Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: LSDreamer]
    #10142438 - 04/10/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
:thumbup: "Agnosticism" is the term refering to the belief system for "soft" atheists.

Well, not quite.  Agnostics say that we just can't know whether or not there is a God.  They are essentially neutral on it.  Soft atheist actually doubt the existence of God, and put the burden of proof on the believer.

Quote:

LSDreamer said:
The Ultimate Boeing 747 argument is fairly sound IMO. The Problem of Evil is pretty damaging to the concept of an omnibenevolent god. Also, free will and omniscience aren't too compatible. Et al. Nothing you haven't heard before, I'm sure.

That's certainly a good argument against a common mythical understanding of God, but doesn't defeat some of the more sophisticated theologies like process theology.  I would refer those who hold such a position to the book Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes by Charles Hartshorne.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: Silversoul]
    #10142564 - 04/10/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, OK.

I refer to myself as agnostic, since I don't totally discount the idea, as an atheist would.

I guess by those standards I am more of a "soft" atheist, since I doubt the existance of God.

Thanks for the link on that book.  I'm interested.

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #10142695 - 04/10/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I guess by those standards I am more of a "soft" atheist

Try anabolic steroids + weights.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10143923 - 04/10/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

maybe he's just bloated :confused:

--------------------

OfflineTrepiodos
Disgustipated
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles County Jail
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10144603 - 04/10/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Spirits aren't material.

That is (more or less) the nature of fantasy, it is only material to the extent that it is a thought pattern in the brain of a material being.

--------------------

And as things fell apart,
Nobody paid much attention...

- David Byrne, '(Nothing But) Flowers' from the Talking Heads' album, 'Naked'

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: Trepiodos]
    #10144791 - 04/10/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Why God does not exist?

Because basically: get on with your life.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: MindGorilla]
    #10145734 - 04/10/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MindGorilla said:
So I'd like to hear some good arguments on why people think that God does NOT exist.

It's very simple: lack of evidence. I don't think that unicorns exist, for the same reason.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: zouden]
    #10147324 - 04/11/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

do you think a sustaining force exists to impart existence onto itself?

--------------------

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: MindGorilla]
    #10148093 - 04/11/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

No connection to the network.

Therefore, without ever feeling God, it seems absurd and infallible that a God would exist.

Take in part,  if an unbeliever thinks that if their was a God, this would be a much better place.

But to the believer, they know why things are as hard and brutal as they might be, God is not here to save us. We can only save ourselves.

Not to mention the corruptness and bloodshed or all organized religions since the dawn of time.
Why would a God have such stupid followers? Why would a God not show himself and take control of this planet?

All the answers are simple, but some have experienced no connection with God, and therefor find it useless to look for an answer about something that they believe is stupid.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: sandman_130]
    #10148126 - 04/11/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said: Why would a God have such stupid followers? Why would a God not show himself and take control of this planet?

This is akin to asking why a human doesn't care about the trials and tribulations of ants.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: deCypher]
    #10148147 - 04/11/09 02:21 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You should see my ant farm. I have named all 8023 of them. They are just soooo cute! :heart:

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10148155 - 04/11/09 02:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

#405 is Jesus and #3067 is Mohammed?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: deCypher]
    #10148174 - 04/11/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Um, no. Ant #405 is aptly named 'Ant #405'. I was on a shroom trip when the clever, yet deceptively simple, naming scheme hit me.

--------------------

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10148368 - 04/11/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said:

Therefore, without ever feeling God, it seems absurd and infallible that a God would exist.

Take in part,  if an unbeliever thinks that if their was a God, this would be a much better place.

But to the believer, they know why things are as hard and brutal as they might be, God is not here to save us. We can only save ourselves.

Not to mention the corruptness and bloodshed or all organized religions since the dawn of time.
Why would a God have such stupid followers? Why would a God not show himself and take control of this planet?

All the answers are simple, but some have experienced no connection with God, and therefor find it useless to look for an answer about something that they believe is stupid.

Why would this world be a better place if atheists believed in something unproven?  Are you implying that all atheists are unethical?

You think that "believers know things" that non-believers don't?  Believers in what?  You have not specified what your belief is.  What "things" about the world being hard and brutal do believers have the inside scoop on, by possibly believing in make-believe?

What answers are simple?  What proof do you have that you have "made a connection with God?"

Edited by Swyfty Swyf (04/11/09 03:59 PM)

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

#10148449 - 04/11/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

to think of God as a personal being implies he is discrete

being discrete implies he has boundaries

boundaries imply he has a supportive space

if God is the source of all; what is the source of this supportive space?

to me... God cannot be personal... as being personal means being confined... which imparts the existence of a higher structure

perhaps minor God(s)... but the Supreme Source... would transcend all forms (imo)

--------------------

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #10149500 - 04/11/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Quote:

sandman_130 said:

Why would this world be a better place if atheists believed in something unproven?  Are you implying that all atheists are unethical?

You think that "believers know things" that non-believers don't?  Believers in what?  You have not specified what your belief is.  What "things" about the world being hard and brutal do believers have the inside scoop on, by possibly believing in make-believe?

What answers are simple?  What proof do you have that you have "made a connection with God?"

I have no idea where you came up with your first to 2 sentences...:shrug:

I did not say that non-believers don't know things, they know many things, none of which are about God. Why would you want to know? I was in no way saying atheist's are dumb, but why would you care to learn about something that is considered childish and foolish. In fact, every atheist I have met, or talked to on here has come off as more intelligent than the average human. That alone makes it harder for one to believe in something when their is no scientific proof.

But their is no scientific proof that God doesn't exist....:smirk:

Going through Hell only builds character, it shows you just how strong you can be. A person who understands the motives behind our existence understands this concept. On the other hand, every atheist I have talked to has always asked me the same question....why would this happen to me if their was a God? Lot's of spiritual believers think like that too, only because they do not understand these motives.

We all have met the kid who was spoiled and given everything, and never disciplined.

As children of God, are lives must be hard. Only the strong will survive, their is no room for weakness or self pity.

What proof do I have that I have made a connection with God?

I have many examples in my life, present and past. None of which that will satisfy your answer. I could tell you that you can attain a level of consciousness that is close enough to the energy to communicate with it. Telling you this would only make you believe I was a nut, so let's just forget that...:crazy2:

I am not trying to get you to become a believer. I could care less, IMO it is impossible to make anyone believe anything, let alone the existence of an invisible, immortal, all powerful being.

My beliefs are my own, not of any organized religion.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
    #10149544 - 04/11/09 09:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
You should see my ant farm. I have named all 8023 of them. They are just soooo cute! :heart:

Is that so? I'd love for you to start a thread about what you've learned from them.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10150069 - 04/12/09 12:00 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Quote:

sandman_130 said:

I have no idea where you came up with your first to 2 sentences...:shrug:

I came up with those first two sentences because you said that the world would be a better place if atheists believed in God.  That seems unfair and closed-minded.

Quote:

I did not say that non-believers don't know things, they know many things, none of which are about God.

OK, but I was asking about the details.  What are the things that you "know?"  Why would you know more, from believing in something that is not proven to exist?  By saying you know things that atheists don't, you sound very illogically presumptuous.

Quote:

Why would you want to know? I was in no way saying atheist's are dumb, but why would you care to learn about something that is considered childish and foolish.

Just because I am atheist doesn't mean I don't have a thirst for knowledge.  I would want to know about God as much as anyone else would.  I don't think it's childish or foolish to believe in God, it just seems that God's existence opens more questions than it answers.

Quote:

But their is no scientific proof that God doesn't exist....:smirk:

You have now opened a bottomless can of worms.  There is no scientific proof that Superman does not exist either. 

Science isn't designed to disprove things that may or may not exist.  It makes more sense to aim for reaching feasible explanations for things that do exist. 

Quote:

Going through Hell only builds character, it shows you just how strong you can be. A person who understands the motives behind our existence understands this concept. On the other hand, every atheist I have talked to has always asked me the same question....why would this happen to me if their was a God? Lot's of spiritual believers think like that too, only because they do not understand these motives.

Are you implying that you understand God's motives?

Quote:

We all have met the kid who was spoiled and given everything, and never disciplined.

As children of God, are lives must be hard. Only the strong will survive, their is no room for weakness or self pity.

This sounds like a Go Army ad.

Quote:

What proof do I have that I have made a connection with God?

I have many examples in my life, present and past. None of which that will satisfy your answer. I could tell you that you can attain a level of consciousness that is close enough to the energy to communicate with it. Telling you this would only make you believe I was a nut, so let's just forget that...:crazy2:

I am not trying to get you to become a believer. I could care less, IMO it is impossible to make anyone believe anything, let alone the existence of an invisible, immortal, all powerful being.

My beliefs are my own, not of any organized religion.

Let me guess.  You had a psychedelic trip and came to these unsupported conclusions?

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: Lakefingers]
    #10150109 - 04/12/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

Is that so? I'd love for you to start a thread about what you've learned from them.

that being GOD often ends with most of your friends dead. :shrug:

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Atheist welcome! [Re: zouden]
    #10150191 - 04/12/09 12:39 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Quote:

MindGorilla said:
So I'd like to hear some good arguments on why people think that God does NOT exist.

It's very simple: lack of evidence. I don't think that unicorns exist, for the same reason.

Really?  I dont think unicorns exist because of evidence.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract