Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethecryoflove
keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun
    #10134206 - 04/09/09 02:11 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all, quick question here. Can I use a mix of verm and perlite for the bottom layer of my shotgun terrarium? I read 5' for a bottom layer of perl is best but I only have about 2' perl... so just wonderin what to do... My cakes have been dunked for 23 hours and I'm about to pull em. ANy help?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun [Re: thecryoflove]
    #10134300 - 04/09/09 02:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

no, use only perlite. Verm is for substrates, casings and cakes, it doesn't work like perlite and it could contaminate.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10134331 - 04/09/09 03:05 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

verm + perlite are both minerals, capable of harboring contams but not capable of providing them with the nutes they need to grow.

perlite is used over verm in SFC's cause it has a massive surface area for water to cling to meaning it stays hydrated for weeks and weeks even if left unattended.

id say, a 4-5 inch of perlite / verm mix would out perform 2 inch of perlite, but not 5 inches of straight perlite. you could always start out with 2 inch and run out and get another bag this week.

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

Offlinethecryoflove
keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
Re: Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun [Re: DeadDog]
    #10134340 - 04/09/09 03:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Also... would a 7/16 drill bit be too big? I thought I had more bits than I do and my cakes have been underwater for bout 24 hours now... could I just put them in the shotgun with no holes till later tomorrow when I can get a 1/4" bit?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun [Re: thecryoflove]
    #10134410 - 04/09/09 04:14 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Wrong deaddog. Perlite is a volcanic rock that cannot harbor contaminants because it has no nutes. Verm is a mineral sponge of water and it not only holds water but also has mineral nutes that can be used by some types of contaminants. Granted verm will take longer to contaminate than say poop, but it will still be a contaminant risk in a shotgun FC.

Oh and yes your drill bit should be relatively fine. I've seen some do even bigger holes to prevent the repetitive drilling, dono if it effects the overall hydrodynamics of the setup, it could reduce efficiency :shrug:, but you'd have to ask RR on that one since he's the guy who invented it and decided what size holes to tell people to drill for whatever reason he did anyway.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Verm/Perl mix for bottom of shotgun [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10134555 - 04/09/09 06:03 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

They will be fine for a day without any holes. You dont wont to go bigger than 1/4 inch or you risk effecting rh.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate