Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblejustcantstop
Slightly scattered
Male User Gallery

Subaeruginosa FAQ - Habitat, Areas, Etc
    #10135567 - 04/09/09 01:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I have tried searching for this. I can't find a definitive FAQ on Subaeruginosa Mushrooms. There are plenty of skerics of information scattered around, but it would take days to comb through it all.

Unless I have missed it: Is there a definitive FAQ or Fact Sheet on Subaeruginosa (subs). I am talking detailed information on things including:

Habitat - What does it grow in? Type of vegetation? Altitude? Humidity? Rain fall?
Areas - Exactly where does it grow? NSW? ACT? Vic? Tas?
Dosage - Dried vs. fresh
Times - Generally Winter, or Late April to November???
ID - Spore colour, photos, descriptions

Has such a document been created? If so, I apologise for not finding it.

The reason is that i spent 4 hours hunting on the weekend, in a humid wet, fairly high altitude, rain forest environment not far from the NSW South Coast. But I really had no idea if Subs like that environment, as all I know is they seem to like dead wood / chips / pine needles. That really isn't enough info to go hunting. It 'felt' like a place that Subs might grow, and the floor was certainly full of dead material, but for all I know they don't like humidity. I found quiet a few inactives. I know its really early so I wasn't surprised. If they DO like rain forest environments I will go back in a month or two and look again.

I also searched last season, spent probably at least 20 hours, and found nothing at all. I believe my lack of luck is simply because I don't know exactly what environments the damn things grow in.

Anyway, just wondering if this had been done. If so, where can I find it. If not, perhaps we should create one?

I'm getting even more frustrated because I am dreaming about shrooms almost every night!!! Argh!

Cheers.

JCS

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Subaeruginosa FAQ - Habitat, Areas, Etc [Re: justcantstop]
    #10135643 - 04/09/09 01:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

1st off I think most all mushrooms like humid enviroments.

Hopefully you looked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_subaeruginosa

Description

Cap: 1-6 cm in diameter, conical to convex, tan brown, hygrophanous, margin striate when moist, uplifting in age, often with a slight umbo. Bruising bluish where damaged.
Gills: Crowded, cream color when young, violet brown in age, with adnate to adnexed attachment.
Spores: Dark violet brown, subellipsoid, 14 x 7 ┬Ám .
Stipe: 4.5 to 12 cm long, 0.2 to 0.4 cm thick, white to grey, finely striate, equal to slightly enlarged near the base. With a white cortinate partial veil which soon disappears and often leaves traces in the upper stem.
Taste: Farinaceous.
Odor: Farinaceous

Distribution and habitat
Grows in clusters in wood chips, piles of leaves and woody debris in urban areas and along trails and roads in deciduous forests and gardens. Found in Tasmania and Australia where it is common; it is one of the most common Psilocybe sp. mushrooms found in and around New Zealand.

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

Invisiblejustcantstop
Slightly scattered
Male User Gallery

Re: Subaeruginosa FAQ - Habitat, Areas, Etc [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #10135809 - 04/09/09 01:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I had found that basic stuff, but I guess was looking for more detail in terms of the distribution and habitat category.

I am in the ACT - If anyone wants to give me some pointers, reply or PM me, it would be greatly appreciated.

JCS

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #10136962 - 04/09/09 04:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Justcantstop, Here is an info page for Psilocybe subaeruginosa that any member of the site can edit and add to.

This and other species pages can be found through the Mushroom Hunting FAQ, which is linked to in the Forum Rules.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10137196 - 04/09/09 05:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Areas - Exactly where does it grow? NSW? ACT? Vic? Tas?

The best way to answer that question is to use the search engine to record the approximate locations of the subaeruginosa finds over the past 10 years.

If you can create a range map that would be really helpful, I need one for the P. subaeruginosa shroomery page and wikipedia article.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds