Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
BRF Cakes/Monotub/Bulk project -She's all done at 92.3g dry
    #10152387 - 04/12/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Edit: The grow is done... this is how.

So I had about 7 pints (actually a little more than 4qts total) of BRF Cakes that had fully colonized and I had already decided that birthing the cakes using an FC and Fan/Misting was a complete waste of time considering the yield. What should I do?

I decided to break up the cakes and spawn them to bulk substrate. I birthed each cake directly into a ziplock bag and began crushing them up. Pieces were about dime size or smaller.

So I used just over half a brick of coir, one quart of vermiculite and one quart of spent coffee grounds.(dead's Coir Tek / Large_Dose's pasteurization tek / Ohmatic's Monotub). Five Layers starting with a bottom layer of substrate that was about 1/2"-3/4" thick, then a layer of spawn that was about an inch thick and I left about an inch around the edges all the way around without spawn. Another inch or so of substrate then the rest of the spawn spread evenly but not right to the edges. Then a covering layer about 1/2"-3/4" thick of substrate. No spawn showing up top at all. No "icing layer" or anything.

My Monotub has five holes (about 2")on each long side and one on each short side. Filled the monotub holes with polyfill and placed in a dark area (unfortunately my dark area is only 65-70 degrees but it still works) and at 5 days, here we are...

9 days later or so and here we are:

Colonization was slow so I taped up the holes....

So at 24 days.... I've fully fruited this mono. I have a bunch of very thin pins. The first pin has actually fallen over. Hope all turns out well. Any signs of contam and I will just toss it.

Picked some of the flush this morning. Here are the first 10 or so shrooms. I'm waiting on the other veils to break....

The thin fruits really filled in pretty well. Picked the last of them yesterday.
Missing cap is the print I'm making.

Just got done drying the rest of the flush.... Grand total this flush (dry) =

2nd = 29.8g

3rd = 22.2

4th = 16.8

NOTES:

1. Don't use poly right off. Cover the holes with tape untill colonized
2. Use Ohmatic's or Monstermitchs monotube Tek.... less holes.
3. MIX THE SUB AND SPAWN.... I did layers.... works but takes longer to colonize. Next time I'll mix to speed things up.
4. A little warmer than 65-70 degrees would definitely help too.

Edited by AlienTechKilla (09/28/09 10:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #10152424 - 04/12/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

looks nice! i cant wait til i get some fresh sporeprints and try my first bulk on horseshit :laugh:

--------------------
A weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: virus1824]
    #10206848 - 04/21/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

9 days later or so and here we are:

There is some discoloration in the pics that I can't see in person so well. I don't know if it's bad or drying but colonization is taking it's sweet time. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.

Invisibledrainhaven
Awake
 User Gallery

Loc: SouthernMan
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #10206882 - 04/21/09 12:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That is alot of holes for a monotub. Im anxious too see what kind of results you get by doing that.

--------------------
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience." -Anonymous

Spawning To Coir Tek
Blutjager's LC Tek

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: drainhaven]
    #10206925 - 04/21/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I had heard that more holes would be better for fruiting. Those holes are super stuffed with polyfil. I'm very anxious myself. Have you ever done a mono? Everything looking OK to YOU? Im not sure if it's drying or anything. I'm always very worried about everything.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10206939 - 04/21/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I believe the toughest part of doing monotubs is getting the balance of fresh air while preserving humidity.

Plus you'll get different results with different strains even with the same conditions.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#10207010 - 04/21/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

What size is your tub?

I have been doing monotubs for a few years and am very happy with them.

Depending on the size of your tub, your spawn ratio may have been a little low.

I use 6 quarts of WBS spawn for an 18 gallon tub.  I break the spawn up really well and then just mix it in with the bulk sub ..... (so I can see some WBS grains on the surface, inevitable .... your thing with not using a frosting layer is good.)

For me, at one day after spawn, I can see the myc. recovering. At day two, it is growing well.  At day three or four, the tub is really growing ... it is WARM and there is condensation. 

I use the warmth of the tub as an indicator of how it is growing .... obviously you can see the myc. on the surface ... but the heat generated from the myc. growth is a good indicator.

At around day six or so, I don't feel as much heat.  And my tubs are fully colonized and consolidated around day nine or ten.

If my tubs aren't fully colonized in that 10 day window, I start to worry about contamination.

Your lower colonization temperatures will help against contamination.

Is the bottom of your tub warm from myc. growth ?

Good luck MAN.

--------------------

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: uncle_rico]
    #10207167 - 04/21/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reply.

My temps are low between 65-70 degrees and I don't have a warmer area unfortunately. The bottom of the tub feels cool at best room temp but not warmer. I have a 27qt sterlite tub with foil lining the bottom. Just over 4qts of spawn to 1/2 brick of coir/1qt Verm/1qt Coffee. I got the recipe for the spawn from dead's coir tek.

Hope this helps.

Does it look like it's drying out?

Invisibledrainhaven
Awake
 User Gallery

Loc: SouthernMan
    #10207235 - 04/21/09 01:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I will be doing my first grow with one. Im going to do the standard holes, but will have another to experiment with, so Im bookmarking.
Sorry I dont have much advice but I will be using this:

Terrarium Hygro/Thermometer

--------------------
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience." -Anonymous

Spawning To Coir Tek
Blutjager's LC Tek

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#10207532 - 04/21/09 02:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Let's see ..... 27 qts. divided by 4 equals 6.75 gallon tub ......

OK .... your 4 quarts of spawn is plenty.

The color of the coir substrate in your second batch of photos looks lighter than the first photo .... so I would say it is drying somewhat.

I colonize my tubs with micropore tape on the holes and then go to polyfill for fruiting .... this helps keep CO2 in the tub for colonization .... and then the polyfill is good for FAE during fruiting.  This also helps with moisture loss.

Good luck to you.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10207574 - 04/21/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How is this mono-tub being semi-sealed during this spawn run?

After you've spawned your grain you should tape up the holes(since you'll be getting enough gas exchange through the imperfect seal in the lid) and let it sit til a few days after 100%.

If that tub is sitting there with polyfil in the holes during the spawn run this is why its going so slow and may be dried out.  You're introducing a ton of FAE during the spawn run, with all the polyfil, AND with taking the lid off to take pictures.

During the spawn run the mono can be in open light.  The only time you should focus on keeping it in the dark would be around the few days after 100% that you allow the substrate to consolidate prior to fruiting.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Edited by shroomzey (04/21/09 02:35 PM)

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: shroomzey]
    #10208589 - 04/21/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You can also have the polyfil in the holes during colonization, but put a blanket or something similar over the tub to reduce the amount of FAE. Once the tub is ready for fruiting just take the blanket off.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: kjb1891]
    #10209017 - 04/21/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kjb1891 said:
You can also have the polyfil in the holes during colonization, but put a blanket or something similar over the tub to reduce the amount of FAE. Once the tub is ready for fruiting just take the blanket off.

A better idea would be to wrap the whole thing up in a plastic trash bag, it has enough air to get it through the spawn run.  But, why even leave the polyfil in the holes?  We want gas exchange not fresh air during spawning, and leaving those holes exposed with polyfil, or micropore, or whatever doesn't really matter cause you still have the imperfect seal in the lid, which is enough to provide GE.

So, just tape the holes, and you don't have to worry about covering it up with a blanket or do anything else, it doesn't need to be in the dark either.  Besides, its nice cause when its time to fruit, you rip the tape off and don't put polyfil in just yet.  Let it get hit by a mass of fresh air right when you fruit.  The substrate surface will evaporate a lot of water off to initiate pinning and then put polyfil in the holes ONLY AS NEEDED.  If you can maintain humidity, remove as much polyfil as possible.  Think of polyfil as a fresh air restriction, yet helps retain humidity.  Use it to balance the need for both humidity and as much FAE as possible.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10209524 - 04/21/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I tape up my holes during colonization. I give them 10 days then open to fruiting conditions, case lightly and begin misting 12/12 cycle.

No need for bags, blankets, darkness or any other stuff. 

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

#10209604 - 04/21/09 07:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I wasn't saying that the method I mentioned was better or anything. So, I hope that you didn't think that's what I was saying.

That's just what I do and I've never had any kind of problem with it at all. So, I just thought I'd suggest it as an option.

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: Spongiform]
    #10209740 - 04/21/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Now that I think about it,  I have been duct taping the holes for colonization the past few times.

I did test micropore tape against polyfill for fruiting and decided I liked the improved FAE with the polyfill. This was tested on Cambodian and Brazilian.

Funny .... the PE isolate I've got in monotubs now seems to do better being neglected.  If I mist it like I did with the Cambo. and Braz., it develops spots on the fruits and the small pins start to abort ....  weird, but that's what I am finding with this PE isloate .... neglect works ... so it is perfect for monotubs.

--------------------

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
    #10211355 - 04/22/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I did have the tub covered with 2 thick blankets to prevent pinning, since I heard that is an issue. I've gone on shroomzey good word and pulled the polyfil and taped over the holes with packing tape so that  some CO2 can build up and maybe induce stronger myc growth. Dunno if it is drying out on me but I'm afraid to mist so any suggestions there would be GGGRRREEEAAAATTTT!!!

Thanks

ATK

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#10211671 - 04/22/09 01:25 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

To mist or not to mist?

I would not mist now .... let it continue to colonize ... on the dry side is probably better than on the wet side.

When you fruit it, you can mist.  Some growers even dunk their substrates before the first flush.

--------------------

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10211804 - 04/22/09 02:08 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better.  It's not.

Edited by FoxFire (11/05/13 09:23 AM)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first Monotub/Bulk project **UPDATED** [Re: FoxFire]
    #10212584 - 04/22/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The rubbermaid tubs I use don't seal air tight so there is some gas exchange, but it's minimal.

I don't mist until I remove the duct tape, case and begin providing constant fae which causes the top layer to dry out a little, so I mist to replace the lost moisture and to keep the humidity up.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale