Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
pastuerized straw shelf life
    #10103982 - 04/04/09 06:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I pasteurized a lot of straw to make logs.  I did not make enough.  After I pasteurized the straw I took day of rest so it has not been 2 1/2 days I think since I took it out of the how water lime bath.  I am making more straw today to finish the log as I dont have enough for a full log and I want to make several more. 

So I am starting on the pasteurization process right now.  It will be done by this evening.  and ready to use.  Which would bring the straw that is left to 3 to 3 1/3 days out of the previous bath.  Will this straw be ok or should I toss it out and just make all new stuff. 

I am pretty sure I cannot re-pasteurize it but I am just checking with you guys.

Also it is the the straw from the bottom of each bin that is most wet.  would this straw be any differnet then if it were the properly drained straw found in the top of each tote.  If that was confusing I am asking if wet straw vs drained straw uninoculated after 3 days would perform any differently.  I always clean the bathtub with alcohol and prepare the logs from the bottoms of tubs in the bathroom and set them in the tub to drain off the majority of their water btw so they dont make such a huge mess and require lots of mopping up of the water.

When I do my logs I follow the RR tek to a T, but when I am done building the log and poke the holes in it.  I set them on tote lids from totes I no longer have so the run off can just be mopped up over the first 1-2-3 days.  Then I move them into the greenhouses to finish before I cut them open or put them on other shelves without the tote lids under them.

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJSshroom

Re: pastuerized straw shelf life [Re: JSshroom]
    #10104147 - 04/04/09 07:51 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

alright I have more straw all chopped up and half of it is soaking in the soap hot water solution.  Ill be back in two hours to dunk it in the lime bath.  Hopefully someone can give me a heads up on this today as I will have my straw done probably by two this afternoon and then cool by 5 and more logs in production. 

If no one gets back with me then I will make an experiment out of it if I did not prepare enough New straw.  for the logs. 

Help me please. 

btw I did use the search engine for longevity of pre-pastuerized straw and other similar searches.

Peace everyone

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10104495 - 04/04/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Use the 'old' straw for a small, separate log.  Use the newly pasteurized straw for future projects.  Pasteurized straw will be green within two weeks if not fully colonized.  That gives you a fairly small window to achieve full colonization.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJSshroom

Re: pastuerized straw shelf life [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10104571 - 04/04/09 10:41 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok no problem.  So in the future I should pasteurize on one day and load all the hot straw into the totes to cool and build the logs the next day or that night depending on how cool the tubs are.

how cool do the tubs have to be.  I think mycelium death is at 106F? Could I go ahead and spawn them at 100F?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10104918 - 04/04/09 11:58 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JSshroom said:
Could I go ahead and spawn them at 100F?

Yup.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies