Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: Spongiform]
    #10229779 - 04/25/09 12:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Since covering up the holes.... Myc growth has increased well. Almost completely colonized. How long should it be colonized (all white) before I fruit?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetranskei
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #10229858 - 04/25/09 01:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: transkei]
    #10230958 - 04/25/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Nice pic of myc but it doesn't exactly answer my question. It does, how ever, look very tasty.

ATK

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
    #10230992 - 04/25/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

13 days so far....

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10231252 - 04/25/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You generally want solid white growth with some aerial action (stuff growing upwards).

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinetranskei
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
    #10231726 - 04/25/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:
You generally want solid white growth with some aerial action (stuff growing upwards).

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: transkei]
    #10231861 - 04/25/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i just started my first mono as well.
it's a 58qt, coir/verm/coffee with 5 qts wbs spawn.
i lined the bottom with black plastic and the tub is clear.
i have 2 - 2" holes on each side with poly fill.
it's been 3 days and it seems to be colonizing fine but i can only see the top and it's mostly spawn on top so :shrug:

does that sound about right?

will i need more fae during fruiting than 8 holes will allow?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: artizen]
    #10234394 - 04/26/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

artizen said:
i just started my first mono as well.
it's a 58qt, coir/verm/coffee with 5 qts wbs spawn.
i lined the bottom with black plastic and the tub is clear.
i have 2 - 2" holes on each side with poly fill.
it's been 3 days and it seems to be colonizing fine but i can only see the top and it's mostly spawn on top so :shrug:

does that sound about right?

will i need more fae during fruiting than 8 holes will allow?

From what I've been told, it would be better to cover the holes with tape for now. Just so the co2 levels can raise a bit to encourage myc growth. Though I was told to fill with Polyfil right off as well. To much FAE, I guess, can slow the process a bit. I covered my holes and the myc has been going well ever since.

As for the spawn on top, I heard that could go bad, but not sure why. I know lots of people used a light "frosting layer" but I skipped out on that. When you say most of your "spawn" is on top, what exactly do you mean? On top of the substrate that your spawning too? If so, I've never heard of such a thing but again, take all this info as though it came from someone who has only done 5 grows and this is my first Mono.

ATK

Edited by AlienTechKilla (04/26/09 12:59 AM)

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10235008 - 04/26/09 05:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AlienTechKilla said:
As for the spawn on top, I heard that could go bad, but not sure why. I know lots of people used a light "frosting layer" but I skipped out on that. When you say most of your "spawn" is on top, what exactly do you mean? On top of the substrate that your spawning too? If so, I've never heard of such a thing but again, take all this info as though it came from someone who has only done 5 grows and this is my first Mono.

ATK

The initial explanation that I've heard is that sometimes the kernels get opened up during spawning, allowing the possibility of a contam getting foothold on a kernels that wasn't completely colonized by mycelium(since these were sterilized and not pasteurized, there is no bacteria to possibly fight off the germination of contaminant fungal spores).  I've left them exposed before with success and with failure, so I can't be too sure if that was the real source...

But I prefer covering the kernels with a thin layer of bulk simply so that the mycelium reaches up in a more aerial form, I think this leads towards a better pinning surface than horizontal growth.  And when you have the above explanation as well, why not?

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: shroomzey]
    #10235629 - 04/26/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sroomzy.... or any other experienced cultivator. I know, I know.... I should have never opened it to take pics.... I KNOW. Just got excited. Anyway, now I have one all white, LONE pin. Maybe to much FAE when I opened it or from when I had the polyfil in. Don't know what I should do now. FRUIT OR WAIT. I mean it's just one pin, but I don't want it to rot...... PLEASE GUIDE ME OL' WISE ONES!!!

ATK

Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
    #10235892 - 04/26/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm in no position to tell you what to do in that situation, but I have been overly anxious with a mini-tub project(coir/coffee/verm), saw a pin before 100% colonizaton iand reacted by moving it to the FC. It all went downhill from there. You should probably let the pin go, maybe pick it if it becomes a problem. All of that aside, you should wait until you've got solid white, 100% colonized surface before fruiting it.

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: fungusapien]
    #10236297 - 04/26/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So your idea is to leave the pin but not introduce it to fruiting conditions and only if it starts to rot or something, pull it? Is there any tells that would indicate the pin is rotting? At this point I'm afraid to even look at the tub... Damn my excitement!

Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
    #10237116 - 04/26/09 03:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There is a chance it will develop into a fully mature fruit without being in the FC. Yeah, you should minimize the number of times you check that tub. At least allow two or three days go by without opening it. If that pin turns grey or black it has aborted and you should just pull it off. You'd be losing one mushroom out of the hundreds you will potentially get out of this tub when it is fully colonized and really ready to fruit.

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: fungusapien]
    #10237245 - 04/26/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, let it finish up, the pin could be from the early introduction of FAE, or the mycelium encountering a contam.  Either way, allowing it to finish up will result in better performance than just fruiting it now, fruiting early is no bueno.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: shroomzey]
    #10238145 - 04/26/09 06:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroomzey said:
Quote:

AlienTechKilla said:

ATK

The initial explanation that I've heard is that sometimes the kernels get opened up during spawning, allowing the possibility of a contam getting foothold on a kernels that wasn't completely colonized by mycelium(since these were sterilized and not pasteurized, there is no bacteria to possibly fight off the germination of contaminant fungal spores).  I've left them exposed before with success and with failure, so I can't be too sure if that was the real source...

But I prefer covering the kernels with a thin layer of bulk simply so that the mycelium reaches up in a more aerial form, I think this leads towards a better pinning surface than horizontal growth.  And when you have the above explanation as well, why not?

yeah that's pretty much it. i added spawn,sub,spawn,sub mixing as i added and at the end i had more spawn than sub so i did the 'frosting layer' and sprinkled the rest of the sub material on top (1/8" or less).

i wouldn't worry about the 1 fruit. this is my first mono tub but, i've had plenty of grows where i got just a couple fruits for 4-5 days then BAM, the whole substrate went nuts.

the fat one in the background was the only one for the first 4 days. i didn't even have to pick it sooner it just got bigger.

and a little more mutated, sometimes thats the best part.:crazy2:

the little fucker in my sig is another sub from the same grow.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: artizen]
    #10239151 - 04/26/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I give my tubs 10 solid days before opening.  I also use a viewport so I can peek whenever to check the progress or look for contams.  They generally appear to be fully colonized by day 7 or so, but i give them 3 extra days to make sure they're well established. 

You want the holes plugged/taped up and no opening.  Fresh air exchange is a pinning trigger and will slow down the colonization AND risk contam's getting in.

I just mix my stuff together as best as I can and smooth it out.  I don't use a frosting layer but there's usually a few visible grains here and there.    I quit using a frosting layer after this grew on an exposed grain:

After day 10 I case LIGHTLY and leave spots of myc visble here and there.  So it kind of mimics a thick casing with myc growing through.    Sometimes the myc eats the casing so I sprinkle a bit more after a few days.  Generally it takes 4-7 days for pins to appear.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
    #10250708 - 04/28/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So it's been a total of 16 days and the tub is whiter than my last pic and still has the lone pin plus a few knots on the surface but doesn't look as white as this one:

The pin is about 3inchs long, very thin, no real cap that I can see. There is condensation on all sides of the tub, not a ton but enough to make seeing in a challenge and I'd really prefer not to open it again.

I'm kinda at a loss on what I should do. Has anyone else had a stubborn mono like this before? Is it because my spawn was BRF Cakes instead of grain or rye? Any ideas?

Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
    #10250931 - 04/28/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Personally, I have never been able to successfully use shredded brf cakes as spawn. I tried multiple times but it would never colonize all of the substrate. Maybe I did something wrong, not sure.

When I used the same methods but wbs instead of brf cakes, huuuge difference, colonizes in no time.

If your sub looks fully colonized(entire surface area is white) then introduce it to fruiting conditions.

--------------------
                Apple butter toast is nice,...

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: cosmictaco]
    #10250992 - 04/28/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone else? Is leaving it to long an issue? Fruiting it early I imagine would/could result in contams grabbing the unused substrate but what risk is there to just leaving it say another week or so? I know the myc is still growing, it's just creeping along. From what I've read most people have full colonization within 14 days and I'll always be a worry wort.

fltdriver is sending me a care package that I plan to make some Karo or Honey LC from, then I'll be doing some WBS myself. I'll also be going for like 6qts of spawn to coffee/coir.

ATK

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
    #10256816 - 04/29/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Is it close enough to fruit? There are a few pins now and like always, I question what I should be doing.

ATK

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom