Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrippatient
Stranger
 User Gallery

Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong???
    #10099130 - 04/03/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i have five casings that contamed with trich. three contamed after the first flush and one contamed before the first flush even came through.

when i dumped it out the trich was spread to the substrate which i didnt even see

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

i crumble and case as usual, spraying the air with lysol before hand, then lightly case with unpasteurized 50/50 with no lime added to it.

is this my problem? i didnt pasteurize because i read a post of RR's saying that im better off not doing anything to my casing layer because of the beneficial microbes in the casing.

also, does lime make a casing layer more contam resistant?

thanks in advance for any advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: trippatient]
    #10099159 - 04/03/09 08:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

pasteurizing shouldnt kill the microbes, but sterilization would. RR told me that you want to pasteurize your casing layer. Thats prob where your getting your contams from. You need to do something to it.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Invisiblegoldieman
On some other shit!

Loc: midwest
Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: trippatient]
    #10099171 - 04/03/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trippatient said:
i have five casings that contamed with trich. three contamed after the first flush and one contamed before the first flush even came through.

when i dumped it out the trich was spread to the substrate which i didnt even see

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

i crumble and case as usual, spraying the air with lysol before hand, then lightly case with unpasteurized 50/50 with no lime added to it.

is this my problem? i didnt pasteurize because i read a post of RR's saying that im better off not doing anything to my casing layer because of the beneficial microbes in the casing.

also, does lime make a casing layer more contam resistant?

thanks in advance for any advice

so you crumble brf cakes and case with unpasteurized 50/50 w/ no additives? i see alot wrong right there. when rr says what he says, he's assuming you can provide optimal conditions, and that you have a basic knowledge/experience in cultivating mushrooms. since it sounds like you dont have that experience, heres a couple tips.

first, when you crumble your cakes, do you give them time to recover before adding casing? i would crumble, wait a couple days, and then case. that way the mycelium can recover and form that solid network that gives it more of a contam resistance.

second, i would follow a true and tried tek of 50/50+. that means half verm, half peat, about 10% calcium carbonate and at least 1 tablespoon of hydrated lime  per quart of peat. get a ph tester and get it above 8 before applying it to crumbled cakes. that low ph is a fav for trich. pateurize it in bags, jars; microwave, pc, boil in pot... there are plenty teks in the forum that a thorough search will provide you.

i truly think that casing is what did you in. and the reason it got down into your sub i believe is because the substrate was exposed to that casing without there being an strong network of mycelium between the casing and substrate. if that makes any sense.

good luck my friend. do some serious reading. and you'll get it straight. worse case scenario try using only verm as a casing. i know its not ideal, but many including myself have had luck with it in the past.

Offlinetrippatient
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: iskinbash]
    #10099174 - 04/03/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yesterday, i microwaved some casing in with water for about 15 min, when i took it out, it was dry.

is this pasteurization or sterilization?

and what about the lime? does it fight contams?

Offlinetrippatient
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10099181 - 04/03/09 08:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok, so if i were to case with pure verm, this would prevent contamination?

and what is calcium carbonate and where can i buy it?

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#10099188 - 04/03/09 08:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i think microwaving for 15 minutes would be sterilization, but that depends on the temperature the casing material reached in the microwave. if it was dry when you took it out, i dont think you had hydrated it enough, not to mention 15 minutes is a bit long... The lime will help the ph of the casing layer, and apperently trich loves the lower ph? Lime will raise it. I use a product called Jiffy Mix. Its a premixed bag of 50/50 peat/verm with added lime. I get it at home depot for just a few dollars a bag. You can add some gypsum (calcium carbonate) to it as well.

--------------------

Offlinetrippatient
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10099200 - 04/03/09 08:32 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok im gonna buy jiffy mix. is it pasteurized out of the bag? or do i have to pasteurize it myself?

Invisiblegoldieman
On some other shit!

Loc: midwest
    #10099212 - 04/03/09 08:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trippatient said:
ok, so if i were to case with pure verm, this would prevent contamination?

and what is calcium carbonate and where can i buy it?

you can buy it at most garden centers or nurserys. pure verm wouldn't prevent contams exactly. anything can contam. it's proper technique that prevents contams. the only way to perfect your technique is to practice. and to READ,READ,READ... and then READ some more. and then keep reading.

i've been reading posts on this forum for the past two years daily and still feel like i dont know shit. but i have been able to keep contams at bay. so i have learned something.

you need to do some studying. if you use the search function theres a post by dumbfounded1600 that says, "all of rr's notes in one post". if you don't know, rr is for rogerrabbit. he is a trusted cultivator on this forum and knows his shit. read that super long post a couple times. i guarantee you will be smarter when you're done.

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: goldieman]
    #10099229 - 04/03/09 08:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

no, youre going to need to pasteurize the jiffy mix before use. Its just convenient that its all pre-mixed.

--------------------

OfflineCaptain Caveman
Uh-oh!
 User Gallery

Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: iskinbash]
    #10099509 - 04/03/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

At least you know wtf your contam IS. I have been battling this yellow shit, and after my current subs flush out, im gonna have to give that room a good douching :laugh:

--------------------
"Captain CAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!"

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: Captain Caveman]
    #10099550 - 04/03/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You have to pasteurize your casing layer. Casing layer problems aside, if your grows are contaminating before your first flush, you probably have bad spawn.

P. Cubensis doesn't even need a casing layer - substituting crumpled wax paper will actually improve yields over a traditional casing.

OfflineCaptain Caveman
Uh-oh!
 User Gallery

Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: Brennus]
    #10099570 - 04/03/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
You have to pasteurize your casing layer. Casing layer problems aside, if your grows are contaminating before your first flush, you probably have bad spawn.

P. Cubensis doesn't even need a casing layer - substituting crumpled wax paper will actually improve yields over a traditional casing.

But only if you have OPTIMAL conditions does it play on par with casing.

--------------------
"Captain CAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Help! casings keep getting contamed! what am i doing wrong??? [Re: Captain Caveman]
    #10099602 - 04/03/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Peat must have lime added when used as a casing material.  I've never recommended not heat treating casing layers.  I've experimented myself with untreated casing layers on such species as P cyanescens, shaggy manes, and agaricus which require microbes in the casing layer to fruit, but if you're growing cubensis, you should always pasteurize the casing layer material.

Microwaves are not suitable for mycology in any way, shape or form, and I've never recommended using them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineskattman1982
Stranger
Male

#10099786 - 04/03/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Peat must have lime added when used as a casing material.  I've never recommended not heat treating casing layers.  I've experimented myself with untreated casing layers on such species as P cyanescens, shaggy manes, and agaricus which require microbes in the casing layer to fruit, but if you're growing cubensis, you should always pasteurize the casing layer material.

Microwaves are not suitable for mycology in any way, shape or form, and I've never recommended using them.
RR

:rockon:

microwaves dont usually even heat evenly so why bother? use steam or hot water to pastuerize every time you case a sub. end of story. get this right and you shouldnt have a problem with mold in your casing.
Quote:

Captain Caveman said:
Quote:

Brennus said:

But only if you have OPTIMAL conditions does it play on par with casing.

wax paper can get soggy and lead to contams especially if you are already having a problem with mold. you might have some wax paper laying around and think well sit easy fix but you shouldnt recommend something like this to a noob who cant even get more than a lucky flush with a cased sub

learn how to properly pastuerize casing materials before messing around with different methods. besides... as was pointed out earlier in this thread cubensis does not even need a casing layer to fruit, hence part of the reason why cakes are considered noob friendly. go to the mush cult archive and read up on casings and casing prep.

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.-Bill Hicks-

by the way, everything i write is for entertainment purposes and is purely fictional. do not construe these written words with the author having any knowledge of actual persons, places, events, or actions.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck