Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineopenURmind
Stranger
perlite and vermiculite ?
    #1006820 - 10/30/02 02:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

hey i was wondering how well a vermiculite&Perlite mixture would be for a substrate, or am i better off with just vermiculite? thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShtoops
Wonka'sMycologist

Loc: Willy's Oompa Lab
Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: openURmind]
    #1006829 - 10/30/02 02:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I say just use vermiculite... Personally I would not use perlite.. I'm sure you would have some success if you used the mixture.. and if you want to experiment by all meens go for it....

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
    #1006849 - 10/30/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Verm has no noots, it is something used in addition to say BRF, dung, etc.

--------------------
Blaze

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: blazenaz]
    #1006868 - 10/30/02 02:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

he must mean casing, not substrate. don't put perlite in your casing mix. but really really don't put it in your substrate.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: Bilge]
    #1006875 - 10/30/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

maybe so... :smile:

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: blazenaz]
    #1007135 - 10/30/02 04:31 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, so far It had been impossible for me to find any coarse verm, so all I had was perlite. It works just find for substrate, but I cant compare it with verm so I cant say how much better verm is. But IT WORKS, and thats the point. As for a casing use, Im still kinda messing around to see which one is best for bottom and/or top layer.

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #1007252 - 10/30/02 05:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Perlite does very little to help a substrate, vermiculite is used because of it's water retaining qualities. Perlite is practically the opposite, in that it is good at evaporating water and not retaining it. The only thing you should be using perlite for is to humidify your fruiting chamber.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: StS]
    #1007281 - 10/30/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Not like that really freakin matters in a jar. I dont think that much water is gonna escape, especially not if u have them covered in anyway. If you have something that's holding water or something that's trying to push water into the air.. all in a closed container.. I really dont think its gonna make that much difference.. the water is still in there for the mycelium to use.

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Loc: Florida
Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1007313 - 10/30/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I could use 1/2 perlite and 1/2 verm to add bulk and more air spaces since my verm is too fine :frown:

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #1007323 - 10/30/02 05:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Your missing the idea of what vermiculite does. It absorbs water like a sponge and makes it available to the colonizing mycellium. Perlite acts like nothing more than small porous rocks, which is what it is. Trust me, use verm and not perlit.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: LSAuser]
    #1007489 - 10/30/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dont use fine vermiculite. its not porous enough. Mycelium will have a difficult time to grow through it. I would only use fine in small ratios if I need to get rid of it, or for patching up the first spots on a casing.

quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your missing the idea of what vermiculite does. It absorbs water like a sponge and makes it available to the colonizing mycellium. Perlite acts like nothing more than small porous rocks, which is what it is. Trust me, use verm and not perlit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually perlite soaks up water quite nicely. Notheless, I'm sure not as well as verm. but how much water do u really need. Maybe I'm just retarded. I dont doubt that you right. I'm just wondering if it makes THAT much of a difference that ppl make such a big deal out of it. Perlite has worked well for me, sometimes colonizing pint jars in around 8 days or so. O well maybe I will have to see it side by side. Back to the lab it is.

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

#1007505 - 10/30/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, think with me for a second, why do you use perlite in a terrarium, for humidification. Humidification is water in the air. Where does that water come from, the perlite, this is so because perlite give's moisture off. Verm soaks up moisture and keeps it there longer than perlite would. But you do what you want.

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: StS]
    #1007540 - 10/30/02 06:48 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think you can use a little perlite as the bottom layer in a casing. It sends humidity up into the substrate, and keeps it off the bottom of the pan so stuff can drain if nesc. I also don't want the substrate wasting too much time colonizing down below, and I think perlite is less friendly to the rhizomes than verm. But a lot of folks out there seem to be skipping that bottom layer anyway.

Then again, there's pockets of Pacific Islanders who believe that Tootie, of Facts of Life Fame, is god. So fut the wuck, ya' know?

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: vildechayea]
    #1007556 - 10/30/02 06:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, the bottom layer is not needed. The only time that I think I've seen a grow using perlite in the bottom layer is in a kit, I think the kit that Trip miester had a huge argument over had perlite in the bottom (speaking of TM, where has he been lately) used perlite in the bottom layer.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: perlite and vermiculite ? [Re: cheifdog24]
    #1007563 - 10/30/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I know that.. But if its In a JAR.. you know something that has little to no air exchange... ur not gonna have a notable water lose. That's why it works... the reason it doesnt work as well is because perlite cant soak up as much water as verm does. If u set cakes on perlite in a sealed container.. you will notice considerable more shrooms coming from the bottom of the cakes, even when the whole chamber is at hi humidity.. hmm I wonder why that is.... probably because perlite also soaks up some water. But like you said verm keeps the water their loinger.. how long are you gonna have a colonizing jar anyways. the jar, even with some holes in the lid, wont loose all its moisture for at least 3 or 4 months.

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

#1007581 - 10/30/02 06:59 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

True, I'm just saying why perlite is not anywhere near as good as verm to use in substrate.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate