Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGrooveSalad
Stranger
Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first.
    #10116214 - 04/06/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah great, 28 y/o physically active smoker, no body fat, 6'1" 185 LBS. and sick for a year now.  Diagnosed with circulatory disease from 10 years +/- of smoking cigarettes.  May need angioplasty or worse to clean out my fucked up vessels and arteries.

Quit smoking now.  Some awful disease will creep up on you from this shit, it's just a matter of when.  I never thought I'd be "that sick guy" and here I am.  Up a creek and w/out a paddle and regretting ever touching a cigarette.  This disease is miserable and getting worse.  Almost bedridden here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHits of Sunshine
Raft Guide

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: GrooveSalad]
    #10116302 - 04/06/09 11:44 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I quit cigarettes pretty much right after I started and gave them up forever. Im herb only.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis and all the shit you have to deal with...and good luck with the quitting.
I just dont understand why people continue to keep smoking even though its been proven time and time again that it WILL destroy almost everything in your body. After learning what was actually in a cigarette I couldnt even enjoy them anymore so it was easy quitting.

OfflineGrooveSalad
Stranger
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: Hits of Sunshine]
    #10116325 - 04/06/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hits of Sunshine said:
...and good luck with the quitting.

thanks and you can believe I quit the moment I got really sick, I suspected smoking caused it from the beginning, now I know.

Too little too late if I had continued to smoke that deadly vascular constrictor after my diagnosis I would not be here. 

evil stuff run while you can, please.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: MTC, Illinois
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: GrooveSalad]
    #10123136 - 04/07/09 12:49 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

im really sorry to hear to. I myself am a smoker, tried to quit a few times but to no luck. Ive been smoking since i was 13 and i will be 21 next month, so its been 8 years of pack a day smoking (menthol even).

any tips you have for someone trying to quit?

--------------------
Unfortunately, the American justice system is just riddled with lies and inconsistencies.
Tommy Chong

I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway.
Syd Barrett

George: The official toxicity limit for humans is between one and one and half grams of cocaine depending on body weight. I was averaging five grams a day, maybe more. I snorted ten grams in ten minutes once. I guess I had a high tolerance.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: DarksideOTheMoon]
    #10123273 - 04/07/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:
im really sorry to hear to. I myself am a smoker, tried to quit a few times but to no luck. Ive been smoking since i was 13 and i will be 21 next month, so its been 8 years of pack a day smoking (menthol even).

Willpower? :shrug: A ounce of Self Discipline? Respect for those around you? Not wanting to smell like shit? Care for your health? Respect for you body that holds you?

the list goes on and on :jamming:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (04/07/09 01:24 PM)

OfflineGrooveSalad
Stranger
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: DarksideOTheMoon]
    #10123474 - 04/07/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:

thanks man, it's quite simple... cold turkey.  The physical withdrawals are over in 72 hours.  the rest is mental.  In fact when I look back on how easy quitting smoking is compared to avoiding all this misery it's quite comical.  You won't know until you're there and I'm talking to myself at that age when I speak here, and I know I didn't give a shit and kept on smoking.  After all I have good genes and am healthy right?

I quit cold turkey many times when I was your age, and relapsed because I felt I had the "addiction beat and could quit any time I want" so then I went back to smoking of course.  If I knew then what I know now I could have saved myself a lot of pain and probably my life.

I know how cliche it all sounds and, it will never be "you" this stuff happens to other people.  But it's a dangerous game of whack-a-mole and I just got whacked.  And when it gets you your life is fucked in every sense.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #10123736 - 04/07/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:

Yeah, not to be condescending, but how about just not putting cigarettes in your mouth?  It's not a luck thing.  There are no percentages involved.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblesterbeklang
w/e
Male

Loc: Filthy Rock
    #10123913 - 04/07/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:
its been 8 years of pack a day smoking (menthol even).

Is smoking menthols worse than smoking regular cigarettes?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: sterbeklang]
    #10124385 - 04/07/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have heard yes.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: Almond Flour]
    #10126828 - 04/07/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tea said:
Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:

Willpower? :shrug: A ounce of Self Discipline? Respect for those around you? Not wanting to smell like shit? Care for your health? Respect for you body that holds you?

the list goes on and on :jamming:

your not a smoker are ya? not to sound like a dick or anything but to quit smoking is probably one of the hardest habbits to quit, its stronger then a heroin addiction. And btw smell, respect, health etc are reasonsto quit,  not tips on how to quit :wink:

But yea, ive found its a 50/50 split, the addiction part isnt so hard to overcome its the habit of doing it, i.e driving, work, after eating etc etc..

After i finish this carton i will attempt once again to quit...mind over matter

--------------------
Unfortunately, the American justice system is just riddled with lies and inconsistencies.
Tommy Chong

I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway.
Syd Barrett

George: The official toxicity limit for humans is between one and one and half grams of cocaine depending on body weight. I was averaging five grams a day, maybe more. I snorted ten grams in ten minutes once. I guess I had a high tolerance.

Edited by DarksideOTheMoon (04/07/09 09:50 PM)

OfflineGrooveSalad
Stranger
    #10127250 - 04/07/09 10:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:
After i finish this carton i will attempt once again to quit...mind over matter

find out how strong you are and leave that carton sitting around, and just quit cold turkey now.  It's awesome.  I still have my original pack when I found out for sure what was causing this bullshit.

I keep it around to remind me of how I fucked up my life smoking and will not smoke another one if I want to live to see another day.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#10128235 - 04/08/09 05:55 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I quit for 9 months then started again because of smoking at music festivals. Damnit, it's just too good on drugs. I will attempt again in a couple of months though.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10128412 - 04/08/09 07:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Cigarettes are easy to quit. You just simply stop.

Even if you're having a hard time quitting,

you will still do it, only if you truly want to.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#10131378 - 04/08/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How much did you smoke a day on average?

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: Viveka]
    #10131682 - 04/08/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

There are natural methods of healing your circulatory system.  Eating a bad diet will synergize with smoking to cause these problems.  Adopt a new lifestyle now, don't just quit smoking, eat healthy etc.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Offlineisaacein
exp(ix) = cosx + isinx

#10132024 - 04/08/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I suggest anyone trying to quit to try nicotine gum. Fuck cold turkey; most smokers who try to quit cold turkey fail a ridiculous amount of times before they succeed.

Get yourself some nicotine gum. Get addicted to that. It's still bad for you, but quite a lot less than tobacco. The switch from cigarettes to gum is incredibly easy, and later you can worry about quitting the gum - which is much easier.
If you get the gum, though, swear never to smoke another one.

--------------------
Formula: 0

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: isaacein]
    #10132988 - 04/08/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

it will be easier for me to quit if i just finish the carton, otherwise it will just taunt me.

i tried the gum and it didnt work for me. the one thing that helped me quit is the 4mg Commit lozenges. i went out and bought another 3 pack of them for when i try again

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#10133027 - 04/08/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'm curious: At what point did you start buying cartons?  I've smoked on and off for probably nine years and I've never once considered buying a carton, that just seems like way too big of a commitment to something obviously bad. 

Then again, I don't see how people could keep up a pack a day or more habit either.  My tobacco use is fairly sporadic.  Perhaps I'm just fortunate to have a less addictive disposition then some but man, a carton?  That's a 200 cigarette commitment right there.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

#10133168 - 04/08/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i started buying cartons when i realized i was buying a pack a day at 4.94 which if rounded to 5 is $35 a week, for 7 packs when i can buy a carton for $40 and have it last 10 days or more.

heres why i smoke a pack a day. Wake up- smoke 1, drive to work- smoke 2, first break- smoke 2, lunch- smoke 3, third break- smoke 1, drive home- 2 more..finish the 9 left sporadically through the day...like i said its hard for me to quit before ive gotten in such a habit or smoking in these specific times and places

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#10133827 - 04/09/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Damn.  What if you tried hand rolling for a while?  That would change up your routine and give you an opportunity to make a clean break after that.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

#10138940 - 04/09/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

haha, im the worst roller ever, i can do it but its shitty and still takes me like 15 min to do one. then if i did it id just get frustrated and pissed and buy a pack.

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#10139220 - 04/09/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It's not the easiest thing in the world.  Spend some time practicing rolling instead of smoking.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

#10139423 - 04/09/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if i end up doing home rolled, ill just buy one of them handy dandy joint rollers and save myself the time and frustration

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#10139648 - 04/09/09 10:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That defeats the purpose man!  If you do that you'll end up packing around a bunch of pre-rolled smokes and you might as well be buying packs of straights at that point.  If you handroll, instead of smoking three smokes at lunch you can smoke one and spend the extra time rolling and thinking about your routine.  You'll smoke less and the act of rolling itself can be as satisfying as smoking, plus one handrolled smoke packs the same punch as three of those corporate gags.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10141464 - 04/10/09 09:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DarksideOTheMoon said:

Set yourself a date, let's say one month from now.  Swear to yourself that you will have ZERO nicotine during this time as an experiment.  Find some substitute activity to do whenever you feel the urge to light one up; weed works well as an alternative smokeable.

I guarantee that if you make it to the end of the month your willpower will have significantly improved and you won't want to go back to it.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleChronic7
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: deCypher]
    #10141480 - 04/10/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i find if i just eat really healthy & do loads of exercise i don't want to smoke, but the second i have something bad, pizza, kfc, mcdonalds i want a cigarette after!

ill only vape & eat weed & when all my friends are passing round nasty joint i just hit my vaporgenie pipe

cigarettes are nasty

Hope the OP is feelin better

:peace:

--------------------

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
    #10141633 - 04/10/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GrooveSalad said:
Yeah great, 28 y/o physically active smoker, no body fat, 6'1" 185 LBS. and sick for a year now.  Diagnosed with circulatory disease from 10 years +/- of smoking cigarettes.  May need angioplasty or worse to clean out my fucked up vessels and arteries.

Quit smoking now.  Some awful disease will creep up on you from this shit, it's just a matter of when.  I never thought I'd be "that sick guy" and here I am.  Up a creek and w/out a paddle and regretting ever touching a cigarette.  This disease is miserable and getting worse.  Almost bedridden here.

Thanks for the heads up. Yikes. Get better.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: deCypher]
    #10155097 - 04/12/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i have 2 packs to go in the carton then its game time and ill use my commit lozenges again.

yeah i cant use weed as an alternative because im trying to stay clean, thinking bout joining the AF. I seen a thing on the net, its like a big plastic cigg, looks ironically like a big hitter, and it has like a nicotin plug in it and you use it like a cig and it makes smokes n shit but i guess doesnt have all the nasty chems n shit in it. if all else fails ill try that

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

Invisibleindian hemp
Stranger
Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. *DELETED* [Re: DarksideOTheMoon]
    #10160627 - 04/13/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by indian hemp

Reason for deletion: ikl;

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Forget cancer, it's your cardio system smoking kills first. [Re: indian hemp]
    #10160836 - 04/13/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think it would be pretty evil and shitty to murder people for manufacturing something that people demand in the market.  People don't lose their lives to cigarettes, they lose them to their own choices and the forces of nature.

OfflineDarksideOTheMoon
OnceAndFutureShroomer
Male User Gallery

#10161426 - 04/13/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

so true. thats like all the uber fat people sueing micky d's for making them fat..same with ciggs, no one forces you to smoke, its our own choice

--------------------
Tommy Chong

Syd Barrett

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale