Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
history of the weilli?
    #1018205 - 11/03/02 11:04 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was hoping one of you cats could tell me more about weilli.

From what I understand they were discovered in 95 or something like that.  Who found it and where?

How do these shrooms get discovered anyhow?  Does someone just happen to pick an unusual shroom only to find that its active?

From what I understand, weillis were hard to find, but now they are everywhere it seems.  Why?

What are the chemicals in a weilli?

Full of questions this morning  :tongue:  Hopefully one of you "old-timers" will enlighten a newbie.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

Re: history of the weilli? [Re: subterranean]
    #1018232 - 11/03/02 11:31 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Discovery made by Dr. Andrew Weil...

do a google search on him to learn about his studies... pretty interesting guy.

--------------------
my signature is too long

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1018354 - 11/03/02 12:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, like jahfeelirie said, Dr. Andrew Weili discovered them in Cherokee County, Georgia in 1995. He had picked them and realized that they looked like a Psilocybe but he'd never seen anything like them before. He had them checked out and all that good stuff and found they were a new species. It's the same procedure pretty much everytime.
One of our very own, LizardKing, has discovered a active species new species here in Georgia. He discovered that they were active by checking that they have all the key characteristic of an active psilocybe, then he "bioassyed" them :smile: ... I'm sure he'll see this post, I'll let him tell ya about the new species.

As far as the chemcials found in weilii... welll I don't think there's been a chromatograph done on them(someone correct me if I'm wrong), so we're not 100% sure... but we know there sure is a lot of psilocybin/psilocin :smile: 

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Gumby]
    #1018503 - 11/03/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought It was simply named after Weil. I know Stamets, Guzman, and Tapia authored it, but Im not sure who actually discovered it. As far as chemicals go, Weiliis are known to contain the usual group of chemicals, as well as a signifigant amount of L-Tryptophan (the precursor to Psilocybian and Psilocin). L-Tryptophan is unique to this species at such high levels .30%+

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Remy]
    #1018534 - 11/03/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, you were right Remy... I just looked for some info and here's what I found:

http://www.stainblue.com/andrewweil.html
"In lieu of his numerous contributions to the fields of ethnomycology, ethnobotany and ethnopharmacology, Dr. Weil was given the distinction of having an entheogenic Psilocybe mushroom named in his honor: Psilocybe weilii was discovered in 1995 in Cherokee County, Georgia. A lignicolous species belonging to the Section Cordisporae, this blue-staining mushroom prefers a red-clay soil habitat beneath loblolly pines (Pinus taeda) where it fruits in groups or dense clusters (September through November). Chemical analysis of this mushroom revealed .05% baeocystin; .61% psilocybin; .27% psilocin; and .32% L-tryptophan (as unconverted psilocybin). Psilocybe weilii was authored by Dr. Gaston Guzman, Fidel Tapia, and mycologist Paul Stamets."

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
    #1018864 - 11/03/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Weili wallpaper from The Ones that Stain Blue (I think).

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1018994 - 11/03/02 04:23 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Wasn't it discovered after north Georgia got soaked by a hurricane the year before?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisiblenuGGs
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1019316 - 11/03/02 08:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

one thing that has been bothering me about the weilii is that everyone has their own way of saying the word.  i call them "wheelys", my friend calls them "wail-eyes" and another dood calls them wileys.  which one of us is right?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: nuGGs]
    #1019351 - 11/03/02 08:32 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Dr. Andrew Weil's name is pronounced to
sound like "while". My guess the pronunciation
would be "while - eye". IMHO

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: history of the weilli? [Re: nuGGs]
    #1019380 - 11/03/02 08:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1019395 - 11/03/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have no clue what you're talking about.... "soaked by a hurricane the year before"?

Hurricane Opal hit in 95 and dummped a ton of rain, if thats what you're talking about. I remember the night that it hit... still had sustained winds at 75mph, it was good fun. The only day they've cancled school because of anything other than snow :smile: 

Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

Re: history of the weilli? [Re: ]
    #1019479 - 11/03/02 09:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

you just blew my mind.

Wiley-Eyes?

DAMN .

guess i wont call em wail-eyes anymore

--------------------
my signature is too long

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: ]
    #1019504 - 11/03/02 09:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i thought it was a double long E.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
    #1019515 - 11/03/02 09:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks to everyone that responded.....interesting stuff. I did some searching after gumby posted the chemical analysis info and the L-tryptophan has interesting qualities, both good and bad depending on which research you read.

As far as discovery of the wielli, and this is just a newbie thinking out loud so forgive me if this is a stupid azzzz question, but surely they have been around the area for awhile.....right?? I'm just trying to understand how they can be hard to find a few years ago to being all over the place a few years later.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1020156 - 11/04/02 05:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting that stainblue would post that - i was unaware that tryptophan (gartz) and psilocybin were direct derivatives.

--------------------

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1020358 - 11/04/02 07:43 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

my first thought about the tryptophan is "i wonder if that has anything to do with the yawns some people get." isn't tryptophan the stuff in turkey that makes one sleepy after thanksgiving dinner?

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Bilge]
    #1020734 - 11/04/02 11:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Bilge]
    #1021648 - 11/04/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Mr. mushooms is correct, they are called while E eye, but I call them while lee cuz it sounds better to me :smile: They were discovered a few days after hurricane opal, so the theory of the hurricane bringing weilii to GA doesn't work for obvious reasons. They were discovered by a lady named Liz in southeastern cherokee county in 95'.

The reason they are so abundant this year was because of the hurricanes we had come up from the gulf and dump rain all over the state. This really helped make a killer year for weilii, as I'm sure hurricane opal did for the weilii back in 95', which is probably why the were discovered after a hurricane, cuz they come out in mass numbers everywhere shortly after!

Who knows what chemicals are in weilii? The only unique chemical isolated from weilii was tryptophan, but there are hundreds of other unknown unidentified chemicals in weilii as well as lots of other mushroom species. The simple cubensis still has lots of chemicals that have yet to be identified or isolated.

Off subject and to all who are waiting for prints or emails from me. My dad had been really sick for a month, he was passing blood in his stool and fainting quite frequently. He was walking up the stairs in his home when he passed out and came tumbling back down the stairs backwards head first. We took him to the emergency room and he has been there for 2 weeks now. He has severe ulcers in his stomach and has lost half his blood, he needed 9 blood transfusions. I have been with him in the hospital for the past few weeks and trying to keep our family buisness running at the same time, my mind hasn't even pondered the subject of mushrooms much at all lately and I'm sorry to those of you who are waiting on me for whatever reason.

I am back now, and my dad is doing much better, though he has had to give up drinking and can get kinda cranky sometimes now :smile:

I will PM those of you who have made deals with me either tonight or tommaorw, I gotta go take a shower and relax a little, was a rough day today at work :frown:

Thanks for your understanding, if you know someone who is waiting for a response from me please forward this info to them, thanks.

BTW: Sorry to do this in this thread, I just didn't want to make a post about it and I don't have time right now to get in touch with everyone I need talk with.

LK,

--------------------

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: Lizard King]
    #1021664 - 11/04/02 04:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So will they be abundant next year? I dident get a chance to pick any and would love to make a trip and pick some. Im almost positive its too late now and Im depending on next year. Do you think they will be around next year? How hard were they to find before this year? Any indoor cultivation attempts/tek's? Thanks

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: history of the weilli? [Re: resin]
    #1021677 - 11/04/02 04:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They are always abundant, just not as abundant as years when hurricanes hit :smile: I wouldn't waste my time driving here for a hunt this time of year, wait till next year, they'll be out in may sometime at the latest.

LK,

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract