Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
novel approaches to bug control?
    #10026494 - 03/23/09 01:51 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

It's bug season again and I'm starting to sweat. I've already found a few fruit flies in the greenhouse but luckily no fungi gnats yet. Last summer we had to shut down our entire operation for two months because of gnat infestation, losing countless dollars.

I am very much considering the special bug machine in Stamet's equipment catalog, but at $250 I'd like to see if anyone has used it before and how it worked.

Aside from that does anyone else have any novel approaches to bug control? Something that would work on a large scale.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: novel approaches to bug control? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #10026555 - 03/23/09 02:01 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

For fruit flies what works really well is to leave a little beer in a bottle and put a funnel in the top as if you were about to refill it. 

The fruit flies go in and can't get out.  You change it for a new one every couple of days. Iwas really surprised how well this worked.

They are attracted to yeast and sour smells.

Of course, if they're not really fruit flies....?

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: novel approaches to bug control? [Re: Jef]
    #10026716 - 03/23/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

I wonder if BT would be useful with mushrooms.    If you google "bacillus thuringiensis mushrooms" a couple of promising leads come up.

--------------------

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#10026797 - 03/23/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

I suppose you're using large trays in open rooms.
If it was tubs I'd suggest a vacuum and a stick, smack to get them flying then suck them up. A couple times a day and you break the life cycle and they stop.
Pantyhose material makes a good gnat proof barrier. Put it over mono tub holes and seams.

For a large open room I'd consider putting each problem  tray in a container or bag and flooding it with co2.
Get a canister, dry ice or a fire extinguisher to make co2 or add vinegar to baking soda and siphon off the gas.
You may wish to experiment with your bug to see how long they take to expire. Remember to do it a few times over a couple days, you have to get the ones that hatch too and kill them before they breed.

I was stupid enough to leave a large bag of seed in my garage, turns out 40 pounds of seed = 40 pounds of mice pretty quick!
So I kicked snow up around the doors to seal them and turned on the car...came back a few hours later to a garage full of dead mice.
Pardon me....just puked a little bit...not everywhere, just up then right back down again.
DETACHED garage, don't try this with an attached garage, you'll get the big sleep if you do!

Anyway what I'm trying to say is gas the buggers, your shrooms will be ok with no oxygen for a bit but bugs have a harder time holding their breath.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

Loc: nunya
    #10028546 - 03/23/09 06:42 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

http://www.gilbertinc.com/ilthome.htm

i have used those before in food production facilities, and they work unbelievably well on flys and gnats.

--------------------
:greys:

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: novel approaches to bug control? [Re: greys]
    #10031025 - 03/24/09 03:13 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

gnats are cake compared to the AIDS of the insect pest world: See mites

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9598782/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag