Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Fresh Lard, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedrugcheese
journeyman

Tapping the caps before picking?
    #1017318 - 11/03/02 02:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

from what i hear you are suppose to tap the caps before you pick the shroom , because it drops spores or otherwise they won't grow back. is this just a myth or what, it sounds kinda hokey to me. I also heard that you should clip the stem with your scissors as pulling the entire mushroom out of the ground stops the cow patty from producing more Shrooms. And that you should leave behind a good half inch of the stem connected to the ground because this will protect the mycelium beneath the mushroom from being destroyed by infection through it's root system.

any help is appreciated

thnx

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenermski
Stranger

Loc: South East
Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: drugcheese]
    #1017568 - 11/03/02 04:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Lolol, I see you've been reading GGreatOne234's website. I don't know if it's all true but I can tell you this. Bugs live in the gills, a quick thump to the cap knocks em out good, and I'm sure it knocks spores out too.

--------------------
It's better to overdose than to underdose.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #1017633 - 11/03/02 04:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Tapping the caps is not necessiary. The number of spores it knocks out is very minimal, not needed at all. Cutting the stems with scissors is a good way to keep your patch healthy and going strong, but if you don't have scissors I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Offlinedrow
Shroom lover

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: Gumby]
    #1017645 - 11/03/02 05:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I totally disagree, as a pin head size of spores can contain millions of spores in it. And getting them bugs out is wise, unless you want the extra protein, LOL. I usually run the cap under the facet spreading the gills to clean out the bugs and excess dirt. Good luck to you

--------------------
"It is a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1017669 - 11/03/02 05:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Once the cap opens up billions of spores have already been disbursted. Tapping the cap is urban legend.

As for the fruit fly larvae, the flys lay their eggs in the manure and then the ey crawl up the stem into the cap. These are usually unhalthy specimens or older specimens. If the caps are placed in a hehyrator or inthe direct sun when they are picked then the eggs will not hatch but dried up. this basiically pplies more to mushrooms which grow directly from manure and not shrooms fromt he grassy areas o wood chips although they too can have certain kinds of insects feeding on them and also pother parasies which are microscopic and naked tothe human eye. every cell you breath into your mouth furing noemal breathing brings billions of spores germs and other living tissues into your system and you usually eshale them out when yuou espire your breath.

The bugs are hrmless and usually grow to maturityu due to high heat and humidity and impropper drying during preserving period.

I have this problem in Thailand and in Florida and most tropical countries, especuially from P. cubensiss.

They need airflow and hot light or heat to dried them. one person who came to Thailand withme once brought his own dehyfrator. anyway. Read my guide at my website soon to be on the Shroppmery for all to see.

mj.. has a good drying and preerving methof I have used for thirrty years and it istill works wonders.

No expensive machineryneated except newspaper and a stove.

mj.

ou jut have to knw how to lay them out properly and air dried them and then heat dry the rubbery stageg they get in. ALso the less squeezed and handled when =picking the less loss of potency in a species. Especially amongst the Copelandia Panaeolus mushroomms which shoul never be put into a plastic baggie when picking, always paper or a carfboarf box such as a cookie (rizt or orio) box and then they should not be flung around when carrrying them. Act as if it si a cup of water and you should not spill a drop so you carry it as so not to damage the shrooms contained in side and hten they are to be laid carefully side by side and not piled upon one another. This helps kep potencyand the less handling the less oxidation and/opr loss of chemical content.

mj

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1017675 - 11/03/02 05:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i use the newpaper and the stove way too :laugh:

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
    #1018195 - 11/03/02 12:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

is the dryrid (sp??) method an alright method for drying?

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

OfflineUnity333
addict
 User Gallery

#1018203 - 11/03/02 01:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think it is a personal choice, I agree you should take care when picking, you can tap, it dose help with the bug, as well as put spores into the air. so it is a choise you can make. :grin:

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1019034 - 11/03/02 06:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

tapping the mushroom releases no more spores than you are about to release when you remove the mushroom.  obvious, ain't it?  i mean, if you were going to try and  not spread spores, that would be the tricky part.  dispersing spores is a small favor you do for any mushroom when you pick it  :laugh:!

as for pulling/cutting, many mushrooms suffer great damage from dehydration via the gaping holes left from the removal of the base of their stipe along with the clusters of mycelia often in attendance.  if one were to have conscience about the mushroom organisms  body, which is the fine network of mycelial strands throughout whatever substrate they prefer, one would surely be careful not to disturb the organism.
the mushroom is a sort of fruit, thus  fruitbody ....
you wouldn't pull the branches off of an apple tree to harvest the apples, would you?
although some mushrooms are undoubtedly unharmed by the ruthless pulling, very many are, and the mushroom hunter who considers the future of hunting at the very spot that is productive now, would be wise to treat the organism well.
just be careful.
peace. :tongue: 

OfflineMead
Closet Chemist
 User Gallery

Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: viscid]
    #1019140 - 11/03/02 09:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Neither can heurt, just think of it as giving yourself a drumroll before the grand ceremony.

--------------------

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #1020031 - 11/04/02 04:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I usually pinch / snip the stalk just above the ground, not only to protect the mycelium network but also (and this is the main reason I do it) so that you get SHROOM and nothing but shroom. If you pull them out of the ground, then you're gonna end up with clumps of shit / dirt / wood all over the stems of your shrooms, thereby making them taste like shit / dirt / wood and also having the added texture of shit / dirt / wood. Not only this, but the shit / dirt / wood might be housing the little larvae which have not yet crawled up the stem of the shroom, so if you cut it off above the ground then you might also cut off the path of the worms!
Also, your shrooms will dry a lot nicer if they don't have clumps of shit / dirt / wood stuck to the stems.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #1021666 - 11/04/02 06:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

As already stated, tapping caps is urban ledgend. Cutting your mushrooms from the ground is far better than pulling them however. The only problem is when your picking a residential area and can't be in someones yard using scissors on everysingle mushroom. I find in the upwards of a thousnad mushrooms with ease, it would be rediculous to try and cut everysingle one of them from the ground, so I just pull them. Some of my safe patches that aren't in yards, I will take the time and spend the extra effort using scissors, I also do this to weilii in my backyard so they will fruit as many years as possible. Point being, sometimes its just not fesible to use scissors.

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Tapping the caps before picking? [Re: Lizard King]
    #1021884 - 11/04/02 07:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Picking lawn shrooms from lards is not a problem. I t is cutting cold weather species like cyanescens and or baeocystis or azurescens or the Australian cold weather potent subaeruginosa complex. on those you wan to use scissors to avpod damage to the mycelium. However crawling on the ground with your needs pressing into layers of mycelia with heavy weight can also cause muchdamage. This is all part of the mushroom picking process.

The lawns shrooms a like P. stuntzii, P. Baeocystis and/or liberty caps in a pasture do no harm becaseu they are evrywhere and they grow attached to the roots of the grass.

so it is okay to just pick them by reaching tothe fatherst bottom of the sem and holding it lightly between your fingers just lift it out by not squeezing it when you lift it out.

That is the best way to preserve them in stage one. NExt is carrying them in the bags and not in plastic but moelike a macdonalds bag or small boxes and not let them get tossed around while carrying them and the paper will absorb moisture. Use a plastic bag around a paper bag if it is raining while you are picking.

,j.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #1021888 - 11/04/02 07:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

what i use is a large mcdonalds cup the wax paper ones works good and is lowkey

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Fresh Lard, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification