Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineevolvingfucker
jesus was a jedi

Loc: Canada
jesus and shrooms
    #1005299 - 10/30/02 07:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but i thought you guys might find this link interesting...even though it shouldn't be a new theory to anyone...and the article's pretty short...

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/wireless_news.html?qdate=2002-10-30&nav=VIEW&id=5089GZM56L8021030

--------------------
"evolving from something better"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: evolvingfucker]
    #1005364 - 10/30/02 09:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Remaining Few - Painted Air

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1005811 - 10/30/02 12:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: World Spirit]
    #1005855 - 10/30/02 12:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

are you being close minded?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Offlineevolvingfucker
jesus was a jedi

Loc: Canada
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: World Spirit]
    #1007405 - 10/30/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

what's more likely, god on earth or shrooming philosophers?

--------------------
"evolving from something better"

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1007726 - 10/30/02 10:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Even within the disciplines of ethnobotany, or more accurately here, ethnomycology, one still has the lunatic fringe. Any God that is comprehensible to man is not God. The various attempts to apply altered states, no matter how exalted and expansive, to the interpretation of scriptural religion, is going to be a failure. This mind set is by some academic with no real knowledge of the history of religion, let alone Biblical theology. His writing will appeal to others with the same deficiencies.

Not only is the growth of Amanita Muscaria, with its relationship to the rhizomes of certain conifer and deciduous trees unlikely in and around Jerusalem (not noted for its forests, but its desert); it is also unlikely that mushrooms would have been considered Kosher from a Talmudic expansion of Levitical dietary laws. Furthermore, Jesus was not a Siberian shaman, nor was he a Vedic Hindu or a Norseman. First century Jews didn't eat Amanita Muscaria mushrooms.

The Last Supper was a Passover Seder, as well as the inauguration of a ritual that marked the beginning of a New Covenant with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Later Christians may have enjoined the use of entheogenic mushrooms to the ritual of the Eucharist (as is evidenced by certain mosaics of amanitas found in ancient basilicas); or by Mesoamericans; or by moderns (myself included) - but not by the Carpenter from Nazareth. All attempts to force such interpretations are just groundless attempts to force some understanding of spiritual Mysteries that are plumbed by the faculties of faith and prayer (even the faith and prayer of entheogenically-inebriated believers). Psychedelics are not behind the origin of Judaism or Christianity, plain and simple.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1007787 - 10/30/02 10:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

what religions did Judaism and Christianity stem from? where does religion all begin?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Edited by CleverName (10/30/02 10:21 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: CleverName]
    #1007894 - 10/30/02 10:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Christianity grew out of Judaism, and while Christianity is about the meaning of Christ, the 'religion' Christianity developed out of the letters of Paul, and the traditions that grew around his letters. Later, the authors of the Gospels - each with his own particular agenda, added to the literature. Read John Shelby Spong's 'Liberating the Gospels' for the best explanation of how the Christian scriptures really came about.

Judaism reaches back several thousand years and developed out of a Hebrew tribal experience of Deity - perhaps the first real monotheistic faith. Jesus sought to reform and reinterpret a Judaism that had lost touch with its origins, and become corrupt and controlled by the powerful priests of the day. It is unlikely that Jesus, the Jew, ever wanted to create a new religion, only a new covenental relationship to God that was more psychologically and spiritually involved with each human being, as opposed to a formerly collective, outwardly ritualistic and tribal cult of the temple. Jesus sought to universalize the exclusivistic Hebrew faith to include all people.

Different religions arise differently. There are different eras of human history with more or less developed psyches. There are differences in temperament: Eastern vs. Western, active vs. contemplative, extraverted vs. introverted, etc. There are 'high' and 'low' religious forms; historical, cosmic and acosmic religions which give nature different values. Generally speaking, the high religions posit the nature of Ultimate Reality, and derive the ideal Way of being human based upon this nature.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1008430 - 10/31/02 01:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Shrooms break down the ego. Jesus had no ego. He was just an enlightened dude; who liked to talk.

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #1008581 - 10/31/02 02:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There wasn't much evidence to support his theory.

Doesn't mean it DIDN'T happen, but doesn't mean it did, in my humble opinion.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1009166 - 10/31/02 06:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

isn't this much a rehashing of john allegro's old book _the sacred mushroom and the cross_ ??? by playing alphabet soup games (re-arranging consonants -- no vowels in hebrew :wink: ...) & punning & such, allegro "proved" that jesus was a code-word for an esoteric jewish psychedelic fertility cult... interesting, fringy speculation, but his fellow dead sea scroll scholars practically laughed him out of academe..
~
gordon wasson, on the other hand... :wink: ...
~
what jesus was trying to do within judaism (well, maybe...) was vaguely similar to what gautama was trying to do within hinduism... put access to "the divine" back within reach of the people...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (10/31/02 06:32 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: ]
    #1009336 - 10/31/02 07:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Of course Jesus had an ego. The ego is one's 'point-of-view,' and everyone's got one of those. What psychedelics do is break down one's ego-defenses, which are what seem to constrict our point-of-view, and, which, when dissolved, allows our ego out-of-the-cage of those defenses to assume new and perhaps 'higher' (more inclusive) vantage points.

Jesus was 'fully human, fully Divine" according to ancient and well-established theological doctrines. He possessed all that any human possesses - except (as the doctrine goes) sin. Of course, this HAS to be posited because the Christian doctrine of Original Sin necessitates a sinless Redeemer to save us.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1009741 - 10/31/02 11:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've though about this before.... interesting stuff :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinemirrorsaww
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: gnrm23]
    #1010126 - 10/31/02 02:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

allegro "proved" that jesus was a code-word for an esoteric jewish psychedelic fertility cult... interesting, fringy speculation, but his fellow dead sea scroll scholars practically laughed him out of academe..

Allegro is the only one of the original scholars who worked on the dead sea scrolls who deserves any respect imo. At least he published his translations within a reasonable time... it took decades for the others I believe.

I wouldn't agree with his mushroom theory. I don't think the world will ever understand A.Muscaria... to what degree it was used in early religion is now lost in time.

OfflineKemist
Soul ComponentsPrototype IssueM11983MF50 (x_x)

Loc: The Orgin
Re: jesus and shrooms [Re: Strumpling]
    #1010240 - 10/31/02 03:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well if jesus did have an ego he must of had a very flexible one at that ... must be a hop skip and away from having a "open mind".

--------------------
Rafa (x_X)

fuck a sig

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology