Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL]
    #10199654 - 04/20/09 04:15 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

'Mushrooms as far as you could see': Lenzburg man bags 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours
April 20, 2009 - bnd.com

NEW ATHENS -- A rotten day of turkey hunting turned into a remarkable day of mushroom hunting for David Jaimet.

Jaimet, of Lenzburg, picked a whopping 56 pounds of healthy yellow morels on Thursday after he tried -- unsuccessfully -- to bag a gobbler earlier in the day. Locals say it was the largest haul they've seen in years, maybe ever, in the area.

Jaimet sought the help of his buddy, Kent Mason, in New Athens, and the pair set out along the timber of the Kaskaskia River in southern St. Clair County in search of the delectable edible mushroom.

"I was turkey hunting and started seeing them all over the place," Jaimet said. "I said 'The heck with this,' and I went and picked Kent up. I figured I could kill a turkey some other time. I better get the mushrooms while I can.

"We went back out and picked 56 pounds of mushrooms in three hours. It was a great way to spend a vacation day."

Jaimet, a 45-year-old painter at Empire Comfort Systems in Belleville, and Mason used a boat to scour the banks and bottom land of the Kaskaskia River within a 20-mile radius of New Athens.

What they found were honeyhole after honeyhole, mostly under giant maple trees. They picked from 1 p.m. (when turkey hunting ends for the day in Illinois) until 4 p.m.

"There were mushrooms as far as you could see," Jaimet said. "We'd get all of those, hop in the boat and go to the next spot. All of the sudden, there would be another big patch of them. There'd be others here and there, but we'd pass them up and go to the big patches of them where you can sit on your knees and pick them."

Jaimet, who used a cell phone to communicate with Mason, picked morels until they both got tired. Jaimet began his turkey hunt at 4:30 a.m., called in a tom, shot and missed. That's when he decided to ditch gobblers for mushrooms.

Jaimet and Mason filled more than 12 white plastic shopping bags, with Jaimet getting 30 pounds and Mason 26 pounds. They brought their haul to Smitty's at the Marina in New Athens, where their bounty filled two 8-foot banquet tables and caused a stir among the campers and patrons of the bar.

"All the campers and travelers from all over the country -- they have people from Louisiana and the Carolinas and Michigan -- and they say they've never seen that many mushrooms in their life," Jaimet said. "People couldn't believe what they were seeing."

Jaimet's find offers further proof mushroom season is at its peak. After weeks of cool weather, the recent rains coupled with several warm days and evenings produced prime conditions for morels to sprout.

Cheri Smith, who owns Smitty's at the Marina in New Athens with her husband, Ervin "Smitty" Smith, said Jaimet isn't the only one who's having success.

"This is the best mushroom season I've been involved in," Smith said. "People are just coming in with bags and bags of mushrooms and showing everybody."

Typically, mushroom season is at its best in mid- to late April. Experts say the combination of moisture in the soil, amount of sunlight and temperature have to be in sync for morels to sprout.

However, the delicacy is a fickle entity. On March 31, Brad Feltman picked 335 morels in the backyard of his home in the middle of O'Fallon.

Morels often are found in the vicinity of elm trees, and Feltman speculated that several of his neighbor's elm trees that were cut down two years ago after an ice storm were the cause of the unique morel bonanza.

Smith said Jaimet's bounty was the talk of the town.

"That's the most mushrooms I've ever seen," Smith said. "And it isn't just one person coming in with stories of finding a lot of mushrooms, it's a lot of people. A guy came into the bar today and said 'Look at this picture on my cell phone. I found three dozen today.' I said 'Really? Look at this picture.' I showed him David's haul, and he's like 'Oh, my God.'"

Jaimet said he believes morel growth is cyclical around the Kaskaskia.

"They hardly ever grow in the bottoms," Jaimet said. "They were there a couple of years ago and they were there seven years ago, but they might not be back there again for years. I guess it's because of the floods or something."

Jaimet gave many of the morels to old-timers in the New Athens area who aren't able to hunt anymore and kept a bunch for himself.

He also said his haul stoked the interest of other "shroomers."

"The parking lots were full on Friday," Jaimet said. "The cat's out of the bag now."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: veggie]
    #10200451 - 04/20/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Wow! Wish i was hunting with them. Illinois is beautiful. Maybe i should move there someday

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: Almond Flour]
    #10200573 - 04/20/09 09:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

whats the point in getting that many? whats the value on them? how does it taste?

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

Offlineschutzemdown
Waste of Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Hoosier State Flag
Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: Groomies]
    #10200596 - 04/20/09 09:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

it's like 60$ a pound here in indana , I find them by the pound here. But it's still been to cold, this week will be warm and it's raining now. I have been looking in my usuall spots and heven't seen any. Those guys must be in southern Illinois.

--------------------
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you drugs.

Try practicing safe sex and go fuck yourself!

AMU

Offlineschutzemdown
Waste of Space
Male User Gallery

Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: schutzemdown]
    #10200598 - 04/20/09 09:41 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

They taste kinda nutty to me?

--------------------

AMU

Offlinealtershroom
Earth Cohabitant
Male

Loc: under a lake in the north...
    #10200842 - 04/20/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The taste is awesome, kinda of meaty and unlike most other mushrooms in flavor.

True I think we are a little too early here in Central and Northern Indiana. I found about 9 4 inch grays and yellows the other day n a honey hole so they are popping ,..just not full force yet.

--------------------

Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: veggie]
    #10200923 - 04/20/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

56 pounds of wild mycelical mass that did not have the chance of reproduce  :grrr:  :grrr:

--------------------
A weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: virus1824]
    #10201360 - 04/20/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

WTFF!!! thats not far from me, to be honest its snowing out right now again for fucks sake, on FOUR TWENTY@, morels should be sprouting any time up here then, thats a damn nice haul though goddamn i'm jealois.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: snoot]
    #10202442 - 04/20/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
WTFF!!! thats not far from me, to be honest its snowing out right now again for fucks sake, on FOUR TWENTY@, morels should be sprouting any time up here then, thats a damn nice haul though goddamn i'm jealois.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

InvisibleDontPlay
Yeah Science!
Male

Loc: On Land most of the time....
Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: neopet nub]
    #10205687 - 04/21/09 07:11 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You have to actually cook them up. Fry them in some butter they are actually a delicacy and are worth 40 dollars a gallon here.

I am hunting in southern indiana right now and Ive found about 3-4 pounds worth in the last week. Kinda slow as its been cold, warm, cold, warm every other day.

--------------------
My Trade List

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. 
    Hunter S. Thompson

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
~Thomas Jefferson

Edited by DontPlay (04/21/09 07:13 AM)

Offlineschutzemdown
Waste of Space
Male User Gallery

Re: 56 pounds of morels in 3 hours [IL] [Re: DontPlay]
    #10206186 - 04/21/09 10:01 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

These next couple days should produce nicely. Rained a lot last 2 days and 70's this week.

--------------------

AMU

Offlineshroomsoon
Stranger
Male

Loc: Georgia
    #10206891 - 04/21/09 12:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok now imagine 56 pounds of cubes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures