Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: bivalve]
    #1011744 - 10/31/02 10:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I?m not a cynic. I?m a realist."

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: bivalve]
    #1012396 - 11/01/02 05:46 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The movement was only a failure because the government was too strong.

I agree that Jefferson Airplane don't believe in the same things they did in the 60's, but i'm not interested in how they think now. When I hear their music from the 60's, I can relate to how they felt at that particular moment in time before they got confused and gave up.

Just because "White Rabbit" is being used in a commercial doesn't mean that The Airplane members ok'ed it. You always hear Beatles and CCR songs in commercials, but neither of those groups own their music.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (09/23/12 08:23 AM)

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: Learyfan]
    #1012833 - 11/01/02 10:03 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hi LF. It must be remembered that the Airplane were one of the most dysfunctional bands in the history of contemporary music. The fact that they were able to stay together as long as they did and produce the words and music that typified the entire era in such a grand manner is more a testament to the strength of their vision than the fact that they no longer embrace those values......

It's true to an extent what you say about "the government being too strong". As one who watched/lived through the dkissasembale of what appeared to be such a beatific vision i'd like to give you a take based on my direct experience.....

i think it was a massive failure of nerve on the part of the individuls at the time. i saw most(almost all, in fact) of the people i tripped with in high skool(the ones i sat around talking for endless houirs how much better the world would be if WE were in contol,etc) getting their hair cut, putting on suits, getting married/having kids etc..

In short, everything that they SWORE they would never become....and just like an armada of "little tin soldiers" :grin: they fell in line, no longer dancing but marching to the strum and drang of societies "realities" and the pressures foisted upon them...

From experience, i believe there was a personal choice involved, it's just that most lacked the intestinal fortitude/backbone to live in a way that felt right to them, instead choosing to put on the yoke of cultural expectations.....

There were a few of us that refused to put on this yoke but in doing that we faced the firing squad of social censure almost to the point of quarantine lest our thoughts/ideals/beliefs affect some of our more conformist hence"successful"  contemporaries....

It's my belief that you're not that much of a Zappa fan, LF, but for what i consider to be a true genius album, check out "We're only in it for the money" where Zappa and Co mercilessly shred apart Both the contemporary underground/hippie culture of the times as well as derisively chiding the conservative contingent still in control....it offers a balanced and yet totally typically off the wall Zappaesque take on things.... :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Edited by FreakQlibrium (11/01/02 10:18 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1012883 - 11/01/02 10:22 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting. Let me respond.

Quote:

From experience, i believe there was a personal choice involved, it's just that most lacked the intestinal fortitude/backbone
    to live in a way that felt right to them, instead choosing to put on the yoke of cultural expectations.....

There were a few of us that refused to put on this yoke but in doing that we faced the firing squad of social censure almost
    to the point of quarantine lest our thoughts/ideals/beliefs affect some of our more conformist hence"successful"
    contemporaries....

That's basically what i'm trying to say. The government, and the government controlled media made it far too difficult for the movement to continue on a mass scale.

Quote:

It's my belief that you're not that much of a Zappa fan, LF, but for what i consider to be a true genius album, check out
    "We're only in it for the money" where Zappa and Co mercilessly shred apart Both the contemporary culture of the times
    as well as derisively chiding the conservative contingent still in control....it offers a balanced and yet totally typically off the
    wall Zappaesque take on things.... 

Yeah, i'm not a big fan of Zappas music, but I do consider him a spiritual aly. If I come across that album, I will check it out, thanks.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (09/23/12 08:23 AM)

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1012900 - 11/01/02 10:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't even try to view the "sixties" in terms of success or failure. I think that it was a great tumultuous time. One of many adventures on personal/social/political levels, and that there are still many legacies from it to be found today.

It was probably an exciting time (I was just a kid), much like the twenties in America or Europe, and that we need to have these turbulent little decades from time to time, but we also need our sleepy little decades too. It?s just all part of the ebb and flow of history.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: Papaver]
    #1014286 - 11/01/02 08:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I listen to TOOL.

:smile:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinecroftsk
cupcake

Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: Murex]
    #1015091 - 11/02/02 02:59 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i cant believe i missed the sixties...I havent even SEEN real LSD!!!

--------------------
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.
You are free. - Jim Morrison

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: "White Rabbit" used in video game commercial [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #1015496 - 11/02/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Go ask Alice... :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom