Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation?
    #10203302 - 04/20/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

title says it all really...

some friends and i made a glove box, but it was really clumsy to use, and my friend ended up putting way to much spore solution into each jar, and at one point lit his glove on fire! (lol)

if you're inoculating via spore syringe through holes stuffed with polyfill, is wiping down all surfaces with bleach/alcohol and bleach bombing the air in small room with no air circulation still relatively effective?

edit: and flaming the needle between every injection of course!

thanks!

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (04/20/09 07:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebeans
Stranger Danger!

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: protestsong]
    #10203324 - 04/20/09 07:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ehhh.... just be careful. Turn AC and fans off spray your environment with lysol let sit for 10 min or so, wipe your work space down with alcohol, jars included, flame your needle on each injection. you should be good. Doing it in the open is not bad as long as you are careful.

Offlinem08b08
BrainDead
Male

Loc: In The Fog
Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: protestsong]
    #10203330 - 04/20/09 07:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:onfire: :rofl2:
glove box would definitely help !
or try just a still air box,also get some lysol spray and spray it everywhere a few minutes before !

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: m08b08]
    #10203358 - 04/20/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

thanks beans
and yeah, i'm still smiling about the glove incident.

any more opinions?

--------------------

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (04/20/09 07:14 PM)

Offlinem08b08
BrainDead
Male

Loc: In The Fog
    #10203400 - 04/20/09 07:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

burn needle till red,wipe with alcohol
idk about you but when i rush i tend to fuck thing's up.so take you're time.be as sterile as possible !just work's out better in the end ! BTW are you using a pressure cooker or ? :shroompick:

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: m08b08]
    #10203420 - 04/20/09 07:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You get used to it after a little practive.

When you use a glovebox, you dont have to spray lysol/bleach everywhere. nor in the glovebox itself.

Clean out your glovebox with soapy water and leave the walls damp, transfer your stuff in. leave it for 10 minutes. Then go to work.

Wearing gloves is a good idea, your shedding skin cells all the time. And dont flame your needle inside the glovebox.

Do it outside. It will stay hot enough in the time it takes to get i inside that naything landing on it wont survive.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10203427 - 04/20/09 07:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I never use a glove box for spore injecting,  Just spray down the room with Lysol and flame the needle.  For G2G or agar work is the only time I use a GB and never have any problems.
    GL,
    CH

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: CH HELL]
    #10203539 - 04/20/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Lots of bad advice in this thread. 

Sure, inoculate in open air if you don't mind a high failure rate.

Never use lysol in a glovebox.  There is no need.  You're not going to rub your needle on the surface, nor are you going to dump out the contents of your jars inside.

Lysol is a SURFACE disinfectant.  It does nothing for the air.  If you spray it in the air, all you get is that nasty perfume stink they put in it.

I always laugh at new growers who claim to never have contamination.  I've been doing this many, many years, own a laminar flow hood, prepare my room correctly, sterilize everything in a pressure cooker at 20 psi, and I STILL get contamination from time to time.  Were I to cut corners and do things the lazy way, I'd get it a lot more of the time.

Keep your flame outside of the still air box.  All you need is arm holes to stick your arms through, and wear latex gloves.  It's easy to heat your tools red hot outside the box, and then move them back inside before they cool off.

Never wipe a needle or scalpel with alcohol after flame sterilizing.  You can't get cleaner than red hot, and the first drop of solution cools the needle back down.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #10203570 - 04/20/09 07:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:rolleyes:

A glove box is a $10 investment in this hobby that will allow you to do a lot of things like grain to grain transfers. You'll get used to it after a few rounds of inoculations. It will drastically decrease your chance for contamination - why not go ahead and establish good habits if you plan on doing this for a while?

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10203628 - 04/20/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

very good point. :grin:

thanks RR! so passing through the hot needle-tip won't damage the spores? i thought that's why you needed to wipe it with alcohol, to cool it down. i guess i was misinformed!

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10203686 - 04/20/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The first drop or 2 of solution will evaporate cooling the needle, and the rest flows freely. A few spores may die, but you have hundreds of thousands in a spore syringe, even if it looks clear.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Loc: 127.0.0.1
Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10203723 - 04/20/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

lol'ing so hard right now.

@RR:
What about through polyfil in 'open air'?

Edited by OutThisLife (04/20/09 08:13 PM)

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: OutThisLife]
    #10204560 - 04/20/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

thanks veda... :thumbup:

off to work then :grin:

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10204569 - 04/20/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well i inoculated 5 WBS jars using my glove box, and it went a lot better than last time! i still put in way more spore solution than i intended, and the polyfill came out of one of the holes, :frown: but at least i didn't set my glove on fire!

thanks for all the help, and happy 420!

--------------------

Edited by protestsong (04/20/09 10:55 PM)

OfflineShroomer Smurf
Slacker

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10205022 - 04/21/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Never wipe a needle or scalpel with alcohol after flame sterilizing.  You can't get cleaner than red hot, and the first drop of solution cools the needle back down.
RR

I've been doing that with my LC syringes with no contams yet. I recently made some jar lids with rubber injector ports. I didn't want to damage the ports with the hot needle. I flame the needle real good, and then cover it with a paper towel soaked with alcohol. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between flaming and injecting into the rubber port? I want the lids to last as long as they can. :smile:

Thanks A Lot. :stoned:

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
    #10205055 - 04/21/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

indeed, I still clean my glove box with alcohol and spray with oust (air sanitizer)

Im anal about keeping shit clean when doing low batch runs of anything.

I'll put a table in a room and alcohol the shit out of it and bleach the walls then run an air sanitizer for 2 hours before going in with a paint suit on to do large batch inoculations of portobellos, trumpets, namekos, etc.

my friend once said I look like a serial killer going in to butcher someone.

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

Offlineev0ldave
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10205158 - 04/21/09 01:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

protestsong said:
title says it all really...

some friends and i made a glove box, but it was really clumsy to use, and my friend ended up putting way to much spore solution into each jar, and at one point lit his glove on fire! (lol)

if you're inoculating via spore syringe through holes stuffed with polyfill, is wiping down all surfaces with bleach/alcohol and bleach bombing the air in small room with no air circulation still relatively effective?

edit: and flaming the needle between every injection of course!

thanks!

that is the technique i use -- poly fill, 10% bleach spray bottle for the air, and flaming the needle and wiping the needle and jar with alcohol before every injection.  No contaminations yet

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: ev0ldave]
    #10205183 - 04/21/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

my glove box, cost me six bucks....no contams, priceless.....

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinejadels215

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #10205672 - 04/21/09 07:04 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ive never used a glove box to noc up my jars. none of my brf or wbs jars have contamed. just tried to be sterile as possible.

OfflineHellRide420
Stranger

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: jadels215]
    #10205722 - 04/21/09 07:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

What bout when you're knocking up myco bags? Is it even less contam prone w/out glove box, more, or equal?

--------------------
A girl on my MSN is a really hot chick. She seduces me a lot. We will meet in 6 months for sex. Her f*ck buddy is computer illiterate. She sells her p*ssy to me if I research stuff for him. He lives in the British Virgin Islands

Therefore, as a real man I must keep my mushroom wet, it gets too light when it dries up. So, I will ask a lot of questions. Just think...every time one of you helps me I get that much more closer to her p*ssy.

I also post in first person because it's a lot easier than saying the sexual partner of a girl I have on MSN is wondering...every single post!

Offlinejadels215

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: HellRide420]
    #10205921 - 04/21/09 08:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

it shouldnt be any different than noccing up jars. its better to have a flowhood/glove box but the most important thing is to be as sterile as you can be

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: is it really necessary to use a glove box for WBS syringe inoculation? [Re: jadels215]
    #10208912 - 04/21/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

love your avatar jadels! i'm addicted to BME... in mod we trust! :grin:

my glovebox is the sort where the gloves are permanently sealed in place... i see now how this may not be the easiest way to go, logistically speaking.

when it comes time to do grain to grain transfers, i think i'll take the gloves off the box and just use the arm holes. if i ever get a fully colonized jar that is!

thanks for all the info

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag