Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

matsutake
    #1002488 - 10/29/02 06:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

would it be possible to grow matsutake in zone 5/6 area in new york state? i've read that developing mycelia in vitro is very doable... mushroom growth/production is dependent on a specific but wide enough group of trees... it's suggested that soil conditions need to be considered in the equation also... here in the US they grow seasonally on the west coast (zone 8/9) so it makes sense that seasons would be accordingly different.

can the symbiotic relationship between tree and mushroom be made easilly or is this something that should not be attempted? also, mycelial growth has been observed to be slow, the best production occuring at the leading edge... would it take forever to see the first flush?

i found some resources but was hoping that experienced growers could give an opinion on this idea... thanks in advance to anyone providing solid information... peace...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefungor
Old fart
Male
Loc: Norway
Re: matsutake [Re: Anonymous]
    #1002556 - 10/29/02 07:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am very interested in Matsutake cultivation (and hunting/picking for that matter). Keep me updated if you (or someone else) experiments with this! :smile: 

Anonymous

Re: matsutake [Re: fungor]
    #1009706 - 10/31/02 11:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

to get an idea of the value of this mushroom... the us government is cracking down on money generated and moving through the banking systems  :tongue:

http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/caledonia/organicgold?img=835

http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/caledonia/organicgold?sess_id=97887435167119935&key_id=244&img=843

the entire link itself is interesting... 

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #1010065 - 10/31/02 02:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms as currency....now there's an idea :wink:

Nice links.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Anonymous

Re: matsutake [Re: fungor]
    #1010694 - 10/31/02 05:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i just received an email from a gentlemen who has studied matsutake exclusively and offers start up services out of oregon state university... matsutake are difficult to cultivate even under the best lab conditions... nature works best with this one...

he's suggesting truffles, dependent on location and soil conditions... i think my zone 8-9 is too cold ground temperature and will have to consider other land... i'm waiting for a reply regarding ideal truffle zones...

growing in demand species seems like a good idea on the surface... i hope i can work all this out...

thanks everyone for looking... any mod can kill this thread...  :frown:  peace

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1016638 - 11/02/02 09:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i'm sure you've been here : matsiman.com
andy is a very cool guy who loves mushrooms.
i happen to know that there is a start-up company based in eugene that is selling doug-fir seedlings innoculated with tuber melanosporum. pm me if you are interested in his email, i will have to ask him first. very cool guy, though.
the north american truffling society has excellent info on growing truffles.
many, many acres have been planted in oregon with gibbosum and seperans.
i hope to harvest some this month.
matsutake cultivation seems mighty mighty complex, as it is dependent on a great numbers of associations with other fungi and bacteria.
good luck.
peace.

Anonymous

Re: matsutake [Re: viscid]
    #1016844 - 11/02/02 11:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

wow... u either read one of my other threads OR u and i are on the same page bro.... is his first name charles and is he associated with the university of oregon? he and i have been exchanging emails this week... truffles seem very promising... we are looking at, should say were looking at 8 acres in the cold brook area of new york state but after talking w/ him intend to look at land in the virginia to north carolina areas very soon... soil composition, canopy coverage and geographic considerations need to be met... BUT ... the criteria is much more easilly met. the economics behind it are quite amazing actually...

i was stunned...  :smile: species he works with sell for more then 3000.00 dollars per kg! and average yeilds per acre are around 70 - 80 kg's ... i realize it is not that simple and will require work but i've been seeking a change for some time now. this may play a role in that change

i have some obligations here where i live but i can get the ball rolling in the meantime... i need to learn more about ideal land requirements before we go... i understand the military has compiled soil conposition data in every state years back while searching for strategic mineral reserves... this data base information is available to the public and should make it a bit easier to narrow the best area's down...

i'm really upbeat about all of this... i hope u and i can bounce idea's off one another in the future about all of this...

let me know if my charles is your charles...  :cool:

take care and be cool...

ANY MODERATOR CAN  KILL THIS THREAD... IT'S ORIGINAL INTENT FLEW OUT THE WINDOW QUICKLY... THANK YOU

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1021890 - 11/04/02 07:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

damn, it seems like every post i made last night is gone.
charlie is the man.
you should employ me in your operation.
i need a job.
what are your plans?
peace. :laugh: 

Anonymous

Re: matsutake [Re: viscid]
    #1022204 - 11/04/02 09:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

first thing we need to do is locate the right type of land... i'm in the middle of other things here... family, operating a business and going to school to name a few... this is something i want to do... but by the same token past involvement in a popular coffee house, not so popular bar/restaurant, an organic food co-op have taught me that a solid business plan is essential in order to minimize our risk of failure... i want to know exactly what all the obstacles are up front and work through them systematically... my life experience is more mechanical... enviormental systems and related controls. i'm also certified in tig and stick welding... i've taken biology classes in college but i am not a mycologist... i am interested in mycology, but have alot more to learn...

this can be done following a plan... but the way i see it locating land conducive to the species is the first thing we need to do.... the second thing needed is a building that is safe and comfortable to live in and operate out of if one isn't already there... i honestly do not see myself at that point for at least another year... minimum... in the meantime i will continue to develope my hand at this... think about the nature of the task... i do not want to jump into this blindly... charles understands this and agree's... he is willing to work to help us pull this off... for ur head, i've already started the ball rolling involving land concerns...

let this thread die. we can communicate through pm's... does this make sense to u? peace

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #1022390 - 11/04/02 10:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

wow, i just made a post about truffels. I should have just came in here though 

I've given alot of thought to growing truffels as a main sorce of income for about a year and a half, on and off. Recently i've gotten back on top off the idea again. The biggest problem of course, is startup money. I'd have to buy land and the trees(thats alot of money) Tilling equipment and soil treament devices could be rented every few years from what i understand. A house/trailor on the property wouldnt be needed until about 5 years after the project begins and the trees start producing. Same thing for truffel dogs.

The amount of money you can potentially make with about 10 acres is amazing. It's something you wanna check out all the angles of though, to see if it's to good to be true. I've talked to the local truffel bigshot here in NC(BTW, hes also the most succesful truffel grower in North America as far as black diamond truffels) and he says the climate is perfect in this state. He sells the seedlings for the trees in two different species, and says his trees average 75 pounds per acre once production kicks off.

Right now i'm saving up money and trying to figure out ways to get more money as quick as i can, since my goal(which is realistic if i get the the trees started soon) is to be a millionare by the time i'm 30.

Anyway, if you're looking for a good place to grow black diamonds(the most valuble sort of truffel) NC is prime real estate. The white truffels flourish in more northernly areas(oregon for instance) they arent as valuble though. Let me know if you want the link to the guy in NC

BTW, heres a pretty cool truffel story i have. About a year and a half ago, maybe a little more, I discovered truffels and how much they were worth. I started researching them and how to grow them using the computer for info. As i was going through search engine entries, i stumbled upon a neat little site called "The Shroomery"  :laugh:  So thats how i found this place  :grin: although i fucked around in the chat room periodiclly for awhile, i didn't register on the boards till jan 02 though. Anyway, i just thought that would be a cool thing to mention.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Anonymous

#1023334 - 11/05/02 06:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i pm'ed u...

how can i have a thread closed?

:wink: 

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #1024991 - 11/05/02 06:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You could always ask me to close the thread...me being the moderator of this forum and all ;-)

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms