Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineknellcast
he looka likaman
Reverse Foil Tek?
    #974783 - 10/19/02 12:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I came across someones(?) foil method.

"I quit using tape on my jar lids. I quit innoculating in my glovebox. No contams at all.
When you do up your jars, after loading, put a layer of foil over the jar (under the lid). Then screw on the lid.
Put second layer of foil over lid. After sterilizing, remove outer foil.
To innoculate, remove lid. Innoculate thru foil, place lid back on top of foil. I do this with no clean up beforehand, on my kitchen countertop.
I dont even spray lysol. I do alcohol my needles, and flame sterilise between jars. Hope this helps someone. It has cut my innoculation time by at least half also.
I do pull my syringes in the glovebox still, and do liquid teks in the box. Its nice to not have to be as picky with the innoculations. "

so basically 'jar/foil/lid/screw ring/foil', Then take the whole lid off to innoc. leaving the last foil layer on to protect during innoculation, Then put lid back on over foil.

My question is, durning steaming of the substrate to sterlize the substrate, if the foil is covering the top of the hole of the jar while the lid and band is screwed on durning the steaming, can the steam penatrate through the first layer of foil?

This seems like an great way of doing it, but my pet snake is worried about the steam getting to the substrate.

Anyone had success with this method via steaming?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCheeba
the shroomyqueen

Loc: atop my secret mountain
Re: Reverse Foil Tek? [Re: knellcast]
    #974892 - 10/19/02 01:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

My Iguana pretty much follows that procudure with the foil under the lid...but he presses down a small indentation in the foil with his paw and then puts a bit of vermiculite in the hollow. This (in his opinion) cuts down on contaminates. Others may see this step as 'extra' and 'unnessisary' but still, the iguana swears by it!!
Love, Cheeba

--------------------
Carpe Diem <*))))><
Theres one sweet whirld out there!!
Now remember, you are unique! Just like everybody else!

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

#1003507 - 10/29/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm thinking of trying this method, would I be correct in putting no holes in the lid at all?

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #1003524 - 10/29/02 03:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This has been brought up many times before. Foil under the lid is a waste of time unless you plan on keeping your sterilized jars sitting weeks before innoculating them. The best thing to do is just stick with a plain, half-inch or so thick layer of dry verm on top of your subtrate in the jars.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags