Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetiptop
Stranger

Cent FL Id (yet again)
    #10094501 - 04/02/09 01:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Alrighty, Well, Today I was browsing the web, small talk with muh mommy, She mentioned a few times that the oaks in our front yard seem to produce a lot of mushroom under the shade, And the area under them is well manured for the most part, Not tilled, Simply pasteurized and shit on. So I showed her some pics of cubes and gold tops, she swore she saw some of them out there, So I went to take  a look.

Anyways, here's what I found when I wandered over there to check for some fungi action.

We will start with a loner I found under an oak, No poop around it, Growing simple from the ground, But like I said, Pasteurized land, Shit on often by horses.

I feel 90% sure it's some random mushroom I'm going to throw away, But a positive ID on a mushroom growing in my front yard would be amazing, Thank you for that.

Habitat: Grassy Area, Directly under a large oak, So I believe.

Gills: White in color, Appear to be attached. The cap of the mushroom has a small flap, That's like the only way I can describe it, Part of the flap is pointing upwards, The majority of the flap is hugging the bottom of the cap, overlapping the gills edges slightly, You should be able to make it out a bit in this pic:

Stem: About 2 inches in length, White in color, Has a fleshy texture, Immediately upon trying to pick the mushroom, I noticed right away that it had a very flimsy, Almost completely hollow stem, The top portion near the cap tore a bit as I attempted to remove the stem. It's quite a thick little stem, Slightly thinner than a double A battery.

Cap: Cap is about 1 inch in diameter from side to side, It has a very unique color, Not sure if its the species or the weather conditions, But it has a very Silver color to it. Texture is fleshy like most mushrooms I've came across.

Spore print color: Have not been able to acquire a lifted spore print yet, It's sad for at least a good 20 minutes and theres no sign. It's a freshie too.

Bruising: Doesn't appear to bruise at all.

Next we have a very interesting mushroom find in my front pasture, Growing directly from horse manure in clumps, We have :

Habitat: Horse manure, Pasteurized Field.

Gills: The gills are orange in color, They appear to be attached (please correct me if I misunderstand what "Attached" means) The gills appear to be quite spread out from each other, Not very close.

Stem:Stems are no longer than an inch on the biggest ones I could find, Maybe even shorter. And most of them are no more than a half inch in length, The majority of them are very young. The texture feels fleshy, I can't make out if they are hollow stems but they are very thin and fragile, From first examination. The stems appear to be Brown'ish Orange'ish.

Cap: Caps are a distinct dark orange'ish when young / very young, Small caps, Most not bigger than a nickle. Slightly smaller than a Quarter. Fleshy Texture, appear to be conical. They seem to be more of a brownish color when mature.

The caps also appear to have dark edges as they mature, You can make it out slightly in this pic:

Spore print color: No spore print that I've been able to acquire yet, Just like the first one above. No spore print is being produced after a good 30min. not even a sign.

Bruising: No apparent bruising that I can tell.

Few more various pics of where I found them,

That's about all I have for those 2 guys, Whatever they may be, Just more evidence that this should be a pretty active season :smile: 

If you wanna know anything else just holler.

Again,
THANK YOU, for taking the time to mull over my lengthy post. MUCH Appreciated!

Happy shrooming!

--------------------

:psychsplit:  :slomo:  :dizope: :dizope:  :slomo: :psychsplit:  ah  HAH,  Victory Joint!  :jointsmile:

Edited by tiptop (04/02/09 02:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: tiptop]
    #10094521 - 04/02/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

looks like there might be some cope pins in the latter pictures

--------------------

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #10094564 - 04/02/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well the 1st one is definitely not a cube or a pan cyan aka blue meanie.  It is a neat looking silvery mushroom. 

Here are a couple good cube pictures for reference...and yes that is horse poo.

Here are a couple good pan cyan pictures for reference...

These were all picked in C.FL. last year.

peace

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #10094580 - 04/02/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Great shots.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
    #10094585 - 04/02/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Try printing that first one on black paper.  I bet it has white spores and is an Amanita species. 

The rest look like Conocybes to me.

--------------------

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: landsnorkler]
    #10094700 - 04/02/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yep something in Vaginatae and some Conocybe.

Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: West coast Flag
Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: landsnorkler]
    #10094706 - 04/02/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

the amanita species looks very similiar to the vaginitas ive found on the west coast

Offlinetiptop
Stranger

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #10094744 - 04/02/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyblaze2316 said:
the amanita species looks very similiar to the vaginitas ive found on the west coast

Is that an actual species? Lmfao, Look at some of the things you find on google when typing that in "Vaginal Discharge - Vaginitas - MuViBee"  For example. Lmfao.

--------------------

:psychsplit:  :slomo:  :dizope: :dizope:  :slomo: :psychsplit:  ah  HAH,  Victory Joint!  :jointsmile:

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #10094764 - 04/02/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Take a look at these and ask your Mom if these look like the golden tops she's seen under the shady oak.  These are in the genus Boletales (Bolete).

I find them under the trees alot around here.

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: West coast Flag
    #10094784 - 04/02/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinetiptop
Stranger

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #10094903 - 04/02/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shroomgatherer said:
Take a look at these and ask your Mom if these look like the golden tops she's seen under the shady oak.  These are in the genus Boletales (Bolete).

I find them under the trees alot around here.

nope, not it shroomgatherer. But thats an interestin lookin fungi.

--------------------

Offlinetiptop
Stranger

#10095454 - 04/02/09 04:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, sporeprint on the big silver one is pure white. very noticeable on green paper.

Spore print for the little guy from the dung pile, it looks brown.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #10095476 - 04/02/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyblaze2316 said:
yes it is an actual species or possibly a "group"

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Amanita_vaginata.html

http://mushroomhobby.com/Gallery/Amanita/index.htm#Amanita_vaginata_california

probably Amanita pachycolea, but the bulb at the base of the stem is important in identification of that group.

Offlinetiptop
Stranger

#10095796 - 04/02/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Lmao, Oops! double post.... somehow... dunno how that happened :blush:

--------------------

Edited by tiptop (04/02/09 06:04 PM)

InvisibleDannyGlick

#10095807 - 04/02/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You already done said that 50 minutes agoooooooooo.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10095943 - 04/02/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

it was his other self in another dimension

Offlinetiptop
Stranger

Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: CptnGarden]
    #10096177 - 04/02/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah dunno how I managed to double post, haha. But anyways, As far as that gray / silver mushroom I linked first, The base of the stem did appear to be quite bulky, kinda like a thick root,  But I threw it away without thinking it may be a key identifier, and now it's too late and it's a little crumpled and flattened out...

I'll have to hopefully find another one out there for a pic for you guys, But anyhow, Are any of the possibles for that shroom.. edible? I kinda got the notion that they are, From mulling over a few random descriptions on this shroom. Mainly for culinary purposes, I know someone who is interested in eating fruits of the earth naturally.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Cent FL Id (yet again) [Re: CptnGarden]
    #10096192 - 04/02/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

probably Amanita pachycolea

The cap is too gray for that species, I'd guess something closer to Amanita vaginata.

There are a lot of undescribed species in the Vaginatae. 

Rod Tulloss has been studying that section for 15 years, you should make a better collection and see what he thinks it is.  Make sure to get a good clear pic of the volva at the base of the stem. 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom