Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Instinct = Reincarnation = Oversoul ?
    #1613295 - 06/05/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

After reading the thread about reincarnation, I remembered something I had recently been discussing with someone about instinct. Keep in mind these are excerpt from a conversation, so they may seem a little incoherant.

One thing I noticed in during my "trips", I think about the evolution of humanity alot. I just feel like I can figure out why we evolved the behaviors we have today.

I think instinct is endowed. Isn't that preset thoughts? Birds are able to build nests without training. I've seen dogs that were bred for certain behavior display it perfectly, although they were never in an environment to learn it. Human babies instinctively know how to nurse, and cry when they want something. I think that we have many instincts we are born with, it our ability for higher reasoning that can, and most times does, overpower it. But I still think it is something we have forever. I think that many emotions are also instinctual. I know it seems highly improbable, even to me, but maybe we know more than we realize through instinct.

I don't think that a bird's ability to build a nest is a hunch. Or the dog story I was referring to are dogs that are known for their herding ability...I had one that had never been exposed to it, but the instant he was around cattle, he took off and herded them into a corral.

The mating behaviour of a fish called the three-spined stickleback includes many examples of instinct. The male stickleback chooses a mating area and drives other fish from it. He then collects plants and forms them into a small mound. He wriggles through the completed mound, creating a tunnel. This tunnel, which is slightly shorter than the fish, becomes his nest. Meanwhile, his normally dull-coloured body has changed colour. His belly becomes bright red and his back bluish-white. He then starts to court females. Whenever a female, her abdomen swollen with eggs, enters his mating area, he swims toward her and performs a zigzagging "dance." He continues this dance until a female follows him to his nest, where she lays her eggs. She then swims away, and the male fertilizes the eggs. He stays near the nest to protect the eggs and, later, the young.

The stickleback does not learn his complicated mating ceremony. Yet all male sticklebacks perform basically the same actions. They are born with the pattern built into their nervous system.

If this isn't something that is instinsic to their DNA, where does it come from? I know you said that DNA stores the specific stuctures in the brain, but since we still don't really know how the brain stores memory, is this any different than what I said?

Now I know that these are actually more complex than what most would consider human instinct (ability to nurse, smile, and cry), but what of emotions. Are they instinctual?

This had me thinking. Do you think that reincarnation memories could be nothing more than a misunderstood form of instinct? I mean how much knowledge is actually imprinted enough to allow us to know it? And you could take this a bit further as well. What if instinct or predefined memory was the oversoul. What if it wasn't spriritual but physical? As in something we are born with, not something coming in from an outside source.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCougheeman
enthusiast
Re: Instinct = Reincarnation = Oversoul ? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1613402 - 06/05/03 11:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

good point, however reincarnation memories involve little to do with survival or a instinctual habit; i think most of them have something to do with who the person was in a previous life. I myself am not aware of the creditability of these sources, so they could be no more then dreams that implanted in ones mind.
Are emotions instinctual... well they are if you think of it in a certain way. We were designed to respond to pleasure or victory with a happy feeling, thus this may bring a smile to our faces, sometimes without thinking about it. Same with nursing and such, babies were designed to be cute so they will be cared for and have a higher chance of survival.
Iam not sure i understand what you mean from coming from a outside source.

--------------------
Aum Namah Sivaya

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Instinct = Reincarnation = Oversoul ? [Re: Cougheeman]
    #1613411 - 06/05/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It the oversoul was spiritual, then it would exist somewhere outside of our body. It it were physical, then it could reside independantly within us.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Instinct = Reincarnation = Oversoul ? [Re: Cougheeman]
    #1614238 - 06/06/03 08:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Bump

--------------------

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1614666 - 06/06/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe off topic, but

Hey man where did you get the transcripts of the matrix?

The matrix is full of evolution talk!, full of philosiphy in EVERY scene, i would like to get the WHOLE MOVIE transcript and analyze every piece.

The oracle talks about evolution, through as set of programs. But she never mentions evolution.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10183151 - 04/17/09 06:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I never got answer for this and a recent discussion with my girlfriend made me remember this idea and I went looking for the post.

Does anyone have any input?

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#10183214 - 04/17/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think instinct = genetic memory. I've heard several stories of people having dreams that were also experiences of their parents before the child was born. PKD mentions this in VALIS which was one of the inspirations for The Matrix.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Instinct = Reincarnation = Oversoul ? [Re: Middleman]
    #10183264 - 04/17/09 07:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That's what I was thinking too (that instinct = genentic memory).  Maybe I didn't describe it very well in the original post, but I was doing a lot of drugs back then.;)

But if so, how far does it go?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds