Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomWhore
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Land of Oz
Polyfill: When too much is too much
    #10104015 - 04/04/09 06:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So this is my first grow (still to start the glow log thread. Sorry everyone :frown:) and have a question regarding the polyfill tek.

How much is too much? I was pushing as much as physically possible into the 3/8 hole in the tin lid thinking that no space can be allowed. After an unrelated problem which resulted in 9 of my 10 jars being tossed because of a bad spore syringe causing contam I was forced to start a new batch of WBS and sterilising etc...

I made up a second batch and nocc'd with a new spore print.

On this third batch I used much less pollyfill. It feels much more idealic now with this smaller amount. I am absolutely sure I have the right quantity of polfill now which is about 1/4 as much as I was craming in before. Now I am worried I will have gas exchange problems with my previous jars. Will the myc create a positive or negative pressure environment and push all the bad gases out or pull in the good gases regardless of how tight the polyfill is stuffed into the holes? Or will I suffer the path of less resistance problem and get contam from a poor lid seal or somerthing???

So others know what *I* think a good feeling amount of pollyfill is for a 3/8 hole:

Take a wad of pollyfill in your hand. Make a loose fist and gently push your middle finger into the fist, making the polyfill cover you finger. Grab the polyfill with the other hand so it is in a dome shape in your hand. Push the end of the dome through one side of the lid and pull it through with the other hand uintil it feels snug. Cut the excess off on both sides so it is shaped like the caps of sweet sweet shrooms. :grin:

** Edit - corrected hole size from 3/4 to 3/8

Edited by ShroomWhore (04/04/09 04:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
Re: Polyfill: When too much is too much [Re: ShroomWhore]
    #10104067 - 04/04/09 07:15 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

3/4 is big but I made a bunch of jars with 1 inch holes that worked.  3/8 to 1/2 is as big as i would go though. I just take the polyfil. roll it in a ball and push it in.  If you compact it too tightly then gas exchange will be slower.  No contams should be able to get through the polyfil unless it gets wet.

I personally when doing qts use a tyvek barrier under the lid and cover my inoculation hole with masking tape and the gas exchange hole with micro-pore tape.  In the end it takes less time then fucking with that stuff.  I only use polyfil for airports and prolonging the shelf life of pasteurized manure if I dont want to freeze it.

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

OfflineShroomWhore
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Land of Oz
Re: Polyfill: When too much is too much [Re: JSshroom]
    #10108849 - 04/05/09 03:11 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks JShroom. When you say you use masking tape how do you do that if you have the tyvec under the lid?

Would there be a problem with piercing the tyvec with the needle then covering the hole in the lid with mirco pore tape?

By the way, the 3/4 was a typo I have corrected. :wink:

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
Re: Polyfill: When too much is too much [Re: ShroomWhore]
    #10111158 - 04/05/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

jar lid off, tyvek layer, lid screwed on with 2 holes, Micropore tape over one hole, then I take two one inch pieces of masking tape.  double them up and fold a corner over so there is a little handle.  Put that over the other hole.  cover with foil, PC, then when ready to inoculat.  wipe with alcohol, lift edge of tape but I dont remove the tape, just enough to see the hole, inoculate and push the tape back down over the whole.  gas exchange is handled by the other hole.  Depending on how big the gas exchange holes are.  You might remove the masking tape, inoculate and cover that hole with some micro-pore tape that was wiped with alcohol on the sticky side

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract