Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesdrussell
Couple of Q's
    #1014584 - 11/01/02 10:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Newb here, and I have a few questions.
For my terrarim I am using a rubbermaid container.
1.) What is the best way to drain access water from the bottom.? Should I put a hole in the bottom of the container and have it slightly tiltedt?
2.) If I decide to use perilite, what is the best way to drain the water?
3.) I have read mixed reports about the use of perilite. Is it worth the extra hassle to use?
4.) Are casings good to use for a beginner?
5.) Is it ok to have the clear sides on the terrarium, or would it be better to only have the plexi on the top, so they grow more straight-upward?
6.) After innoculation should there be tape over the holes, and how tight should the lids be? I have read mixed reports about both.
Thatshould be it for now. Thanks for the replies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Couple of Q's [Re: sdrussell]
    #1014683 - 11/01/02 11:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

A couple of answers and questions.

1. Why would you need to drain excess water?
2. I don't understand the question.
3. If it's your first grow, yes. Humidifiers can be a little tricky to get just right, esp for newbies
4. Casings are great, I'd recommend doing half casings, half cakes.
5. Clear sides are alright
6. I don't tape the holes, if you use a dry verm layer you shouldn't need tape.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinesdrussell
Re: Couple of Q's [Re: Skikid16]
    #1014694 - 11/01/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

1.) I have been reading that is is bad to have standing water at the bottom of the terrarium. I figured that you would have to drain it somehow.
2.) This question was raised under the assumption that the water must be drained.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1014699 - 11/01/02 11:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I simply rinse my perlite in the sink using a strainer, then put it directly in the terrarium without adding any additional water, it has work fine.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinesdrussell
    #1014707 - 11/01/02 11:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have also been reading that a hole or holes in the bottom wiil help to release c02. Having no perilite in the chamber, wont water build up from the spraying?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1014711 - 11/01/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know, I don't have fruiting chambers without perlite, but if you are paranoid of this, you can lay a paper towel in the bottom of your terrarium and change it every couple of days, I guess, I don't really know cause I use perlite.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Loc: London UK
    #1014790 - 11/02/02 12:47 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Put a couple of dime (or 1p coins - i'm from Uk) sized holes in the sides of your bucket near its base. Plug then with Polyfill - this will help CO2 release /gas exchange and prevent contams getting in

--------------------
What a terrible thing to lay on somebody with a head full of acid

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1015302 - 11/02/02 08:20 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Allright, I'm a total newbie to this too, but I'm going to take a crack at these for you.

1. If your not using perlite you may get undesirable standing water in the bottom of the tub.  I've seen some people simply drill a hole(s) in the bottom of the tub to allow this to drain.

2. As far as draining if you use perlite, this is only a consideration if your going to change to perlite (which should be accompanied by cleaning the entire tank).  Some suggest you do so between each fruiting (sounds like a hassle) but some say you don't have to do it nearly this often.  Obviously, if you've got contams in the tank you need to clean it and change perlite.  In any case, changing perlite, and the water that is with it, is a simple matter of scooping or dumping out the contents of the tub.

3.  I've looked into many methods for my first fruiting chamber.  I've decided to go with perlite (and maybe an accessory form of humidification as a manual supplement if needed) in part because I believe that it will facilitate better understanding of the process.  For my first time, a more hands on approach will help me assess what works to grow these suckers.  Once I get a feel for the parameters, I can then worry about creating other "more automatic" forms of fruiting chamber climate controls.

4.  The only problems with casings for a beginner seems to be that it adds a couple more steps where contamination could occur and it may require a tad more attention to climate control.  I think the best idea is to give both a shot, making sure that, in the event of contamination, we don't contaminate cakes with cases or vise versa.

5.  From what I've pieced together, the only time a problem might arise from translucent sides to a fruiting chamber would be in a situation where light may ONLY hit the cakes/cases from the side.  If the tops are getting lit, it shouldn't be a problem.

6.  Yep, I've hear mixed reports about this two.  Take your pick.  :grin:  I'm going with tape on. 

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Re: Couple of Q's [Re: Theta]
    #1015325 - 11/02/02 08:40 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You have been studying young Theta. Props to you.

Point 5 - the reason not to have clear sides is that the mushies will grow at the sides as well (not good in a casing situation - they get squished)

--------------------

Offlinetayua
Stranger
Loc: AL, USA
Re: Couple of Q's [Re: ItsAllGood]
    #1015390 - 11/02/02 09:24 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In my terrarium, I premixed the perlite with water and hydrogen peroxide and made an inch layer at the bottom and there is no need to spray any more b/c the perlite holds enough water to keep the humidity high. When mixing perlite stir around and then drain out any excess water.

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Re: Couple of Q's [Re: tayua]
    #1015406 - 11/02/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok for cakes Yes - but casings need spraying between flushes.

--------------------

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1015452 - 11/02/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

You have been studying young Theta. Props to you.

:grin:  I'm trying! 
Quote:

Point 5 - the reason not to have clear sides is that the mushies will grow at the sides as well (not good in a casing situation - they get squished)

Regarding this, he was asking about the terrarium specifically - not the casing container.  I assume you believe it is still a better idea to have solid sides an a transparent top only on the fruiting chamber itself?

Edited by Theta (11/02/02 10:04 AM)

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Re: Couple of Q's [Re: Theta]
    #1015462 - 11/02/02 09:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well I'm gonna Give you a Shroom  :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1015485 - 11/02/02 10:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Well I'm gonna Give you a Shroom :laugh:

YAY!!  I'd give you some too if I was allowed to... 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix