Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Is it just me or
    #10044789 - 03/26/09 10:09 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

does almost nothing work like they say it will? Especially when it comes to physical and mental health issues.:shrug:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Is it just me or [Re: Icelander]
    #10044849 - 03/26/09 10:16 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

is it just me or is your post so vague as to be impossible to address?

Number of physical and mental health issues: 283,012

Number of 'they's: 6.2 billion.

6,200,000,000 * 283,012 = possible number of base responses discounting tangents

Number of OPs showing evidence of non-workage about any single combination: 0

Tony Tiger sez, "Grrrrrre-e-a-a-a-a-t thread!"

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers
    #10044861 - 03/26/09 10:18 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

It's usually a matter of convincing yourself it did work, or playing around with it to make it work similar to how you expected. Somethings do work right away and you really know it when they do. E.g. a large dose of salvia.

OfflineTheSeer
Stranger

#10044875 - 03/26/09 10:19 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I think expectation has alot to do with it

If you simply expect a helping hand then you get results (possibly just a placebo effect though) but then if you expect too much then you'll always be disappointed?

Its like setting yourslef up for the let down, because nothing can really  surpass your expectations

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Is it just me or [Re: Lakefingers]
    #10044888 - 03/26/09 10:22 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I've worked in the natural health industry for over twenty years. I tried just about everything and hardly ever noticed anything. Most people said this or that worked but I noticed that later they all came back to try something else. Placebo effect? I think yes.

Kava works. Psychedelics work. :thumbup:

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10044911 - 03/26/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Rat poison works! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTheSeer
Stranger

#10044917 - 03/26/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

The first time i tried spirulina & barley grass in some evian water i felt amazing, then i expected the same boost every time after that & got disappointed, now i wonder if its doing me any good at all taking all these superfoods  :shrug:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it just me or [Re: TheSeer]
    #10044937 - 03/26/09 10:30 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Super-foods are great if you have a deficiency. If you already have enough of a nutrient or micro-nutrient, no added effect will be forthcoming.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #10047698 - 03/26/09 05:44 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

does almost nothing work like they say it will? Especially when it comes to physical and mental health issues.

Depends on who the "they" is.  I've used the Internet extensively to heal myself from numerous diseases, sometimes the curative(s) was/were herbal.  That would include "professional" health researchers not on the take from either the medical industry or the food industry.  Peer-reviewed scholarly articles can be found by using Google Scholar search.

If your own mental or physical health cannot motivate you to research a cure, it is unlikely anything else will.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it just me or [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10047710 - 03/26/09 05:45 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

I will do the research as soon as I feel better.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Is it just me or [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10047767 - 03/26/09 05:51 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

That's a sick joke.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#10049218 - 03/26/09 09:11 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Quote:

does almost nothing work like they say it will? Especially when it comes to physical and mental health issues.

Depends on who the "they" is.  I've used the Internet extensively to heal myself from numerous diseases, sometimes the curative(s) was/were herbal.  That would include "professional" health researchers not on the take from either the medical industry or the food industry.  Peer-reviewed scholarly articles can be found by using Google Scholar search.

If your own mental or physical health cannot motivate you to research a cure, it is unlikely anything else will.

I spent over 20 years in the natural foods industry as a profession. I did research all right. Not that any of it worked in my case.

Actually I have finally gotten some results with Qi Gong relaxation exercises. The conclusion jibes with my conclusion that led me to leave the industry, that most disease is due to stress and the loss of the ability to deeply relax.

--------------------

Invisiblespyder
Stranger

Re: Is it just me or [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10049367 - 03/26/09 09:34 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I will do the research as soon as I feel better.

:hug:

Invisiblespyder
Stranger

#10049377 - 03/26/09 09:36 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Quote:

I spent over 20 years in the natural foods industry as a profession. I did research all right. Not that any of it worked in my case.

Actually I have finally gotten some results with Qi Gong relaxation exercises. The conclusion jibes with my conclusion that led me to leave the industry, that most disease is due to stress and the loss of the ability to deeply relax.

I think stress has been a big problem form me. I have been meditating and I an starting a tai chi class.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Is it just me or [Re: spyder]
    #10049410 - 03/26/09 09:41 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Check out Qi Gong ball standing posture. Once I was able to do it for twenty minutes a day things really started improving. Much more than most other things I've tried.

PM me if you like and I'll hook you up with the title of the, IMO, best book on the subject. At least that I've come across.

--------------------

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #10049518 - 03/26/09 09:52 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Really? I couldn't tell. I ate a bunch of kavalactones and I got nothing except a really numb mouth. Did you drink the fresh stuff that is mixed with the spit of virgins or what? I would try it again but it just didn't seem to do anything. :shrug:

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #10049536 - 03/26/09 09:53 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Qi gong is great! :thumbup:

Regarding the OP, belief in the product/idea is an important thing for its personal effectiveness. I sometimes wonder whether healthy scepticism prevents me from achieving the benefits others might claim they get from stuff.

Placebo effect, nocebo effect, is there an effect for just believing that something just won't work at all, or an effect from thinking it might/might not work?

A friend of mine wanted to do some energetic healing on me one time and I thought "ok, I want to see what it feels like", so I suspended my skepticism and shortly after she laid her hands on my back I started to feel some really strange yet pleasant sensations inside me. Kind of a shifting, warm buzzing feeling penetrating me. Then after noticing this for a while, I thought "but I could be just fooling myself that it's having an effect", and then the sensations stopped immediately and all I could feel was her hands on my back.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Is it just me or [Re: Mufungo]
    #10049577 - 03/26/09 09:58 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Interesting.:strokebeard:

The mind certainly is strange, that much I think we can all agree on! :grin:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Is it just me or [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #10049599 - 03/26/09 10:00 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

adjust said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Really? I couldn't tell. I ate a bunch of kavalactones and I got nothing except a really numb mouth. Did you drink the fresh stuff that is mixed with the spit of virgins or what? I would try it again but it just didn't seem to do anything. :shrug:

Try Kava King brand. I also used it when I was in the Fiji islands. Take good quality Kava on an empty stomach. Take higher doses until you get effect. I have actually tripped on the stuff. I took a lot however.

--------------------

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #10050900 - 03/27/09 01:52 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#10051464 - 03/27/09 06:10 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Quote:

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to cure or symptoms you're trying to alleviate.  I never used St. John's Wart for anything if you're talking about things like that.  There's a lot of snake oil out there, however, peer-reviewed medical journals have documented the effects of certain herbal remedies.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#10051696 - 03/27/09 07:59 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

peer-reviewed medical journals have documented the effects of certain herbal remedies.

That's what's so weird. Almost none of it works for me.:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #10056052 - 03/27/09 07:06 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Meditation works, nonjudgment works, nonattachment works, exercise works, clean food works.

Pills and tonics other effortless approaches don't usually work.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Is it just me or [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #10056285 - 03/27/09 07:38 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Ive been able to be rather healthy since studying biology and science and learning what it is that doctors could possibly know that lets them cure people because they sure as hell are not magicians.

dont take something because someone says it works. take it because you either know it does work or because there is some reason to think that it will work. It is possible that most herbal remedies are merely full of antioxidants and other such chemicals, which, with the added benefit of placebo-thinking, leads ultimately to health.
People take weird concoctions all over the world to get better.. i doubt people would believe the shaman or witchdoctor if they never actually healed anyone. So i recon placebo has played a role in keeping people healthy for a long time.
I think God counts as a placebo too because people often believe god will help them when they pray.. and their optimism about this can help them succeed, rather than divine intervention.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Is it just me or [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #10057042 - 03/27/09 09:28 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Meditation works, nonjudgment works, nonattachment works, exercise works, clean food works.

Pills and tonics other effortless approaches don't usually work.

All the free stuff works. Now ain't that interesting.;)

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #10063049 - 03/28/09 10:42 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

People...:facepalm:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale