Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepftek

To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough?
    #10087329 - 04/01/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Okay so this is the second time I am pcing jars and almost all the jars have about a half an inch of busted seeds on the bottom. And causes everything to stick together.

I pc for 80 mins at 15 psi. I even had all the jars out of the water.

Is it because the outside of my WBS is still wet? I am using Fooman's tek (tried with and without a presoak) and he only dries for like 30 mins. I dry for like an hour+. Still i get bursted kernels.

Edited by pftek (04/01/09 02:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: pftek]
    #10087351 - 04/01/09 01:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

bottom layer

I even took everything out of the water.

elaborate....i dont know what you mean by these statements

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Offlinepftek

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #10087386 - 04/01/09 02:04 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

200proofhonky said:
bottom layer

about an 1/2 inch of busted kernels on the bottom.

Quote:

I even took everything out of the water.

elaborate....i dont know what you mean by these statements

The jars were out of the water while pcing.

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: pftek]
    #10087501 - 04/01/09 02:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Do you turn your temp down to maintain 14-15psi or do you leave it going full blast?

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

#10087524 - 04/01/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

your always going to have some busted seeds.
Some people even prefer it.
I personally dont like anymore than about 40% to be busted.
It also depends on if your spawning or casing it.
if spawning less busted=better when casing more=better.
you should be fine,just shake the jars as soon as they cool.
They also should dry up and look a little better and "shake" better in a few days.
Ive never used foomans tek,i use DOC's (no reason for it,i just stuck with it)
I also like to always do a 24hr presoak to germinate endospores.

--------------------
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #10087533 - 04/01/09 02:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fltdriver82 said:
Do you turn your temp down to maintain 14-15psi or do you leave it going full blast?

turning down could help but some may not have that option.
I have to turn mine down or it will blow up.

--------------------

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #10087541 - 04/01/09 02:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Why wouldn't they have the option of turning down the temp?

Offlinepftek

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #10087552 - 04/01/09 02:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fltdriver82 said:

Once the rocker goes I turn down the heat so the rocker does not move just makes some noise.

So I have no idea what PSI that is. I have a presto and I don't think there is a gauge there. I would assume 14-15 psi.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10087554 - 04/01/09 02:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

What do you mean spawning and casing? I think you have one of those terms confused.

Spawning is breaking up the grains and inoculating bulk substrate with them. Casing is just a non-nutritious layer that gives moisture to the mushrooms as well as creates a micro-climate.

Busted seeds expose the starch, which just makes the bag easier to contaminate. If you're careful, it wont matter that much. But bacteria loves the starch.

Less busted seeds is always better, as it will not contaminate so easily.

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

#10087559 - 04/01/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

they might not be able to maintain 15psi without it up pretty high.
I could be wrong,just a guess.

--------------------

Offlinepftek

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: ABC]
    #10087567 - 04/01/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
What do you mean spawning and casing? I think you have one of those terms confused.

Spawning is breaking up the grains and inoculating bulk substrate with them. Casing is just a non-nutritious layer that gives moisture to the mushrooms as well as creates a micro-climate.

Busted seeds expose the starch, which just makes the bag easier to contaminate. If you're careful, it wont matter that much. But bacteria loves the starch.

Well the problem here is that some of the jars especially with higher % busted I can't seem to break it apart. Well it does a little but then it becomes like big chunks. Not like individual kernels. does that matter?

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Re: To the people who do WBS: busted seeds - too wet? Not dry enough? [Re: ABC]
    #10087572 - 04/01/09 02:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pftek said:
Quote:

fltdriver82 said:

Once the rocker goes I turn down the heat so the rocker does not move just makes some noise.

So I have no idea what PSI that is. I have a presto and I don't think there is a gauge there. I would assume 14-15 psi.

you want to know the psi...some cheaper models dont even reach 15.

Quote:

ABC said:

Quote:

ABC said:

you can case grain instead of spawning.You just fruit from the grain.

--------------------

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

#10087577 - 04/01/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pftek said:
Quote:

ABC said:

Well the problem here is that some of the jars especially with higher % busted I can't seem to break it apart. Well it does a little but then it becomes like big chunks. Not like individual kernels. does that matter?

if its like that id start over,ive had them work like that but they take longer and its more risky for contam's.

--------------------

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#10087584 - 04/01/09 02:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Try adding gypsum to your jars before pcing, it will help with clumping. If you don't have a gauge and don't know what weight rating your rocker is you may continue to have problems-not just clumping but also contams. Alot of smaller pc's will only reach 12psi before weight starts jiggling.

InvisibleGanja420Boy
Heroic Doser
 User Gallery

Loc: CoSmoS
    #10087606 - 04/01/09 02:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have had a whole quart jar of busted kernels just to see if it will still colonize. I left the jar alone for about a month and to my suprise it was fully colonized when I got around to checking on it.

So I dont think it will hurt to have a half an inch of busted seeds, just more of a hassle.

I think you need to dry your seed better before loading them into jars to solve this problem also if the tek requires a simmer just skip that step as this can cause alot of busted kernels if you arent careful.

Hope you can get it sorted out :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix