Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Why can't I connect through my browser?
    #10083859 - 03/31/09 09:47 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Just brought my brothers computer home to use since he won't need it for a while and I can't get it to connect to the internet.

At first, the network connection kept saying it couldn't connect and it couldn't repair the connection because it couldn't renew the ip address.  It was set up to automatically detect setting and obtain ip and DNS automatically, but when I would check it, it had a ip that must have been from when he last had it online.  It wasn't remotely close to what my router would issue.  I finally had to go into network diagnostics and ended up putting the Windows DIsc and it rebuilt the network connections.  So now, it worked great and says I was connected.  IP addy matched the range I set for my router.

But I go to open IE and I get nothing, says I'm not connected to the internet.  Any ideas?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #10084494 - 03/31/09 11:31 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

go to the command prompt (window + run key, then type 'cmd' without quotes and press enter), and see if you can ping anything, using this command

ping www.google.com

or

ping www.shroomery.org

should get something similar to this output (mine is from linux terminal, but its similar in command prompt):

PING www.l.google.com (209.85.133.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from an-in-f104.google.com (209.85.133.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=56.0 ms
64 bytes from an-in-f104.google.com (209.85.133.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=57.4 ms
64 bytes from an-in-f104.google.com (209.85.133.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=238 time=56.8 ms
64 bytes from an-in-f104.google.com (209.85.133.104): icmp_seq=4 ttl=238 time=56.9 ms

If it doesn't return anything, and at the end says 100% packet loss, its because you are not connected, no matter what windows thinks...you can try and issue a:

ipconfig /release

then press enter, then try

ipconfig /renew

and press enter

and sometimes that will get you up and running again, if not, you could try to reinstall your NIC drivers...

peace

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: supra]
    #10084644 - 03/31/09 11:57 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

If I try to ping www.google.com or the shroomery.com it says, "Ping request could not find host www.google.com. ; Please check the name and try again."

But if I ping the ip address from your post (209.85.133.104), it gives me a message like yours.

Ipconfig commands did nothing.

I also tried skipping my router and going straight from the modem and get the same errors.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #10085254 - 04/01/09 03:53 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

You are using the wrong DNS servers. Look at the TCP/IP settings for your network adapter. Or open a command prompt and type "nslookup". That'll give you the standard DNS server used, which should be your router/bridge, because that's what queries the DNS servers of your provider and passes the information on to the clients in your network that are connected to it. Since you are already connected to the Internet and just can't resolve domain names, you can always "hardwire" the DNS settings into the card, by finding some DNS server close to you (the lists are on the Internet) and put its (or their, if you use more than one) IP address(es) into the DNS part of your NIC's TCP/IP settings.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10085336 - 04/01/09 04:39 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

>So now, it worked great and says I was connected.  IP addy matched the range I set for my router.

What about the DNS server & gateway? Do they point to the router?

If so, then your DNS should be working fine and pinging google.com should have worked. But it didn't... it's possible your hosts file is corrupted (spyware and the like). Go to Run and type in notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Does it look suspicious? There should only be a few entries like localhost. Google shouldn't be mentioned at all.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10086758 - 04/01/09 11:52 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

That didn't work either.  I added the DNS addresses that my router uses straight into the settings but still get the same problem.  I do think this has something to do with the problem though - since I was able to ping an IP address, I tried just typing that IP into the browser and it took me straight to Google.  I just can't connect by name to anything.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: zouden]
    #10086771 - 04/01/09 11:55 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

There is only one entry for the local host on that file.  They did point to the router though.  But like I said above, I changed them and still have the problem. 

It has to be something about this though, I just can't figure out what.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10087798 - 04/01/09 03:21 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Your computer's DNS setting shouldn't be the same as that of the router. It should be the router itself. Your router acts as a DNS server (and a gateway) so your computer should direct DNS requests to it.

One other thing: is Norton Internet Security (or something similar) installed?

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10087960 - 04/01/09 03:46 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

They were, but at the suggestion of the other poster, I tried entering them manually.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10088015 - 04/01/09 03:54 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

In a command prompt, type nslookup.
What's the default server and the address?
Now type google.com
What address does it return?

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10088293 - 04/01/09 04:38 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

The only thing installed like that was Adware Alert or something like that.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10088542 - 04/01/09 05:11 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Open a cmd window (start->run cmd)

1) type: ipconfig /all

find the gateway/router IP address for your connection.

2) ping 192.168.x.x

... replace the 192.168.x.x with the ip address for your gateway/router.  If you get no packets, then you do not have a good connection to the router.  Fix this first.  Once you can ping the router, proceed.

3) tracert -d 74.125.91.99

Unless there is a firewall in place, you should get a bunch of numbers and not a bunch of * * *.  This tells us that you are able to send traffic out of the router through the ISP.

If you get a bunch of * * * lines, try this instead:

telnet 74.125.91.103 80

If it connects, type GET, and hit enter a few times... you should get a bunch of HTML (error page) and a closed connection.

4) nslookup www.google.com

You should get a bunch of Name and Address lines back from your DNS server.  If you get some kind of error, then you have a DNS problem.

Let us know how far you get with the above.  Everything else is shooting in the dark hoping to figure out what is wrong.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10088686 - 04/01/09 05:31 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

If I have the DNS entered manually it says

Default Server: cns.cmc.co.denver.comcast.net
Address: 68.67.85.98 (which is what I entered)

Then,
google.com
Server:  cns.cmc.co.denver.comcast.net
Address: 68.67.85.98

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 209.85.171.100, 74.125.67.100, 74.125.45.100

If I set it back to get DNS automatically,

Default Server: DD-WRT
Address 192.168.1.1

Entering google.com returns the same thing

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (04/01/09 05:35 PM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: Seuss]
    #10088858 - 04/01/09 05:52 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

This is with everything set back to auto, no DNS manually entered.

2)  Pinged fine.

3)  Tracing route to 74.125.91.99 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1ms  <1ms  <1ms 192.168.1.1
    2 *    *    *    Request timed out
    3 - 20 all seem normal listing the times with various IP's

I went ahead and entered the telnet command as well and it did just as you said.

4)  Same as from above

One thing I noticed that I thought may be wrong though was when I typed ipconfig /all the first thing it returns is Windows IP Configuration and it lists

Node Type............Unknown
IP Routing Enabled...No
WINS Proxy Enable....No
DNS Suffix Search List....hsd1.tx.comcast.net

Should the IP routing table be disabled?

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (04/01/09 06:06 PM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10089022 - 04/01/09 06:11 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

I'm definitely connecting to the internet since I can reach a website by manually typing the IP address, but most of the links from that page do no work though some will.

I bet it ends up being something really simple, but there is no telling what my brother did with this thing.  He probably knows less about computers than anyone I know.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #10089591 - 04/01/09 07:30 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
I'm definitely connecting to the internet since I can reach a website by manually typing the IP address, but most of the links from that page do no work though some will.

I bet it ends up being something really simple, but there is no telling what my brother did with this thing.  He probably knows less about computers than anyone I know.

Thats because the DNS is not working (domain name system/servers/service) as others have stated...

OfflineabetterlieS
Dubstep.breakcore.explosion.soup
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: on the internets
Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: supra]
    #10090761 - 04/01/09 10:18 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

werd. just use 208.67.222.222 as your dns address and call it a day.

--------------------
"I'm gonna clear the air, with the metal that's known to divide the whole atmosphere, and I love to share, them bullets come dime a dozen I kept 2 so I could have spare."

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Why can't I connect through my browser? [Re: abetterlie]
    #10090965 - 04/01/09 10:46 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

I would love to to that.  But it no work.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10092287 - 04/02/09 04:31 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

But it sounds like your DNS is working, if nslookup correctly found google's addresses.

Though... hold on, so nslookup resolve's google's address, but ping google.com doesn't? The fuck?

I'm wondering if this is a corrupt tcp/ip stack, rather than just a simple setting.

Try this command to rebuild the stack:

netsh int ip reset c:\tcpiprebuild.log
You can check the logfile it creates in your c:\ for errors and stuff. You might have to restart your computer before it takes effect.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#10092881 - 04/02/09 08:37 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

tciprebuild.log is as follows

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{8E41A77B-93DA-45AA-8359-4F767EB1A99A}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{8E41A77B-93DA-45AA-8359-4F767EB1A99A}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{8E41A77B-93DA-45AA-8359-4F767EB1A99A}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
reset  SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{8E41A77B-93DA-45AA-8359-4F767EB1A99A}\NameServer
            old REG_SZ = 208.67.222.222

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableIcmpRedirect
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableSecurityFilters
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
reset  Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01ED1028&REV_02\4&DC268A3&0&3880.  bad value was:
            REG_MULTI_SZ =
                PSched

reset  Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000.  bad value was:
            REG_MULTI_SZ =
                PSched

<completed>

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale