564 - 04/26/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Pharmacotheon by Jonathan Ott. Best book on the subject out there.

OfflineKras
Male User Gallery

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Entropymancer]
    #10241127 - 04/27/09 05:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, I forgot about the best books about those substances: Pharmako trilogy by Dale Pendell.

--------------------
enjoy life!

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Kras]
    #10241969 - 04/27/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

sweet, I will check all these out. thanks! :psychsplit:

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Loc: Keta-Kosmos
    #10242135 - 04/27/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hey i just wanted to make sure everyone knows about torrents and E-books. you can get probably every single book mentioned here in the form of an E-book for free off the internet with U-torrent or something similar. I would much rather have a hard copy of any book, but for those MUST read, hard to find titles its probably your best bet. hope it proves useful for someone. PM me for more details if your not quite sure how to do this.

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

OfflineFiddlerOnTheRoof
Artist
Male User Gallery

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Engelsblut6]
    #10242235 - 04/27/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Remember, Be Here Now by Ram Dass
Quote:

It's easy to dismiss Be Here Now as the relic of a whacked-out '60s acid tripper. Paging through the center section of the book, with its inch-high print and psychedelic drawings, you come across lines like:
Magic Theatre
For madmen only
price of admission
your
mind
Then you turn to the first page of the book, and you are suddenly sucked into the story of a Harvard psychiatrist who has reached the pinnacle of success, discovers the mind-expanding powers of acid, and ends up trooping through India with a 23-year-old holy man from Laguna Beach, California. In the story, you see all the trappings of your own life and begin to wonder if India might hold the answers after all. Before booking your ticket, turn to the last section of the Be Here Now, "Cookbook for a Sacred Life." Ram Dass saves you the trouble by proffering a sober introduction to the basics of Hindu religion. Although he still can't resist CAPITAL LETTERS, he has done his homework, presenting a whole range of concepts and practices having to do with yoga postures, meditation, renunciation, dying, and sexual energy. So, for the most part, Be Here Now stands the test of time, and if you can entertain the center section in a retro kind of a spirit, it might be just what you're looking for: "The opposite of craving is saying, baby, this is the way it is, yeah, OK, here and now, this is it. I ACCEPT THE HERE & NOW FULLY." --Brian Bruya

--------------------

"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him."
-Aldous Huxley

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Loc: Keta-Kosmos
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: FiddlerOnTheRoof]
    #10248738 - 04/28/09 11:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i have just aquired what they call LSD & Psychedelics Essential Books Collection. its AMAZING. i downloaded this from the net. its full PDF format copies of the following books compiled into a 176mb folder.

|-- Alkaloids - Secrets of Life - T. Aniszewski (Elsevier, 2007) WW.pdf
|-- Andrew Weil - From Chocolate to Morphine - Mind-Altering Drugs HQ (1993).djvu
|-- Andrews - The Book Of Grass - An Anthology on Indian Hemp.pdf
|-- Blewett - Handbook for the Therapeutic Use of LSD-25 (1959).pdf
|-- Bright Star's MDMA Synthesis for the First Time Chemist.pdf
|-- D.M. Turner - The Essential Psychedelic Guide.pdf
|-- DEA Microgram Analysis Manual - LSD Blotter Pictures 1987.pdf
|-- Eisner - Remembrances of LSD Therapy Past [bad font].pdf
|-- Fester - Practical LSD Manufacture (1995).pdf
|-- Furst - Hallucinogens and Culture (Chandler&Sharp, 1976).pdf
|-- Greg Green - The Cannabis Growers Bible.pdf
|-- Grof - LSD Psychotherapy (Hunter House, 1977).pdf
|-- Grubber - Growing the Hallucinogens [html].pdf
|-- Herer - The Emperor Wears No Clothes.pdf
|-- Hofmann - LSD - My Problem Child.pdf
|-- Hofmann - The Discovery of LSD [html].pdf
|-- Holland - Ecstasy - The Complete Guide (Park Street, 2001).pdf
|-- Huxley - The Doors Of Perception.pdf
|-- Inglis - The Forbidden Game - A Social History of Drugs [html].pdf
|-- Jay Stevens - Storming Heaven - LSD & The American Dream (Perennial, 1988).pdf
|-- LSD - A Documentary Report (Audio Rarity from the Sixties)
|-- Leary,Metzner - The Psychedelic Experience.pdf
|-- Lee,Shlain - Acid Dreams - The Complete Social History of LSD (Grove, 1985).pdf
|-- Nichols - Hallucinogens.pdf
|-- Saunders - E for Ecstasy [html, MDMA].pdf
|-- Schultes - Hallucinogenic Plants - A Golden Guide [bad html].pdf
|-- Schultes,Hofmann - Plants of the Gods (Healing Arts, 2001).pdf
|-- Shulgin - Future Drugs.pdf
|-- Shulgin - PIHKAL - Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved [part 2 only].pdf
|-- Shulgin - TIHKAL - Tryptamines I Have Known And Loved [part 2 only].pdf
|-- Smith - Psychedelic Chemistry 2e HTML.rar
|-- Stafford - Psychedelics Encyclopedia 3e HQ v2.djvu
|-- Strassman - DMT - The Spirit Molecule (Park Street, 2001).pdf
|-- Tendler,May - The Brotherhood of Eternal Love (Panther, 1984) [social history of LSD].pdf
|-- Wasson - The Road to Eleusis.pdf
`-- rhodium.ws - lsd.synthesis.html

once again. an amazing collection! i will be busy for a long, long time. If your interested PM me and ill show you how to download.

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

Edited by Engelsblut6 (04/28/09 11:07 AM)

Invisiblepanaeolus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: º¶¥–¢¶
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Engelsblut6]
    #10248964 - 04/28/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Richard Evans Schultes is considered the father of modern ethnobotany. these are his books:

Hallucinogenic Plants (1976)
Plants of the Gods: Origins of Hallucinogenic Use (1979)
The Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens (1980)
Where the Gods Reign: Plants and Peoples of the Colombian Amazon (1988)
The Healing Forest: Medicinal and Toxic Plants of the Northwest Amazonia (1990)
Vine of the Soul: Medicine Men, Their Plants and Rituals in the Colombian Amazonia (1992)
Ethnobotany: Evolution of a Discipline (1995)

:yoda2:

--------------------
øª¶•†ƒ¨√©µƒ∂´

OfflineProject_Exo
Stranger
Male

#10249468 - 04/28/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No one has mentioned the best one of all. Inner Paths to Outer Space: Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelics and Other Spiritual Technologies . It came out in 2008, and is my new tripping bible. It has some very informative chapters on preparing for a trip, and set and setting.

“Those who regularly navigate the hyperspatial landscape that some have called the ‘tryptamine dimension’ have long suspected that the portals to inner and outer space may be one and the same. This book, a collaboration of the most cutting-edge shaman/neuroscientists working in this field, boldly explores this concept in a stunning tour de force.”
(Dennis McKenna, Ph.D., coauthor with Terence McKenna of The Invisible Landscape )

Offlinemoe.ron
Coral Reefer

Loc: Edge City
Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Project_Exo]
    #10250368 - 04/28/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sacred Mushroom of Visions: Teonanácatl: A Sourcebook on the Psilocybin Mushroom by Ralph Metzner

Its like the cliff notes to this place...minus the growing info.

Electric Kool-Aid and Storming Heaven are good too.

--------------------
Boy Man God Shit...

Offlineandyffer
Stranger

Re: Solid Books about Psychedelics [Re: Project_Exo]
    #10251651 - 04/28/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

PiHKAL - Alexander & Ann Shulgin

TiHKAL - Alexander & Ann Shulgin

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale