Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSentient#6
Servant of the Gods
Male

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Jack Albertson]
    #10188764 - 04/18/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Is immortality deemed new age?

If it were 1920 and Albert Einstein said he could kill 100,000 people instantaneously; by releasing the energy that's holding the tip of your finger nail together, that would seem new age...right?

--------------------
Last night I was honored with the Nobel Prize in theoretical physics. This worldwide recognition has given me the opportunity to bring hope to a war-ravaged world. I vowed to myself I would work like a dog at this. But now, it's 10:30 in the morning and I'm just getting out of bed. I did get up earlier around 8:00am, but I just lied in bed for a while, and then...jerked off. I've got to stop masturbating, it makes me too lazy. Stop it Albert...stop it.

~Albert Einstein.

Edited by Sentient#6 (04/18/09 09:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Chronic7]
    #10188766 - 04/18/09 09:22 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Communications breakdown, it's always the same. 

Words are everything. 
Often times people are put off with what someone communicates because they get lost in the jargon.  It's not that they won't understand the message, it's that they can't follow it.

The fault does not lie with the listener if the speaker is a poor communicator.

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Sentient#6]
    #10188774 - 04/18/09 09:25 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Read Leonard Orr's 'The Common Sense of Immortality' a book that was very popular with the New Age crowd in the late '80s. Then check out Chopra's 'Ageless Body, Timeless Mind'.

Now go look up recent photos of these authors and draw your own conlusions.

--------------------

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10188778 - 04/18/09 09:27 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Do you just make this stuff up? What leads you to believe that rationalists are more fearful than irrationalists?

It seems that few here really want a genuine discussion... just some Saturday morning sparring.

You are changing what I said, how can I reply to what I didn't say?

I did say that materialist are afraid of new agey things. This is evident because they are the ones who constantly voice their disapproval. They write books and create forums dedicated to disproving what others believe. I don't see new agey people doing that. New agey people seem content with striving for happiness and healing people. Debunkers dwell in a negative mind set and try to insult other people by calling them things like "irrationalists".

How can you participate in a genuine discussion when you twist other people's words, insult them and fail to back up your claims? You are the one preventing yourself from encountering genuine discussions. Only you can prevent forest fires.

InvisibleZanthius
Mean Alien
Male

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Chronic7]
    #10188806 - 04/18/09 09:33 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
Right, some people who seem intelligent dismiss certain theories the second they are heard merely due to the fact that people use new age or spiritual type terminology, like consciousness, prana, life-force energy, awareness, unconditional love etc...

Our languages are changing continuously, and it is a completely natural process. Most of the people speaking Arabic cannot understand the original version of the Quran, and most native English speakers living today cannot understand Shakespeare.

InvisibleSentient#6
Servant of the Gods
Male

#10188825 - 04/18/09 09:39 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

If you tried to explain to someone in the 1800s the very basic idea of a light bulb, no one would take you seriously.

I'm not the biggest fan of ghosts/martians/reptilians/magic/NWO/purpose and so on. But I think these ideas are just humans way of trying to explain the infinite sense of awe and in a way mysticism they perceive all around them.

And anyway, nothing is as it seems. Humans are still in their infancy stage. Or maybe more like adolescence...

I'm sure in 100 years time, new discovers will be made that will blow things like splitting atoms, black holes, quantum mechanics, dreams, and other current marvels out of the water.

--------------------
Last night I was honored with the Nobel Prize in theoretical physics. This worldwide recognition has given me the opportunity to bring hope to a war-ravaged world. I vowed to myself I would work like a dog at this. But now, it's 10:30 in the morning and I'm just getting out of bed. I did get up earlier around 8:00am, but I just lied in bed for a while, and then...jerked off. I've got to stop masturbating, it makes me too lazy. Stop it Albert...stop it.

~Albert Einstein.

Edited by Sentient#6 (04/18/09 09:40 AM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: 4 Way Street]
    #10188835 - 04/18/09 09:42 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

I did say that materialist are afraid of new agey things.

Opinion not based in fact. How many materialists have you interviewed and how did you judge their fear-factor?

BTW, what do you call people who use the fruits of materialism to decry materialism?

Ever spend much time in a bookstore? There are dozens of books on Roswell and the Bermuda Triangle, but you will have to look hard to find (they do exist) books that deconstruct these myths. Why do you think that is?

Quote:

Debunkers dwell in a negative mind set...

Really? Helping people uncover the truth about a falsehood is considered negative? Hmmm, so every single story told should be swallowed whole without question? I guess the TV cast of 'MythBusters' are fearful, negative people.

At least you don't go in for name-calling... :rolleyes:

Spread the love!

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Sentient#6]
    #10188847 - 04/18/09 09:46 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Light bulbs and atomic energy, like all inventions, are far-fetched until proven/accepted, but BOTH had tons of groundwork laid.

Homeopathy, astrology, acupuncture, water crystals that respond to mood, alien visitation - these things have zero groundwork which points to pure fantasy.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#10188854 - 04/18/09 09:48 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Who says fantasy isn't useful?

Traditional astrology is groundless but there is a secret different kind of astrology that actually works. I'll teach you for $100 paypal.

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Loc: SOLARIS
    #10188863 - 04/18/09 09:49 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

Opinion not based in fact. How many materialists have you interviewed and how did you judge their fear-factor?

BTW, what do you call people who use the fruits of materialism to decry materialism?

Ever spend much time in a bookstore? There are dozens of books on Roswell and the Bermuda Triangle, but you will have to look hard to find (they do exist) books that deconstruct these myths. Why do you think that is?

Quote:

Really? Helping people uncover the truth about a falsehood is considered negative? Hmmm, so every single story told should be swallowed whole without question? I guess the TV cast of 'MythBusters' are fearful, negative people.

Spread the love!

roswell was debunked the day after the newspapers reported the ufo crash. The government gave us an official story, weather balloons! so anyone who wrote a book debunking it wasted their time. As far as the bermuda triangle is concerned are you speaking of the methane bubbles explanation? If so that doesnt cover the claims of time travel, or instantaneous transmission.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#10188872 - 04/18/09 09:51 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Light bulbs and atomic energy, like all inventions, are far-fetched until proven/accepted, but BOTH had tons of groundwork laid.

Homeopathy, astrology, acupuncture, water crystals that respond to mood, alien visitation - these things have zero groundwork which points to pure fantasy.

so thousands of years of chinese medicine is fantasy? Maybe to the west, but try telling that to the billions of chinese that still practice.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #10188896 - 04/18/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

OC's ideas have been thoroughly debunked.  They're debunked because I say they are.  Hey, it works for him. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Silversoul]
    #10188908 - 04/18/09 09:59 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I know this stuff about him, but i still want to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's tricky i'm not sure if he's joking or not, but i do love to laugh.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

#10188912 - 04/18/09 10:00 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

I admit it is my opinion based in observation. You are the one who claims their opinions are facts.

Quote:

There are no fruits of materialism.

Quote:

There are books trying to explain the phenomena. I don't believe that either as been conclusively proven to be a myth.

Quote:

Quote:

Spread the love!

You are helping people uncover the truth, how very christian of you.
:rolleyes:

Well you carry on with the fruitful pursuit of mocking stupid beliefs.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10188913 - 04/18/09 10:00 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

so thousands of years of chinese medicine is fantasy?

Interesting that you see fit to extrapolate based on nothing. If I disagree with hysterectomies does that mean I dismiss all of western medicine?

Quote:

Maybe to the west, but try telling that to the billions of chinese that still practice.

Do you understand that this is a common philosophical fallacy that is covered in the stickied thread that everyone should read? Appeal to the Populace is not a cogent argument. Using your argument, Extenze actually does make your penis larger because 10 million people are suckers.

ALL tests on acupuncture show no difference than placebo. End of story.

--------------------

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

#10188929 - 04/18/09 10:03 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

ALL tests by whom? show me every test that's ever been done, and then show me that theyve all debunked it.

--------------------
TRANSCEND

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #10188938 - 04/18/09 10:06 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

what about the claim that a razorblade left in the pyramids gets sharpened by itself? that's pretty new age imo.

--------------------

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

#10188941 - 04/18/09 10:06 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
ALL tests on acupuncture show no difference than placebo. End of story.

Untrue, many test prove acupuncture works. Go to China and study their tests. In the US many tests show acupuncture works for some things. Insurance will pay for acupuncture, they usually find it unprofitable to pay for placebo.

Chinese medicine is more than acupuncture. It includes qigong, diet, and herbs as well.

InvisibleChronic7
    #10188943 - 04/18/09 10:06 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

WOW this is the worst thread ive ever made & its blown up quicker than any other

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

You don't want consciousness? Better knock yourself out then

i always thought unconsciousness was a form of consciousness

i wasn't being too correct with my terminology :wink:

just making a point that non-spiritual people are simply running away from the truth

why would they keep coming to a spiritual forum asking for proof?
its a waste of their time no?
people only spend time on what they think is important
therfore the non spiritual people who post in a spiritual forum consider spirituality important!

:peace:

--------------------

Invisible4 Way Street
Stranger

Re: New Age/Spiritual Terminology [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #10188946 - 04/18/09 10:07 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
what about the claim that a razorblade left in the pyramids gets sharpened by itself? that's pretty new age imo.

How do you determine what is new age and what is not?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order