Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: badchad]
    #10158120 - 04/13/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Thanks for the words of support. I definitely feel like I've got it in me and it wants to come out.  It seems like when I have the resources all handy, it only takes 2-3 applied days to write a damn solid monograph (I'm trying to stay in the range of 60-75 pages per monograph) , so it's not as daunting as it sounds.

Again, it depends on the audience and complexity of the book, but that is not even in the range of what it takes to publish something worthwhile.

Ask any seasoned scientist on how long it takes to write something and they'll tell you it takes MUCH longer than that.

I've worked on professional texts before where it has taken over a year to complete a 23 page chapter on a single substance.

I'm not talking about doing novel research here. What I'm talking about is basically a solid focused literature summary.  I believe that any literature review is only as good as its bibliography in a way, which is why my bibliographies are going to be as worthwhile as I can make them.  But on top of providing a thorough bibliography, I think that with a disciplined focus, the literature review will serve as a one-stop reference for the general layman (and average user of drugs, and the generally drug-curious).

I don't know how well I'm communicating it, but I have a strong vision of a work that's both practical to accomplish and of substantial use to a handful of different demographics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10158142 - 04/13/09 01:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
I'll buy it but only if you include a Dissociatives section with Ketamine DXM and Nitrous :crazy2:. I understand you want to make it all about plants but surely you can't ignore such an interesting family of psychedelics?

As deCypher said, that would kind of open the floodgates, and it'd be difficult to draw the line on what not to include. The project would just get too unwieldy.

They're an interesting group of compounds, to be sure, but they really don't fit into the same set of compounds I intend to discuss.

OfflineCoffee
Gambling Caffiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: 44°n, 88°w
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? *DELETED* [Re: Entropymancer]
    #10158161 - 04/13/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Coffee

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------

OfflineLouiscypher
The Ancient One
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Great PNW
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: Coffee]
    #10158212 - 04/13/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like a good Idea. Here's a good reference book if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Psychoactive-Plants-Ethnopharmacology-Applications/dp/0892819782

It's quite detailed and has a lot of good info in there.

--------------------
1) Cars can hurt you.
2) You cannot fly.
3) It's never a good time to die.
4) Taking your clothes off will draw attention.
5) Keep your mouth shut at all times while in public.
6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that are there.
7) Don't forget how to breathe.
8) Only carry: a house-key, some loose change, and your address in your shoe.
9) Nobody can tell that you are tripping until you tell them "I'm tripping".
10) No matter how fucked-up you think you are, you'll eventually come down.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: Entropymancer]
    #10158216 - 04/13/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
I'm not talking about doing novel research here. What I'm talking about is basically a solid focused literature summary. 

Thats what I was referring to as well.  It can easily take 6 months to a year to get a comprehensive review of a single compound.

I think we probably just have different visions of what a textbook/reference should/would look like.  Cheers!

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #10158236 - 04/13/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

Poid said:
You got any publishers lined up for you?

Not at this point. It seems a little premature for that... but then I don't know anything about publishing. How much of it should be finished before I pitch it to publishers?

To be safe, I would just wait until it's pretty much finished, or at least until the entire framework/outline has been well established. I don't know much about publishing either, though, that's just my two cents...

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

Grapefruit said:
I'll buy it but only if you include a Dissociatives section with Ketamine DXM and Nitrous :crazy2:. I understand you want to make it all about plants but surely you can't ignore such an interesting family of psychedelics?

As deCypher said, that would kind of open the floodgates, and it'd be difficult to draw the line on what not to include. The project would just get too unwieldy.

They're an interesting group of compounds, to be sure, but they really don't fit into the same set of compounds I intend to discuss.

Maybe you should make a set of books instead, and dedicate each volume to a certain class of drugs. Better yet, make a druglopedia! :awesome:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (04/13/09 02:16 PM)

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: Louiscypher]
    #10158390 - 04/13/09 02:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Louiscypher said:
Sounds like a good Idea. Here's a good reference book if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Psychoactive-Plants-Ethnopharmacology-Applications/dp/0892819782

It's quite detailed and has a lot of good info in there.

It leaves out a lot of key information, it's poorly cited, and Rätsch's reliability is dubious. Lots of pretty pictures though.

Edited by Entropymancer (11/15/12 06:55 PM)

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#10158591 - 04/13/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

Grapefruit said:

That's fair. I was just kidding, of course I'll buy it anyway. I say go for it. One thing I would say is have anecdotal writing in there aswell. Chemistry/history is really interesting but a good trip report will keep your readers hooked.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Should I write the be-all end-all Book About Drugs? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10158793 - 04/13/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
One thing I would say is have anecdotal writing in there aswell. Chemistry/history is really interesting but a good trip report will keep your readers hooked.

Absolutely :thumbup:

Gotta keep it engaging. In addition to the seasoning of contemporary experience reports, I'm also including as many historical ones as I can find (the accounts of the first explorers to encounter the plant drug being consumed, for example)

Offlinedoom876
Stranger

#10159243 - 04/13/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You have a shit-ton of info that you should share. I'd definitely buy your book.

--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Should I write A Comprehensive Reference Book on Humanity's Plant-derived Drugs? [Re: Entropymancer]
    #10159416 - 04/13/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, do it, you write well. Your Amanita muscaria and related mushroom
thread in the Hunting forum is a good reference and I think if you
wrote a book about plant derived drugs it would also be a good reference.

Offlinedoom876
Stranger

Re: Should I write A Comprehensive Reference Book on Humanity's Plant-derived Drugs? [Re: falcon]
    #10159435 - 04/13/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Don't skimp n extractions and whatnot either. Having something comprehensive like that would be very very useful. Your book will be great fo sho tho.

--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Edited by doom876 (04/13/09 04:47 PM)

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Should I write A Comprehensive Reference Book on Humanity's Plant-derived Drugs? [Re: doom876]
    #10159572 - 04/13/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, in addition to regular preparation info, each plant will have an "Isolation of High-Purity Compounds" section. :thumbup:

I guess that probably makes the book illegal in Australia, but waddaya gunna do?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies