Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesqueakerpie
Heavyweight Champion

Loc: Limbic Region
White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He Can
    #10080411 - 03/31/09 01:38 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

The HuffingtonPost.com, one of the most visited political websites in the world, has just posted a version of my commentary online here. Please post your feedback to the Post, and make it clear that marijuana law reform must be part of the ‘progressive’ agenda.

If you thought President Barack Obama’s mocking response to the question of whether “taxing and regulating cannabis would raise revenue and reduce prohibition-associated violence” couldn’t be any worse, just listen to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs stumble below.

Kudos to the reporters who held the White House’s feet to the fire on this one. First, Gibbs is asked: “When the President said he doesn’t think that legalizing marijuana would give the economy a boost was he giving a political answer or an economic answer? Does he have numbers to back (his position) up?”

The pained expression on Gibbs’ face says it all as he mumbles that, in fact, he is aware of no economic analyses — as in zip, nada — that support the President’s dismissive position. Naturally, we have numerous credible economic reports proving just the opposite. Perhaps Mr. Gibbs would like to review them here, here, here, and here.

Minutes later, the White House Press Secretary appears even more desperate for a place to hide when a second reporter asked Gibbs to articulate the reasons why the President refuses to consider the issue. Gibbs’ response is priceless.

“Uh, he, he does not think that, uh, uh, that that is uh, uh, [pause] he opposes it, he doesn’t think that that’s the, the right plan for America.”

And there you have it. Wow. Such a vapid response wouldn’t cut it if Gibbs was a third-grader standing in front of his classroom, no less the Press Secretary to the White House!

Keep in mind, both Obama and his press secretary knew in advance that they were going to publicly respond the question of taxing and regulating cannabis. They had at least 24 hours to prepare an articulate, rational, and substantive response. And yet the best response they could come up with was snickers and “uh.”

--------------------
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"  - Adolf Hitler

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: squeakerpie]
    #10080535 - 03/31/09 01:56 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Sounds like he toked up before the conference. It's okay, Gibbs, I get a little tongue-tied when I'm high, too.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

Offlinegreenleafhigh
Unfit for a title
Male
Loc: Down South...The Deep Sou...
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: buddhabadger]
    #10080553 - 03/31/09 02:00 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Damn, I never relized how rued reporters are...

--------------------
Its All Good...No Worries

OfflineDrumfiend
Duke of Fiends
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: buddhabadger]
    #10080574 - 03/31/09 02:03 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

"I've lost control"

No kidding!

Hah, what a great interview. Arguments are getting weaker and weaker.

--------------------
"Your accountants are waiting in the West wing, sir."
  "Tell them I'm sick."
"Shan't have to lie. That refugee charity called..."
  "Write them a check."
"And the Committee for the Prevention of Obsessive Behavior in Middle-Aged Men?"
  "Write them a check."
"Very good, sir. Your sense of humor is as keen as ever, sir."

Offlinelibertyshroom
Turn up the silence

Loc: Inside of Emptyness
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: greenleafhigh]
    #10080600 - 03/31/09 02:06 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

They need to be to try and get good answers from politics.

They shouldn't be talking to this Gibbs guy they should be talking to Obama himself.

--------------------

"Trip to heave and ho, up down, to and fro"

We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom, but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where all the contradictions flow together.
    -Terrence McKenna           

OfflineDesertSolitaire
counting sand

Loc: Colorado Plateau
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: libertyshroom]
    #10080641 - 03/31/09 02:12 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

That one lady who asked why didn't Obama ignore the question...jesus man that pissed me off

--------------------
Signature.

OfflineIV123
Stranger

Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: libertyshroom]
    #10080689 - 03/31/09 02:19 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Wow...fucking wow.

"Dammit, you guys dont get to google this stuff to answer your questions"

if our government is using google to run our country then it is a sad day in America.  what happened to expert analysis and research?  This guy is a joke and did a poor job at trying to dodge everyones questions.

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: DesertSolitaire]
    #10080808 - 03/31/09 02:38 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I think its funny that they all think its funny...

5 years from now they are all going to feel like douchebags for laughing about the subject.guarantee it.

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

My Growlog with Redboy,Amazon,and Brazilian

Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: xswaveyx]
    #10080855 - 03/31/09 02:44 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

WOW this will definitely help legalization. the obvious lack of any reasoning against legalization shown in this video should make for
good news

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: golden1]
    #10080894 - 03/31/09 02:48 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Totally took this off norml.org main page.  Forgot to cite your source there, buddy.

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

Offlinesqueakerpie
Heavyweight Champion

Loc: Limbic Region
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: SolomonTheShaman]
    #10081017 - 03/31/09 03:07 PM (15 years, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

SolomonTheShaman said:
Totally took this off norml.org main page.  Forgot to cite your source there, buddy.

......oops...NORML

--------------------
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"  - Adolf Hitler

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He Can [Re: squeakerpie]
    #10081491 - 03/31/09 04:27 PM (15 years, 22 hours ago)

er, how feasible is this really?

i understand it should just be done, but I think before something was implemented you would have to set up the structure of taxing and regulating weed, how long would this take if they actually did it?

and wouldnt states still make it illegal?

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He Can [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #10081604 - 03/31/09 04:46 PM (15 years, 22 hours ago)

> and wouldnt states still make it illegal?

Some would, some wouldn't.  States like California, that are about to go bankrupt, would probably tax the hell out of it.  When other states see that it isn't hurting anybody to legalize, and they see all the tax revenue that they are losing out on, they will follow.  Even if some states don't, at least when it is at the state level, people can move to a state that suits their position (pro or con).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He Can [Re: Seuss]
    #10081820 - 03/31/09 05:10 PM (15 years, 21 hours ago)

Question #1: Obamas position on the legalization of marijuana

Answer: He opposes it

Question #2: WHY does the President oppose legalization?

Answer: Much jabbering and blubbering, "He opposes it."

Well done sir, well done.  Any sort of sound-minded president would shitcan this guy YESTERDAY.  I can see how he has trouble thinking of a legitimate reason, aside from bullshit political pressure / pleasing conservatives :wink:

P.S. Cannabischarlie, if marijuana were no longer illegal on a federal level, a good number of states would legalize+regulate it outright, and  the majority would likely follow soon after.  When the sky didn't come crashing down with dope smoking hoodlums raping wives and burning churches, all but the most backwards conservative states would decriminalize/legalize in some form.  As it stands, in all likelyhood the federal government would impose crippling sanctions upon and withdraw funding from a state that defied federal drug laws outright.

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

Edited by Dutchie3k (03/31/09 05:34 PM)

Offlinethirdeyeparable
Space Child
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He Can [Re: Seuss]
    #10081921 - 03/31/09 05:23 PM (15 years, 21 hours ago)

I was glad to see the reporters continued to press him for a real answer.  His responses would've given him an "F" in high school speech class, and it doesn't fly now.  That's all well and good that he believes the way he does, but obviously the country that he's the leader of wants an answer on this issue.

I'm glad to see we're slowly heading towards legalization, though.  They know they can't name-off the reasons they've used for years behind keeping it illegal, because we see right through them.  Both California and Massachusettes are heading that way, and a number of states have liberalized marijuana law in recent years.  I think it'll get to the point that the politicians will be way outnumbered and unable to defend their position.  A lot of people (both users & non-users) are of the opinion "what's so wrong with legalizing it?"  There's just way too much information available to the public showing why marijuana shouldn't be illegal.

*edit*  Now if my boss asks me about a new/hypothetical policy, I answer "I don't agree with it," and give the same answer when asked why, I may have to polish my resume...it doesn't work in the real world, Obama, get with the program!

--------------------
:jammingout: :jammingout:

“A good groove releases adrenaline in your body. You feel uplifted, you feel centered, you feel calm, you feel powerful. You feel that energy. That's what good drumming is all about.”  - Mickey Hart

Edited by thirdeyeparable (03/31/09 05:28 PM)

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: thirdeyeparable]
    #10082360 - 03/31/09 06:20 PM (15 years, 20 hours ago)

So we know he opposes it.  We don't know why, but he does.  Even though he has done it before, and could have gotten arrested for it back then, he still opposes it.  Great.

But does that mean he would veto a bill that came to his desk proposing it's legalization?  It feels like he doesn't actually oppose it but just doesn't feel going through the crazy amount of work it would take to actually get it legalized at this point, since there's so many other pressing issues going on right now such as the economy and health care. 

Not to say legalizing marijuana isn't important, and if he was smart he'd realize how helpful it's legalization would be to a lot of the problems we're having right now, but I feel like if a bill came across his desk, he wouldn't veto it.

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: libertaire]
    #10082429 - 03/31/09 06:27 PM (15 years, 20 hours ago)

Such is politics.  The tremendous amount of political pressure from within and outside a presidents party can easily overcome unopposable common sense...sadly.

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

OfflineSbstratAlchemist
Enthusiast

Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #10082897 - 03/31/09 07:29 PM (15 years, 19 hours ago)

Obviously I was disappointed when Obama came out against legalization last week.  I wasn't surprised though, and I didn't lose hope.

Obama doesn't want to be seen as spearheading the legalization movement.  However that doesn't mean he will fight it tooth and nail as the previous administration did.  When the public at large begins to demand it, he will likely come around.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Loc: Your computer screen
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: squeakerpie]
    #10083000 - 03/31/09 07:44 PM (15 years, 19 hours ago)

This is Obama's White House press secretar?  Is he retarded?  Shouldn't a press secretary be well versed in public speaking?

--------------------
No knowledge can be certain, if it is not based
upon mathematics or upon some other knowledge
which is itself based upon the mathematical
sciences.
  -Leonardo da Vinci (1425-1519)

Speak well of your enemies.  After all, you made them.

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: White House Press Secretary Tries To Defend Obama’s Opposition To Taxing And Regulating Pot — He [Re: pothead_bob]
    #10083299 - 03/31/09 08:32 PM (15 years, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

pothead_bob said:
This is Obama's White House press secretar?  Is he retarded?  Shouldn't a press secretary be well versed in public speaking?

I'll give Bush this much: Dana Perino knew how to handle the press corps.
She was pretty hot, too. Made the BS she was spouting a little easier to swallow.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale