Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Growing Truffels
    #1022121 - 11/04/02 09:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering if anyones ever tried to grow truffels, and if so was it very difficult, and did you get results. I've read alot about it, and found sites that sell inoculated seedling of filber trees or white oak. They say it takes about 6 to 10 years to see full production. Once production starts though, the trees supossedly produce for 20 years or so once a year. I was thinking about trying to get a few acres and filling it up with black diamond truffel trees. Of course i want to meet some unbiased people that have grown them to get some facts and info on the subject first. So if anyone has done it before, or known someone that has done it, please let me know.  :grin:

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Growing Truffels [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1022942 - 11/05/02 02:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think that Stamets in GGMM has something about the subject. They tried it somewhere in USA and the results were very poor. I think that you have little chance of success if you plant these seedling somewhere where truffels don't occur naturally.
I would first find out what species of Tuber (if any) grow in your area.

Anonymous

#1024842 - 11/05/02 05:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

u already know i feel it can be done... i pm'ed u regarding ur post in my thread... peace  :wink:

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1026559 - 11/06/02 02:31 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I saw in the other post that it has been done in USA and you know quite a lot about it.
I wonder how are they picking them? Do they train dogs like those that hunt truffels in wild or is there a simpler way?

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Growing Truffels [Re: zeronio]
    #1038077 - 11/09/02 02:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think truffels are neat.

I've never eaten one though. Have any of you? How are they usually prepared? Does the experience hold up to the allure of their rarity?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: Growing Truffels [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1038463 - 11/09/02 08:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

(1) Yes.
(2) In a myriad of ways....everything from omelettes through to sauces through to an addition to various meats.
(3) In my opinion, no.

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1038466 - 11/09/02 08:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Tuffles grow naturally in California and Oregon. They're white, rather than black Perigold truffles though. So they don't fetch several hundred dollars a pound, but they are interesting.

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Anonymous

Re: Growing Truffels [Re: psyconaut]
    #1040425 - 11/10/02 06:04 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i was stunned when a consultant told us that black diamonds fetch in upwards of $1500 per pound. but during the past week i learned average prices for black truffles were in the area of $600-700 dollars per pound... still a nice sum, but quite a bit short of the 1500 dollar target he used... he did specify "french/italian" black truffles, but i can't find $1500.00 truffle market prices anywhere in the united states. i believe black and french/italian truffles are one in the same but i could be wrong... feel free to set the record straight... i'd appreciate the information for sure

he claims there are soil and climate conditions that are perfect for truffle growth in area's located in south eastern virginia and north eastern north carolina... there may be upper and lower canopy issues to address as well as soil conditioning...

i've also spent the past week or so thinking about what would need to happen for a years production to fall short... are there parasites, bacteria or other fungus that could not only effect one years yield but also impact future production? this is something i would love to be involved with... knowing everything that could influence the operation and being prepared or more importantly ABLE to address them and thouroughly understanding the process are key to success...

raising money for an operation is actually quite simple once a good bussiness plan has been developed, so don't let money become an initial barrier...

my feelings are this is very doable... peace

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Growing Truffels [Re: Anonymous]
    #1040486 - 11/10/02 07:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Mycotao, you seem to know much about this subject. I wonder if I could grow truffles here in Canada :grin: 

Anonymous

Re: Growing Truffels [Re: MushMushi]
    #1040517 - 11/10/02 08:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i'm still on a steep learning curve and am in no way an expert... i'm sorry if i gave u that impression... because i was instructed to look for land in a specific area of the eastern seaboard here in the US i would guess you would have problems with your winters damaging the network at rootbase.... i can check to get permission to put you in touch with the man we'll be working with if u'd like... i'm happy to that for u... but thinking about where truffles occur in nature my educated guess would be no...

truffles probably can be grown in a controlled enviorment and are supposed to do quite well with young trees... unlike matsutake... this is something i'm considering as part of my game plan... there is a company in your country that produces some of the finest commercial steel building's mass sold... they can be from stock or made to order... i was floored at how reasonable they were... of course they need to be erected on your site... if you're familiar with rigging those costs are controlled... they're solid... come with a 30 year warranty and require very little maintenance. simple mechanical systems can control the enviorment...

if this thread would not mind i would like to post a paragraph from soem of our correspondence....

"First it is essential to know whether the area you have in mind to grow truffles has a suitable climate. There are several different kinds of truffles with different climatic requirements. The species that is most commonly and successfully cultivated is the French black truffle. It requires moderate climates without extreme summer heat or extreme winter cold. With extreme heat in late summer the truffles fail to begin forming in the soil. In areas with extremely cold winters truffles are damaged if the soil freezes around them. If you are not sure whether your area fits between these extremes feel free to ask. I can look up climate data for your region.

Next, truffles need well drained soils on land that does not currently have trees on it and, ideally, has not had trees for the past few years or more. Also, the truffle trees need to be far enough away from existing non-inoculated trees that their roots will never make contact. Giving the truffle trees plenty of room helps to prevent competition from other fungi.

If your land has well drained soils and areas without trees and your climate is reasonably moderate then you may be able to grow truffles. If you are not sure then tell me the area that you have in mind and give a brief description of the site conditions. I will be glad to give specific information and recommendations. In hotter and somewhat colder climates there are other truffles that might work."

let me know ur thoughts... peace

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: Growing Truffels [Re: Anonymous]
    #1041649 - 11/10/02 08:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The French/Italian truffles of commerce are Perigord's (often referred to as "Periogold's" by English speakers). I've never seen them anywhere near US$1500/lb!

Incidentally, the entire worldwide production is estimated to be something like 120 tons, in a good year. Substantially less is a bad year.

As for what can affect a production....environmental factors can.....as can things like worms.

If I were considering trying to farm truffles, I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at it as supplemental to another business activity (such as mushroom farming, growing fruit, etc).

-psy

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1042358 - 11/11/02 03:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think that white truffels have much higher price then black ones (at least in Europe).
I ate them once in a restaurant. Spaghetti with freshly grated (raw) truffels. Nothing really special. They are appreciated because of their spermatic smell and are supposed to be sexual potentiators. A girl I know said that they smell like dirty socks.  :grin:

I think that picking is the biggest problem. I was in a film-making summer school once upon a time in an area where they hunt wild white truffels. We made a documentary about how they train dogs to search them. It's a real mess. They are making selection by breeding many dogs and killing useless ones. It looked quite disgusting.

Edited by zeronio (11/11/02 03:22 AM)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1042501 - 11/11/02 04:57 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmmm? I'd always thought Perigord's were more expensive....go figure. (Incidentally, the white "Italian" truffles are what grow naturally in Oregon/California).

If you think dogs are bad, once-upon-a-time they used wild hogs to seek out the truffles....you have no idea how hard it would be to stop a fully grown hog from eating the truffles it finds! ;-)

-psy

--------------------

Edited by psyconaut (11/11/02 04:58 AM)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1042511 - 11/11/02 05:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmmm? I'd always thought Perigord's were more expensive....go figure.

If you think dogs are bad, once-upon-a-time they used wild hogs to seek out the truffles....you have no idea how hard it would be to stop a fully grown hog from eating the truffles it finds! ;-)

-psy

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1042587 - 11/11/02 06:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The price is not related to quality in this case. The more common species is lower the price.

Yes, I heard about the hogs. I heard also that they can be found by looking for certain flies that are attracted to mature mushrooms. The last method would be the only to consider if you were not only after profit.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1042604 - 11/11/02 07:13 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So it would see that the Perigord is considered the most gourmet truffle by many, but is not the most expensive?

Truffles still don't do much for me.... ;-)

-psy

--------------------

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #1045560 - 11/12/02 05:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

As far as i know the black french truffles are the most exspensive. According to what i've been told, last year they were going for 500 a pound, wholesale. retail, is a different story. Selling them retail, you'll see prices of over a thousand dollars a pound(as far as i know) My idea, as far as truffles are concerned, is to sell 75% wholesale right away after harvest. Then sell the other 25% retail during the off season. I'm no expert(far from it) but i think that would balance out the net worth quite well.

I'm not worried about whether or not truffle prices will fluctuate. From the reasearch i've done, they will continue to rise in value. At the begging of the century about 2000 tons were produced annually. Now it's about 120 tons. The reason for this is because most truffles came from france back then(all truffles maybe) then when WW2 happened if fucked up the truffle industry alot. A huge amount of truffle lands were destroyed, and the world is still recovering from that. I know the demand is still there, and that the supply is still nowhere near meeting the demand. With that in mind, the only challenge is knowing what your doing if you want to grow truffles.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1045589 - 11/12/02 06:40 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The white truffel is Tuber magnatum
black (or Perigord) truffel is Tuber melanosporum
summer truffel (also black) is Tuber aestivum.

When I said that white truffels are more expensive I had in mind aestivum as black truffels. Tuber magnatum is about 4 times more expensive then aestivum:
http://www.wines.com/gourmet/truffles.html

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1045612 - 11/12/02 07:41 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, but everyone knows that summer truffles are crap ;-)

-psy

--------------------

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#1045744 - 11/12/02 10:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2446729.stm

interesting article about truffles on the BBC news website.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms