Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

How I prep large amounts of grain
    #10195261 - 04/19/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I make 10-12 large growbags worth of grain spawn at once.  It takes most of the day because I am using WBS with about %50 cracked corn which the cracked corn retains a lot of water on the outside.  After heating and draining it takes about 45min to properly dry.  Rye grain though dries very quickly and I can dry a batch in about 15min.  It is just WBS with cracked corn is very cheap ($6/50lbs) and I'm on a tight budget atm.  Plus the corn is more nutritional with higher amounts of oil and protein.  I use both the sink countertop and table at same time but this pick is taken on my last batch so only table is shown.  I have 2 towels on the table with ends rolled up to make a border.  Aluminum window screen lays on top and grain gets mixed every 10-20min.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I prep large amounts of grain [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10195522 - 04/19/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Looks good, how long do you soak and heat the corn for?

I have also used cracked corn with success.

Ciao

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
Re: How I prep large amounts of grain [Re: solumvita]
    #10196659 - 04/19/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Buckeye i have been thinking about using corn.. i can get cracked or whole corn kernel. My family does alotta farming .. corn cotton.. i use brown rice for spawn now from the grocery store.. but i bet i could get corn alot cheaper. what is your tek for crack corn?? have u ever used whole kernels?. i got 10# of wbs outside soaking in water now.there is alotta millit in there hardly any sunflowers. i just bought it cause it was on clearence. i have never used it before. let me know your tek

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: How I prep large amounts of grain [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #10197242 - 04/19/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

There are popcorn teks up here, so I don't imagine using field corn would be any different.  I've been using oats from a feed store for spawn.  They're 'dirty,' in the sense that I find field peas, pieces of corn, milo and other smaller seeds mixed in with oats.  I leave it all in, and mushroom mycelium doesn't have a problem with eating it.

The major point of using grains for spawn is that they're... granular, and nutrient rich.  Anything like that should work just fine, as long as it can maintain its structural integrity after being soaked and sterilized.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
    #10197499 - 04/19/09 07:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SOUTHERN said:
Hey Buckeye i have been thinking about using corn.. i can get cracked or whole corn kernel. My family does alotta farming .. corn cotton.. i use brown rice for spawn now from the grocery store.. but i bet i could get corn alot cheaper. what is your tek for crack corn?? have u ever used whole kernels?. i got 10# of wbs outside soaking in water now.there is alotta millit in there hardly any sunflowers. i just bought it cause it was on clearence. i have never used it before. let me know your tek

I've had great results with both brown rice and unpopped popcorn.  Lately I have only been using unpopped popcorn, it is about $1.50 per 2 lb bag. I just follow the popcorn tek in the "grain spawn" section of this website.  You just soak the unpopped popcorn kernels in water for 24 hours, then boil/simmer for about an hour, drain for about an hour and then PC.

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
Re: How I prep large amounts of grain [Re: jjb007]
    #10197544 - 04/19/09 07:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i see what your saying about the unpopped popcorn. The feed corn around here doesn't look like that, but i'm sure it can't be to different.  I'll get some corn and try it .. if i can figure out the corn i can save some money...

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

#10198004 - 04/19/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Man ... $6 for 50 lbs of wbs!?? Thats awesome.

Im still paying $12.99 for a 40lbs bag from pet smart.

Where are you guys getting this shit so cheap??

Ive been using foomans tek for wbs for over a year now and it works great and is WAY simpler then all that soaking tek bs ... lol.

To each his own of course but Ive found soaking is completely unnecessary.

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove, dump the WBS in.
2. Turn off the burner, remove the pot from the burner, and cover with a lid.
3. Let set for 60 minutes
4. Drain and load in jars. I dont even let it set, I take the pot and tip it in the sink to drain, and load the jars immediately (I do rinse once or twice though)
5. PC for 60 minutes.

DONE

Easily around 150 jars done that way now and probably 3 or 4 contamed on me.

Easy peasy japenesy ... just the way I like it.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#10198236 - 04/19/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SOUTHERN said:

Whole kernel corn takes a lot of time boiling to get hydrated enough.  Cracked corn by itself is fine, but you will lose out on having smaller milo/millet for numerous inoculation points and it will take a long time to dry off the outside moisture.

I soak 4-24hrs after rinsing very very well.  Cook pot on high for about 15-20min till it just begins to simmer.  Mix with a large spoon/spatula if doing a lot every 5 min to keep bottom from burning.  Then drain into strainers or screen and place infront of fan.  Mix up every 15-20min for WBS crack corn mixes and every 5-10min for just WBS.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates