Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Black pin mold?
    #1006117 - 10/30/02 11:33 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I had what looked like black pin mold in a quart jar of millet. It was a spot about the size of a pencil eraser. That was 2 weeks ago. Since then the healthy looking rhizomorphic mycelium has overgrown it and now all i can see of it is a few spore stuck to the side of the glass. The jar is 100% colonized and looks extremely healthy. I gave it a good shaking today to break it up and it still looks fine. No signs of contamination whatsoever. I was gonna give it 24 hours to recover from shaking and then case it. Anyone see any problem with this? Do ya'll think it will work? Is this safe?
I was going to isolate this casing from everything else just in case and spray it down real good with some diluted peroxide.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Black pin mold? [Re: z@z.com]
    #1006246 - 10/30/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

I gave it a good shaking today to break it up and it still looks fine.

You shouldn't have done it this way, you've possibly spread contam spores all over the substrate. Next time don't shake it, wait untill it fully colonizes and when you finally break up the mycelium, remove carefully the contaminated area. In your case, only time will tell.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Black pin mold? [Re: MAIA]
    #1006266 - 10/30/02 12:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I had to shake it to get it out of the damn jar. It was a solid chunk and it was fully colonized. But if i do get a good flush off of it will they be ok to eat if they look normal, don't smell etc?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by z@z.com (10/30/02 12:02 PM)

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#1009314 - 10/31/02 05:17 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"But if i do get a good flush off of it will they be ok to eat if they look normal, don't smell etc?"

Yes, sure you can. Just keep an extra eye on those casings.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Black pin mold? [Re: MAIA]
    #1010743 - 10/31/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Still no signs of it coming back so i have a new theory as to what it is. I inoculated with 5cc from a very dark syringe. Since it was at the bottom of the jar im thinking that maybe a clump of spores just settled down to the bottom. But anyway I cased it and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1012619 - 11/01/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well it came back and took over the entire casing layer. I threw it away. oh well.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#1015323 - 11/02/02 08:38 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Green is a badass :mad:.
Better luck next time !

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale