Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Castings vs. Coffee + PH??
    #10187315 - 04/17/09 11:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

* Would worm castings be a good, if not better than adding coffee?

* Which one is more beneficial for shrooms?

* Whats the deal with PH controversy, acidic invites contam germination, but is good for myc growth, but an alkaline PH 7-8 is good for primordia- what ever its called formation, and for fighting off contams.

Go ahead and flame the grammar if you feel the need.

If you sacrifice the myc growth (speed), for fruit formation, how much of a difference would it make in terms of time-to-colonization ?

How many people actually pay attention to PH, and is adjustment really needed on an average basis? Again what differences would there really be between PH levels in your grows?

That's all for now.

--------------------
American by Nature....  unamerican by Law :mafioso:

"Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Castings vs. Coffee + PH?? [Re: Bugzy]
    #10187470 - 04/18/09 12:22 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

but an alkaline PH 7-8 is good for primordia-

Not so.

Most mushroom species prefer an acidic substrate, as do most molds.  The ONLY reason we lime casing layers is to make them less hospitable to mold spore germination, since the casing layer usually doesn't fully colonize.  Established mycelium, whether mold or mushroom, can tolerate a high pH.  It's only the spores that are inhibited from germination in a basic pH environment.  Primordia are not stimulated by high pH.

No bulk substrate ingredient is really any better than any other, if you take into account the species you're growing.  Mushrooms like worm castings and they like coffee.  They also like straw, dung, coir, etc., and perhaps best is to mix them all together in any quantity that you have them.  It also helps to cut bulk substrates with vermiculite at up to 50% of the total substrate by volume.  You don't lime substrates or worry about pH.  You only lime casing layers for reasons stated above.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Re: Castings vs. Coffee + PH?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10187540 - 04/18/09 12:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

When you say 50% by volume ( I just realized in a previous post that I have had a large misunderstanding when it comes too mixing subs), do you mean 50% of the substrate or 50% of the sub added too the sub.

Example of my confusion:

If you had a total of 10qts sub, adding 50% verm would be 5qts added to the 10qts(15qts total), or make up 5 out of the 10qts?

Still not getting the mixing understood as far as, well the whole thing I guess.

1:1 ratio for a 10qt volume would be what..... 5qts spawn, 1qt gypsum, 2.5qts verm and 2.5qts poo,straw,coir etc. right? or am I still ass backwards?

Lastly, your saying the only time you need too worry about PH is when casing and there is no purpose for substrate Ph adjustment.

--------------------
American by Nature....  unamerican by Law :mafioso:

"Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation