Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Violence against Males
    #1012436 - 11/01/02 08:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Watched "Everybody Loves Raymond" for the first time last night. Found nothing humorous in it. In one scene Raymond's wife elbows him hard in the solar plexus and knocks the breath out of him to shut him up. *Lots of laffs* A short while later, she elbows him in the testicles bending him over in agony accompanied by great guffaws from the laugh track. Every time Raymond tries to stand erect, he can't due to the pain - and of course, there is more laughter.

I will bet the network does not receive a single letter in protest, because violence against males is "acceptable". Now reverse the gender. Imagine Raymond punching his wife hard in the face or breast to shut her up. People would be out in the streets demonstrating, it would receive media attention, the show would be pulled and a public apology would be issued.

Why do you think that is?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (11/01/02 09:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: Violence against Males [Re: Swami]
    #1012480 - 11/01/02 08:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't watched any TV myself for many years so i have no idea to what level it has sunk. From what you're saying here Swami i would opine that perhaps it's the laugh track itself that programs the audience's responce in advance. ie: there's laughter, so this must be funny....much in the same way that the tv audience would go into hysterics at jackie gleason threatening to send Alice "to the moon" in the old "honeymooners" series(i never saw the humour in that either)

The reason i attrubute so much import to the laugh track is, by way of contrast, in toronto at least, the newspaper cartoon Andy Capp was cancelled due to the number of compaints the local paper recieved re Flo(anydy's wife) whacking him with her purse.

i would think that somehow the printed media wouldn't upset readers as much as TV as it seems to lack the visual auditory oompfff of the televised media but the fact that a cartoon was cancelled and yet what you described recieves little or nothing in the way of public protest seems to point to a desensitivation of the television audience....

Peronally after 8 or 9 years without watching it, the entire tv medium is like looking at one big flashing neon sign when you have a pounding headache on a rainy night.

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Edited by FreakQlibrium (11/01/02 09:03 AM)

OfflineNewbie2000
Idiot:www.soby.us

Re: Violence against Males [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1012718 - 11/01/02 11:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, Everybody Loves Raymond is one of the stupidist (is that a word?) shows on television. It has no hmor, and to me, no appeal at all. yet i am forced by my evil girlfriend to sit and watch it night after night. It is my own personal Hell. But.......if you add shrooms to the mix and watch it preferribly during the stage when the shrooms first kick in, the show is hilarious!
Okay, maybe not. Raymond sux. His show sux. TV sux. But, what can you do.
Trust me - hitting women is not allowed. That's the rulez. I once saw an episode of Cops where this woman kept oenig up the door and punching her husband in the face. and I mean HARD. Right in front of two cops. They did nothing but giggle and tell her to stop. Now if the guy had hit her back, his ass would've been going to jail. Society sux. Can't we all just get along?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1012826 - 11/01/02 12:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Imagine Raymond punching his wife hard in the face or breast to shut her up. People would be out in the streets demonstrating

Watch a little less television and go to a few more battered womens refuges. The real world doesn't always coincide with television.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: Violence against Males [Re: Xlea321]
    #1013038 - 11/01/02 01:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I totally agree, but it really doesn't bother me though. (as long as Im not being elbowed in the nuts)

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Violence against Males [Re: ]
    #1013190 - 11/01/02 02:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

fuck network TV, its all about cable and sattelite.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1013200 - 11/01/02 02:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Violence against Males [Re: Xlea321]
    #1013815 - 11/01/02 06:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Watch a little less television and go to a few more battered womens refuges. The real world doesn't always coincide with television.

What is your point? Yes, violence against women certainly exists and is horrific, but it is NOT condoned as violence against males is. Please give me the address of just ONE battered men's refuges. Male spousal abuse is one of the least reported crimes in this country. As males are generally bigger, stronger and more aggressive than females, how could they possibly be the victim?

Perhaps you forget the Bobbitt (sp?) case where his penis was cut off AS HE SLEPT! Past transgressions are absolutely no excuse for such a heinous crime. He posed no threat to his wife AT THAT MOMENT. She had other options. Unbelievably, she was declared "innocent" of her self-admitted assault and mutilation. Once again, switch genders and report back to me the LIKELY outcome.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #1013863 - 11/01/02 06:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well, its kind of hard to invision a man cutting off his wife's vagina in her sleep. haha.

wait...sticking a knife in there, holy shit. he'd be in jail for a LONG ass time, no matter what. I see your point....

but you must realize that life itself is unfair. I mean 100 years ago, black people were slaves. you say times change so much (not u, the average person) but we really haven't come that far....minus the technology we are still just primitive animals.

maybe in the future this issue will be resolved, you are on to something. but you must remember, this kind of discimination happens to all kinds of sexes and colors.

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Loc: Earth
    #1013951 - 11/01/02 07:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with you 100% on this one. It makes me sick that violence even has to be used as a form of comedy. I mean, come on, how fucking bad of a writer are you when you have to have nut shots thrown in to create a laugh. I also believe that it does send subtle messages to women that violence is an acceptable form of taming their man. Humans are humans and any form of abuse or violence is unnacceptable. Television is an extremely powerful tool. I just hope someday people will wake up and start using it to better humanity and not to fuel greed, violence, laziness, envy, and just about every negative attribute a human can possess.

--------------------
"It's not until we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything." TDFC

Anonymous

Re: Violence against Males [Re: postanaldrip]
    #1013974 - 11/01/02 07:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

All shows that depend on the laugh tapes are worthless anyway. If they take out the stupid tape, you would notice that all of the jokes are totally stupid and you could sit through a whole episode without even cracking a smile besides maybe at what a pathetic attempt at comedy it is. And if the laugh tape wasn't there making it seem funny how she was beating him, and she just hit him and he got all hurt and no one was laughing, most people would think it was weird and fucked up.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Violence against Males [Re: ]
    #1014588 - 11/02/02 12:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i don't get it, they even have fake laughter on the outtakes you see sometimes after some shows??? now that's fukked.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology