Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: learningtofly]
    #10197046 - 04/19/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

wwTMd?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Denying Awareness [Re: deCypher]
    #10197062 - 04/19/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what would you do if the aliens descended from the sky one fine day whilst you're enjoying some magic mushroom tea and told you that the world was going to end in 2012?

Um, change my name to Pinchbeck and write a book...

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10197077 - 04/19/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:rofl2:

--------------------

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

#10197079 - 04/19/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have read half of a pinchbeck book, half of a TM book and half of a Leary book. I found it all quite boring. I don't get the attraction. I figured out how to trip all by myself and I didn't even have an internet.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: 4 Way Street]
    #10197092 - 04/19/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I have read half of a pinchbeck book, half of a TM book and half of a Leary book.

1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 1 whole book.

--------------------

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

#10197104 - 04/19/09 06:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

When I was in college my professor said the first calculators weren't guaranteed to give the correct answer. I guess he was right.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: Mastamike1118]
    #10197607 - 04/19/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mastamike1118 said:
awareness is closer to two than one...

in a sense this is the best clue of the thread.
in very quiet meditation, just bare attention is applied.
what arises is not ignored, but nothing is ramified, dwelled on, or expanded.
things arise and pass without dragging the meditator into chains of associative thought.

this can be contrasted to not noticing things because you are too busy or involved in some thought process that consumes the awareness.

because the meditator is on about meditation, things arise but they are not encouraged to resonate, because attention is returned to the practice: the awareness is not introduced to any side trips: the arising is permitted to fade away without getting any extra role on the stage of consciousness.

the stage of consciousness, which is where awareness plays out, is the cerebral cortex. awareness is not separate from consciousness, they are the same process - consciousness usually taken as the totality of signals resonating in the cortex, and awareness usually as an occupancy of that - through time or a voidness of self (anatta) through time.

I like to think of it in terms of a smear, like an electrical pattern smeared accross a bit of time.

in each 3 second window of time the smear may seem to have a different character thrust or direction, but the meditator levels that with his practice, during his practice by returning to the practice. redirecting the attention to the work.

is it spiritual, yes! is it physical, yes, though so far we only measure a part of the activity EEG, like trying to get video out of morse code (dots and dashes), so some people say that it is not physical because we do not have the pictures developed yet.

Fair enough until TV was made, who would have believed you could get pictures on a radio, on a tape, in a computer on a disk or chip attached to your keychain.

so it is more like 2 than 1 in the sense that it overlaps onto its succession or smears over what is fading in time.
this impact or crossover is very significant, like a baton hand off in a relay race.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: redgreenvines]
    #10198387 - 04/19/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

your boy is a killer...

a truth that doesnt really mean anything in a sense can mean everything just like you proved here... (damn thats some buddhist shit lol everything to nothing lol???right???)

when i said it i attached a completely different meaning to it...lol kinda... but still it works out...

Edited by Mastamike1118 (04/19/09 10:11 PM)

OfflineDrakion
Wo kommst du?
Male

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: Chronic7]
    #10199824 - 04/20/09 05:47 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

You can deny all the mystical mumbo jumbo, acupuncture, reiki, astral projection, visualisation, crystal balls, psychics, telepathy or the concept of spirituality, but you can not deny Awareness. To do so is to deny yourself.

I agree to some part.

I think human kind seek to understand all things, and in things it does not understand it will interpret and create. Actions (scrying, card reading, rune casting) and establishments (name any one of thousands of religions) are human attempts at explaining the (currently) unexplained and learning the (yet) unknown.

The issue I have with the aforementioned actions and establishments are, they seem to not work. Heck, it's been over 30 years and no one has claimed James Randi's million dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi).

Yes, saying "We don't know" is denying ourselves. However I feel an individual who can honestly say: I don't know is infinitely wiser than an individual who says: I see it in the stars. True wisdom isn't reveling in what you know, but understanding how much you do not.

--------------------
Choosing a religion is like playing the lotto, you can't get saved if you don't play! ~ Bill Maher

The efficiency of the truly national leader consists primarily in preventing the division of the attention of a people, and always in concentrating it on a single enemy. ~Adolf Hitler

10 years in an American prison right here folks, be careful!

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: Drakion]
    #10200722 - 04/20/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Drakion said:
I think human kind seek to understand all things, and in things it does not understand it will interpret and create. Actions (scrying, card reading, rune casting) and establishments (name any one of thousands of religions) are human attempts at explaining the (currently) unexplained and learning the (yet) unknown.

The issue I have with the aforementioned actions and establishments are, they seem to not work. Heck, it's been over 30 years and no one has claimed James Randi's million dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi).

Bear in mind that if anyone actually could scry, read minds, or perform telekinesis, why would they want to publicize their talents?  I'm sure money and power are easily acquirable if you can read the minds of the people you're playing poker with or if you can shoplift with the powers of your mind; why would you risk being seized by the government for the ostensible protection of the public?

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Denying Awareness [Re: Drakion]
    #10200737 - 04/20/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have much respect for the man that says, "I don't know."  We so seldom see that anywhere, least of all on the Internet.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10201585 - 04/20/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

"I don't know." How many respect points did I earn?

--------------------

OfflineDrakion
Wo kommst du?
Male

Re: Denying Awareness [Re: deCypher]
    #10201715 - 04/20/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Bear in mind that if anyone actually could scry, read minds, or perform telekinesis, why would they want to publicize their talents?  I'm sure money and power are easily acquirable if you can read the minds of the people you're playing poker with or if you can shoplift with the powers of your mind; why would you risk being seized by the government for the ostensible protection of the public?

Well there have been many, many who tried. For a long while Mr. Randi had a show where people would come on to prove their mind reading, water witching, reading power crystals, and tons of other stuff. They all failed.

He had a women who was employed by the British government (apparently already seized?) who was "psychic". She claimed to be able to touch objects and see into its past. Mr. Randi obtained roughly 7 tools that could be lethal if used with ill intent, one of which was an axe that was used in true murder(s). The women felt the axe and said it was just a normal wood axe or some such, and moved right by it like it was nothing. And yes, she was employed because of her said "abilities".

If there are people who can scry, read minds, and use telekinesis, they should be wearing tights, and kicking it with the people who can fly, have invisibility, and use super strength.

--------------------
Choosing a religion is like playing the lotto, you can't get saved if you don't play! ~ Bill Maher

The efficiency of the truly national leader consists primarily in preventing the division of the attention of a people, and always in concentrating it on a single enemy. ~Adolf Hitler

OfflineDrakion
Wo kommst du?
Male

#10201720 - 04/20/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
"I don't know." How many respect points did I earn?

I don't know.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate