Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleeasyskunkin

better verm casing or no casing ?
    #10025296 - 03/23/09 10:28 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Hi, so I have been looking everywhere for horticultural hydrated lime or calcium carbonate and can't find any, hydrated lime is not used here because the soil is already very alkaline and now you need a prescription to get calcium carbonate !!!!
So is it better to case my hpoo and coir trays with straight vermiculite or just fruit them uncased ?

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoldieman
On some other shit!

Loc: midwest
Re: better verm casing or no casing ? [Re: easyskunkin]
    #10025702 - 03/23/09 11:48 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

do it both ways and see what works best for you. some swear by verm, some swear by none it all. both methods work. if you can mantain high humidity with good fae, go uncased. if you think you might have a problem getting an optimal environment for pin formation, case w/ the verm.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: better verm casing or no casing ? [Re: goldieman]
    #10037153 - 03/25/09 05:25 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

right thank you goldieman, actually a friend just found me two kilos of calcium carbonate from a snail farm ! Apparently they feed calcium carbonate to snails which I didn't know. So I will go for a 50/50 casing with peat and verm. And by the way is it normal that the coir and hpoo substrate colonize much slower than the rye berries or did I do something wrong ? Like not enough/too much water (I followed RR's tek from the video but this hand pressing thing to check the field capacity is not so easy as it seems)? thanks

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: better verm casing or no casing ? [Re: easyskunkin]
    #10037201 - 03/25/09 05:57 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

coir should colinise just as quickly as other bulk substrates. Ideally it should colinise in about a week, depending on spawn ratio.

On the subject of casing. With bulk substrates casing is optional, alot of people say that coir performs best uncased. But you have to try yourself. The same goes with straight verm casing. You will get people say that its the worst choice of casing layer, while others swear by it.

Alternatively you can use wax paper. Scrunch it up then unscrunch it and lay over the surface of your sub. Replace every other day as it gets damp. This will keep RH high right at the surface to help stimulate pinning. Once pins have formed you can remove and fruit as normal.

Calcium carbonate, is that not reptile sand?? You can use a casing layer without it, be sure to pasturise your casing layer correctly. Though id recomend using it, its an improvemnt to the original 50/50 casing tek. Calcium carbonate ph balances the casing layer, making it less hospitable for contaminants.

If you can find jiffy mix, that is basicaly the 50/50+ already made.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: better verm casing or no casing ? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10038304 - 03/25/09 11:34 AM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Thanks veda sticks :thumbup:. I have various trays with different substrates for test, until now the straight hpoo one is colonizing faster (60/70% now at one week) than the straight coir and the two 50/50 hpoo/coir (all three of them 30/40%). I spawned on three layers with rye berries at a 1 to 4 ratio, with a depth of 12 to 15 centimeters (I think that's 5 to 6 inches). I will case one of the hpoo/coir and fruit the other one uncased and we'll see. Any idea of where to find wax paper ? What is it normally used for ?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate