Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Tub Trouble Blues...
    #10044145 - 03/26/09 06:33 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Hey guys I recently built a 28 gallon FC just like this. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5292458#5292458

I got the fan running 5 min on low every 4 hours. And 12 feet of led rope light going 12/12.

Now the first problem i have is with it only keeping 90% humidity.(The hygrometer is calibrated and working right)
I think this is from it not getting enough air exchange.

The next, is that sometimes when i check the humidity it smells like shit. Which iam pretty sure is from the water in the perlite getting stale. Also i think this is from not enough air exchange.

Now this is what i have come up with from looking around on the site and wanted to see if you guys think this will solve my problems. I Will add a 30 gallon fish tank air pump and two bubble wands. I will lay the two bubble wands about 18in long, along the bottom of the tub. Then add enough water to submerge the wands. Iam concerned about having sitting water in my FC b/c of contams, but will the air flowing through the water keep it from getting stale? Next i will cover with 5 inches of soaked perlite. I will keep the air pump in the fan box to get filtered air pumped in. Then run the tubes into the tub via one of the PVC pipes stuffed with poly and then connect them to the wands. I will run the pump 24/7, along with the fan 5 min every 4 hours, unless you think otherwise. I got the idea from this tek. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1303334#Post1303334

I thought this would add more FAE sending more air into the tub and out the PVC holes, and raise the RH by having a continuiouse flow of air going up through the pearl. I also was wondering if you guys think the pump idea would work without water by just poking holes in the pump tubeing and running it along the bottom of the tub and not even use bubble wands? I was thinking this may dry the pearl out though? But im a noob so i have no clue!

Also do you think drilling some more 2 inch holes in the back of the tub stuffed with polyfill will help? If so how many and should i drill them up high or level with the pearl?

Thanks a ton for your time and help guys!:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: Noobey]
    #10044198 - 03/26/09 07:01 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I really dont understand why people waste there time with trying to make fruiting chambers like that work. When a simple shotgun fruiting chamber works.

That first thread you linked is 3 years old. Ive never seen something like that being used.

Get a tub, drill 1/4 inch holes in all sides, top and bottom too, 4-5 inches wet and drained perlite, sit it on shotglass's. Fill with cakes/trays and fluerescent above. 95%+ RH and natural FAE.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMycoMario
:D
 User Gallery

#10044322 - 03/26/09 07:56 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

That is a horrible fruiting chamber design. But if you built something like that rest assured you can modify those materials to make something that could feasibly work.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: MycoMario]
    #10044441 - 03/26/09 08:30 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I would build a shotty FC but it needs to be out in the open in order to get the proper FAE, thank you for the suggestion though. Iam not willing to just have it sitting out. People are in in out of my house while im at work. I liked this tubs discretness and if i can get the FAE good it should work. Any suggestions if what i said will work? I already have a shotty fc that i will be fruiting some yellow oysters in!

Thanks guys!

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10044488 - 03/26/09 08:48 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Every now and then I get the urge to fruit a small tub so I built a ghetto FC but it works great and it would be easy to modify it to fit your specialized needs.

Get a plastic tub, cut two 1" holes - one on each end around the middle.  Cut one extra 1" hole near the bottom.

If the tub isn't see-through, then flip it upside down and cut a 8x10 or so hole in the bottom and cover it with a piece of clear acrylic ($1.50 at home depot).  Secure it with tape or glue.

Put the lid down upside-down and put a few sheets of wet paper towel down.  Put your tray, or whatever it is you want to fruit on this and case it lightly - just enough to cover it. 

Make sure it gets proper light through the viewport. I have a desklamp with a 6500k cfl that I just set on top of it.

2x a day you mist through the 3rd hole without having to open it. Once a week replace the paper towels.

You won't have 99% humidity, but you should easily hold 80% without much work or effort and that's fine for a cased substrate and isn't low enough to dry out your fruits.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: Spongiform]
    #10044525 - 03/26/09 08:58 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Thats a great idea man im def gonna try that with a half pint cake or something sometime. But anyone know if what i suggested earlier could make my stealth tub work?

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044535 - 03/26/09 09:00 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I would do that but this tub i build can hole 3 decent size trays so id like to see if i can get it working before cutting out the PVC and trying another idea.

OfflineMycoMario
 User Gallery

#10044658 - 03/26/09 09:34 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

have you noticed that there is absolutely nothing raising your humidity level in there other than the moisture evaporating off of your substrate? (a process which with the fans blowing right on your substrate will exponentially increase)

that thing will never work. there are plenty of stealth teks. the simplest: fill an opaque tub with field capacity perlite and fan a couple times a day.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: MycoMario]
    #10044734 - 03/26/09 09:57 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Well it worked for tokey there has got to be a way to make this work!

"have you noticed that there is absolutely nothing raising your humidity level in there other than the moisture evaporating off of your substrate? (a process which with the fans blowing right on your substrate will exponentially increase)"

dont really understand what your saying there i dont have any substrate in my tub unless your refering the pearl. im just testing the tub.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044742 - 03/26/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

im not worried about it being automated i just thought the fan could give it some FAE while im at work!

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044754 - 03/26/09 10:01 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Any suggestions to modify it to make it work?

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #10044755 - 03/26/09 10:01 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Ugh.. blowing dry air into your FC with a computer fan. Just ugh.

Any air entering the FC must be directed to travel through water so it gets saturated with moisture. As in a Shotgun FC, the air travels through the perlite and wicks up moisture, and in the PmP the air is pumped through a layer of water and LECA.

By blowing dry air directly to your FC you will dry your substrate, lower the humidity too much and thus fuck up any potential for anything mushroomy growing in there...

If you want good FAE, build either a shotgun or a PmP and fan + mist it regularly.

If you want a (nearly) fully automated growing chamber, try a martha with a coolmist on timer hooked up. Or a monotub. Other than these designs, you will never escape the mandatory fanning & misting duties.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineMycoMario
 User Gallery

#10044822 - 03/26/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Noobey said:

"have you noticed that there is absolutely nothing raising your humidity level in there other than the moisture evaporating off of your substrate? (a process which with the fans blowing right on your substrate will exponentially increase)"

dont really understand what your saying there i dont have any substrate in my tub unless your refering the pearl. im just testing the tub.

you dont now, but you will, and when you do, it will dry out because your just blowing dry air onto it.

It's just a really poor design man, i can't really bother to get into the all the details as of why, but rest assured that box would make a better drying chamber than a fruiting chamber. as dead said, try out a PMP. i started with something similar years ago and got great results.

Offlinescifipirate
Jug Fuckler
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: dead]
    #10044827 - 03/26/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

yo yo yo dawg, I use the poor man's pod and it works great for me. I tried it with per lite but the bubbles carried the per lite up and made some awesome yet unneeded volcanoes. I switched to hydroton in my fish tank FC and I have a plastic bin FC that just has water, bubble wands, and a rack for my cakes to sit on. I made a clear top for the fish tank that has 2 little holes in it, I didn't put any holes in the plastic tub and it seems to be doing great (fat fruits G)

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: Tub Trouble Blues... [Re: dead]
    #10044855 - 03/26/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Hey dead do you think hooking up a 30 gal air pump hooked to two bubble wands layed across the bottom with just enough spring water to submerge the wands with the fan goin 5 min every 4 hrs will work? Then cover with soaked pearl? Only thing iam worried about in doing this is the water helping contams produce.

Thanks for the suggestions i had no idea that the dry air is bad.:thumbup:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10044901 - 03/26/09 10:24 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Noobey said:

What makes you so sure?  He lost interest in the hobby and moved on to other things shortly after posting that 'tek'.

Air exchange is the number 1 pinning trigger and also the number 1 contaminant prevention measure.  Fans dry out substrates and create eddys where parts of the area get no air at all and others get dried out from the wind.  I've yet to see an 'automated' terrarium that works, and I've been around this hobby for a long time.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044913 - 03/26/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

You think i could make a sucessful PmP with this tub if i take out pvc pipe but leave the holes stuffed with polyfil? And seal the fan hole up.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044934 - 03/26/09 10:29 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Right on RR your right as usual. Just trying to salvage this stupid tub! Plus id like to get a techniqe down with getting good FAE in a enclosed tub without the use of a shotty FC if its even possible.....

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10044951 - 03/26/09 10:34 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I dont see how anyone could lose interest in this hobby! There is so much different things you can do! LC, Spore Isolation, Making prints and syringes, cloning, agar work! Man i can't wait to learn those things! The way these things grow is VERY Fascinating! Your videos got me hooked RR and i know this will be a hobby for life!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds