Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs
    #10079382 - 03/31/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Utah is repealing its "jaded and old fashioned" drinking prohibition laws in order to boost tourism and help fund schools. Another win for logic and libertarianism over moral puritanism! It seems there are other old fashioned laws on the books which need to be repealed, and I think we all know what they are. Politicians are starting to see our drug laws in the same fashion, and hopefully they will be able to move forward.
-----
Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs
31 March 2009 - BBC
Utah has eased its strict controls on public drinking by announcing the end of restrictions under which bars had to function like private clubs.

From 1 July, anyone wanting a strong drink in the largely Mormon state will no longer have to fill in a form and pay a fee in order to enter a bar.

It is hoped the move will attract more visitors to Utah, which has a tourist industry worth an annual $6bn (£4.2bn).

Some bar customers said they welcomed the end to Utah's "weird drinking law".

Under the new law, restaurants will be able to take down partitions separating bartenders from diners, meaning bartenders will soon be able to serve drinks directly over bar counters.

'Awesome step'

The changes to the liquor laws were signed off by Utah Governor Jon Huntsman.

"We made a little bit of history today," he said after signing the bill in The New Yorker, an upscale bar in central Salt Lake City, The Salt Lake Tribune reports.

In an article on the reform earlier this month, the New York Times noted that, under the old law, a membership card for a bar typically cost between $10 and $15.

"One of our economic pillars is travel and tourism," Mr Huntsman told the newspaper on that occasion.

"And if that's going to be hampered by these jaded and old-fashioned views, then that's going to impact the cash register and therefore our ability to fund the things that most citizens care deeply about, like our schools."

The Salt Lake Tribune asked customers for their reaction on Monday in a Salt Lake City bar called Murphy's.

"I think it's an awesome step in the right direction," Chris Holt told the newspaper.

"It's not going to be so much about Utah and its weird drinking law," said Amy Randall.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zion Highlands
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Green_T]
    #10079438 - 03/31/09 10:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I wish they would have raised the beer % instead. If they wanted to raise money then maybe they should take off the sunday dry county thing I know a gas station that makes over $2 mill a year just from utahns going and buying beer on sunday.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Green_T]
    #10079610 - 03/31/09 10:57 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If they really want to improve their state, they should start by getting rid of the crazy Mormons.

Offlineclover606
Stranger
Male
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Le_Canard]
    #10079892 - 03/31/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

"And if that's going to be hampered by these jaded and old-fashioned views, then that's going to impact the cash register and therefore our ability to fund the things that most citizens care deeply about, like our schools."

why does this logic have merit when reguarding something like alcohol, which is addictive, toxic, and totally useless for anything but getting fucked up, but marijuana is a whole other story.

--------------------
grassman said:

I remember being in DARE when i was much younger and some of the stories they would tell you are not only ridiculous, but completely untrue. One story was that a woman was on LSD and thought her infant was a turkey so she baked it in the oven. Now I look back and think thats hilarious, but at the time I guess it scared me.

OfflineOrgasmicBanana
aka "PICO"
Female User Gallery

Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: clover606]
    #10080473 - 03/31/09 01:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i was hoping they would raise the beer % too, i'm tired of driving to mesquite to get decent beer.

half the restaurants that open cant even get a liquor license.
the people here are insane. they will do the most immoral pointless ridiculous hateful things to continue feeling good about their stupid way of life.

they also mention the need for more money for schools too, which is bullshit. they waste so much money its ridiculous, and utah still has shitty schools. they dont need money for schools. they need to start using their brain more often, god wont think for you just because you go to church and pay tithing.

Edited by organicbanana (03/31/09 01:50 PM)

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Le_Canard]
    #10080530 - 03/31/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
If they really want to improve their state, they should start by getting rid of the crazy Mormons.

QFT

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: OrgasmicBanana]
    #10082955 - 03/31/09 07:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

organicbanana said:
i was hoping they would raise the beer % too, i'm tired of driving to mesquite to get decent beer.

half the restaurants that open cant even get a liquor license.
the people here are insane. they will do the most immoral pointless ridiculous hateful things to continue feeling good about their stupid way of life.

they also mention the need for more money for schools too, which is bullshit. they waste so much money its ridiculous, and utah still has shitty schools. they dont need money for schools. they need to start using their brain more often, god wont think for you just because you go to church and pay tithing.

I've lived in Utah the majority of my life and I'm tired of bootlegging in from Nevada to escape the liquor taxes on normal beer as well, except I go to Wendover instead of Mesquite.
I understand the culture here well and there is such a divide between mormon and non-mormons.  The majority of born and raised LDS people that I know here are taught not to think for themselves and it's mass heard mentality.  Many worship authority figures, republican polititians and church leaders mainly, and follow blindy what these two groups tell them to think about God, government, and society.  It's very frustrating to try to get people to think outside of the box here and I've pretty much given up on it.

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: mr.bixby]
    #10083229 - 03/31/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Some of the old regulations actually sound pretty classy to me :shocked:

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

OfflineTripp420
What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern Nevada
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #10084306 - 03/31/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

they're not so classy when you cant barely get drunk on a 6 pack....
everyone in salt lake drives to wendover to drink real beer and gamble....

--------------------

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
Re: Utah lifts 'weird' drinking curbs [Re: Tripp420]
    #10086553 - 04/01/09 11:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tripp420 said:
they're not so classy when you cant barely get drunk on a 6 pack....
everyone in salt lake drives to wendover to drink real beer and gamble....

Also not so classy drinking ten 3.2 beers to get a good buzz and having to piss every ten minutes to get rid of all the excess water while also having to purchase gatorade to rehydrate during this process.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale