Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecombs
Stranger
Male

Re: can i use a Pot to sterilize WBS [Re: Blutjager]
    #10126834 - 04/07/09 09:48 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

i spent all winter creating oyster spawn without a pc- i created about 70 quart jars- with no contams.
these jars i will use to inoculate un-pasturized straw outdoors.

my point- unless you live in a mold laden environment you should be fine with out a pc.
things can be done and done well without a pc.

--------------------
All I wanna do is shake jars with you, stay up late at night and make spawn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: can i use a Pot to sterilize WBS [Re: ABC]
    #10126853 - 04/07/09 09:52 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
I've done fractional sterilization with some success, with oyster LC. However, the multispore failed every time for me. (It worked on cakes, though)

I can't recommend fractional sterilization...

But now I have a pc

Oyster mushroom mycelium munches bacteria like a fat kid on a twinkie.  However, your success with any other species is going to be less than ten percent.  A pressure cooker is a must in this hobby for anyone using grains.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't have just popped up $1,600 for two AA 75X sterilizers, in addition to my other PCs, an AA 921 and an AA 941.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecombs
Stranger
Male

Re: can i use a Pot to sterilize WBS [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10126880 - 04/07/09 09:57 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

well i rest my case, but i would not hesitate to try if i was the original poster.

--------------------
All I wanna do is shake jars with you, stay up late at night and make spawn.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: can i use a Pot to sterilize WBS [Re: combs]
    #10127724 - 04/08/09 01:19 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Do you have them in possession RR?  I'd be curious on what you're opinion is between the x75 and the 941.  I'm thinking about getting a 941 and a portable propane burner for mobility.  I don't like having a PC on my stove 24/7.  That and my old presto 23 quart is starting to bulge through the bottom plate... its starting to scare me now.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: can i use a Pot to sterilize WBS [Re: Blutjager]
    #10128223 - 04/08/09 05:42 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

Therian said:
I've done several jars of wbs without pressure cooking them, and every time it worked out great.  After attempting perhaps 20 jars I had a 100% success rate...at cultivating bacteria! 

Just bacteria,no mold,your the man :dielaughing: 5 for you :thumbup:

And that shows that steam sterilising grains dont work. Steam sterilisation will kill moulds, but bacteria can survive.

that is why a pressure cooker is needed. Its not because of mould, if that were the case then we couldnt steam sterilise pf substrate.

I bought a pressure cooker because i thought steam sterilisation was iffy,  was getting mould all the time. Well i still got mould when pressure cooking at 15 psi for 2 hours.

Untill i started using a glovebox.

But back to the point. Buy yourself a pressure cooker. Try and find 1 somewhere second hand. Ive seen otheres post decent prices for a presto PC thats a fair size, though not as big as an AA.

If you get one and its not realy a big one. And you want to do alot of jars, instead of spending all day sterilising, why not just do 1 PC cycle, inoc then when there near done, start sterilising more each day and do grain to grain transfers :-)

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags