Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Just set up my greenhouse ... * 1
    #9998523 - 03/18/09 11:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

..... Got my green house in, have 4 bags of lions mane colonizing as well as some reishi.

Also, I have black poplar, oyster, king oyster, enoki, and shiitake spawn colonizing.

I ended up buying a vicks v4500 from walgreens. The damn thing shuts off after a few minutes though because it has a sensor in it that shuts if off when it "thinks" its reached the proper humidity.

So Im going to return it tomorrow and buy a different one. Anyone use the relion's found at wally world?? I know it needs to be an impeller type.

The vicks V400 is to wide and takes up to much space inside the greenhouse so I dont want to go that route. Also, I like the coolmists that allow you to take the resevoir off while its running and fill it up. The V400 you have to take the lid off and bring a pitcher of water over ... kind of a pain in the ass if you ask me.

So what models are you guys using? Searching only gives the same old V400 recommendation over and over again ... Ild like to get one that has a resevoir as mentioned and that is a bit more streamlined than the V400.

Any suggestions?

Edited by OZZ (03/18/09 11:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just set up my greenhouse ... [Re: OZZ]
    #9998849 - 03/19/09 12:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Get one cheap from a thrift store... I found impeller types from $1.50-$4. They had some v400's but the other ones were cheaper.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Re: Just set up my greenhouse ... [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9999663 - 03/19/09 08:57 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
Get one cheap from a thrift store... I found impeller types from $1.50-$4. They had some v400's but the other ones were cheaper.

I second that.  I got mine for $3 at the thrift store and it works like new.

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: Just set up my greenhouse ... [Re: jjb007]
    #10003719 - 03/19/09 07:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OK guys .... so heres the deal.

I know that RR and MANY others say to use thrift store bought humidifiers. I know many use them. Ive tried to set up a greenhouse once before with those types and it never worked. Back then though I was piping in the mist.  Now Im placing the humidifier IN the greenhouse as most suggest.

So heres whats up with me. Maybe my atmosphere is drier than most. I dont know. I can tell you this. A VICKS V400 series DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH UUMPH!!

I bought one ....

Now ... I only have a 30 minute incriment timer, but it would take a full 30 minutes to get the greenhouse to jump from 79% RH to 85-88% or so. IF I kept the zippers all the way zipped it would get it up to 90% but there was no way it was going to be able to do that with zippers open for FAE or holes cut in the greenhouse. Again, I know many of you use them, but it didnt work for me. Also, I know many suppliment with an ultrasonic ... but I didnt want to do that, I only wanted one unit.

I also bought a relion as seen here:

It didnt work at all it was a WICKING TYPE, I missed that on the packaging. Both the Vicks V425 and the Relion will be returned tomorrow.

So earlier in this thread I was complaining about the Vicks V4500 right? Well its an expensive unit. Cost me $37.99 at walgreens. I dont care it was worth every penny. As I mentioned above, the problem with this unit is it has a sensor in it that shuts the unit off if it "thinks" the humidity is too high. The good thing is the unit is a raped ape of a humidifier. In 2 minutes it saturates the greenhouse and easily pushes air all the way to the top. MUCH more forceful than the V400 or similar.

So I did a little surgury. I disassembled the unit, and cut the power wires going into and out of the humidistate control, completely disabling it and bypassing it all together. I took awhile to figure out how to disassemble it without breaking it, but once I put it back together it is working perfectly! My humidity gauge is PEGGED inside of 4 minutes. It has 3 speeds and I was able to turn it all the way down to the lowest setting and still keep the humidity gauge pegged at 99%.

All you do is pop off the bottom cover, remove the neck. Then the trick is that the impeller WILL pop off of the axle, exposing screws that you can take off. It doesnt feel like it, but you just need to wedge your fingers underneath it on both sides and pull it off. Then disassemble it, remove all the covers exposing the controls and wires.

Dont worry about all the connections its pretty daunting at first. Theres only TWO wires going into the humidistate controller a BLACK and WHITE WIRE. Snip them both, strip a portion of each, and wire them together. The whole unit is wired that way so there is no worry. Its been running for a few hours now flawlessly!

Also, it has the detachable water tank like I wanted. Since it is designed this way, I can drill a hole in the top of the tank, and insert some PVC connections allowing me to connect a tube to a 5 gallon bucket to use as a larger water resevoir. I couldnt do that with the vicks V400 because it has a maximum fill line, just the way its designed.

But with the V4500 I CAN!

This thing has so much uumph I can do whatever I want with FAE. It could easily regulate a greenhouse three times this size.

I have four lions mane blocks colonizing as well as enoki, shiitake, black poplar, phenoix oyster, king oyster, and more reishi spawn colonizing this baby will soon be filled up with a plathora of EDIBLES.

Im pumped...

The lone reishi block looks happy :smile:

Just a little future oyster substrate waiting to be used....

...... and some aspen bedding mixed with sawdust waiting for pasturization:

Its SOOOO ON, let the games begin!  :wink:

Edited by OZZ (03/19/09 07:47 PM)

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
    #10079490 - 03/31/09 10:31 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Have an update OZZ?

:peace:
Roban

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: Just set up my greenhouse ... [Re: robanero]
    #10081463 - 03/31/09 04:22 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Ya I started a new thread ... sorry for the mix up.

Reishi block

Edited by OZZ (03/31/09 04:23 PM)

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
    #10082239 - 03/31/09 06:05 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

No prob.

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale