Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineScukels
Stranger

Some general questions
    #10019823 - 03/22/09 01:31 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I'm about to start my first grow, and I had a few general questions.

First, I was wondering if it was a bad idea to try and grow different species simultaneously, in the same container. I plan to inoculate a large set of jars and then place them all in a single terrarium. I wanted to try having a few species, but if this is a bad idea, then I could use different containers to place the cakes in once they're ready.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for sterilizing jars, without a pressure cooker.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
Re: Some general questions [Re: Scukels]
    #10019861 - 03/22/09 01:37 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

If your going to grow different species, make sure they share similar growing conditions. You'll be fine growing them in the same fruiting chamber, prolly not in the same container.
  You can use fractional sterilization with the PF tek, but if you're going to use grains, or any other bulk, you'll need a PC (pressure cooker) to kill the endospores and perform a more thorough sterilization.
  Fractional sterilizations involves you placing the jars in a covered pot of boiling water for a few hours.
    Use the search engine to try and answer your questions before posting again, it helps keep the site clean.
Good luck on your grow!
myk

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

Re: Some general questions [Re: Mykologist]
    #10019886 - 03/22/09 01:44 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Mykologist said:
If your going to grow different species, make sure they share similar growing conditions. You'll be fine growing them in the same fruiting chamber, prolly not in the same container.
  You can use fractional sterilization with the PF tek, but if you're going to use grains, or any other bulk, you'll need a PC (pressure cooker) to kill the endospores and perform a more thorough sterilization.
  Fractional sterilizations involves you placing the jars in a covered pot of boiling water for a few hours.
    Use the search engine to try and answer your questions before posting again, it helps keep the site clean.
Good luck on your grow!
myk

:thumbup:
The only thing I have to add is:  With PF you can steam sterilize, you don't want them sitting in the water.  Also, you need a tight fitting lid because you want the steam as hot as possible.  You can use jar lids and foil, or I used cut up pop cans to elevate the containers out of the water.

There are teks for fractional sterilization of grains, and also some fermentation teks.  They have been shot down, but they might work if you want to take the chance.  A PC is the best way to go if you want to be sure.

Check the teks in the drop down menu at the top, some may be outdated though so be careful and ask questions if you have to.

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: RedDevil420]
    #10024307 - 03/23/09 03:42 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

At what point can the mushrooms be considered safe from contamination? Once a mushroom starts growing, without mutation or infection, will it remain safe? Or should I be as careful during the fruiting and drying as I am going to be during the inoculation and preparation stages?

Thanks, in advance!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10024634 - 03/23/09 06:36 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

First off, ignore fractional sterilisation. Steam sterilsation is not fractional.

Fractional sterilisation is an iffy method used to sterilise grains without a PC and involves steaming, then leaving for a period of time, then steaming again and repeating several times. The theory being that each steaming cycle will atleast hatch hardy endospores making them susceptable to steaming.

For the pf tek, steam sterilisation works fine. 90 minutes keeping the jars out of the water, in a pot with a tight fitting lid.

If this is your first grow, then stick with cubensis, which is the easiest species to grow.

Other species are much harder. Also other species will require different growing conditions than cubensis so its generaly better to have different fruiting chambers for each species.

If you know 2 species that grow in similar conditions then i dont see why it wouldnt work, however effect prints that you take. You might get one species drop spores on another species of mushroom when you take a spore print, you could end up with spores mixed up.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10024675 - 03/23/09 07:01 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Scukels said:
I'm about to start my first grow, and I had a few general questions.

First, I was wondering if it was a bad idea to try and grow different species simultaneously, in the same container. I plan to inoculate a large set of jars and then place them all in a single terrarium. I wanted to try having a few species, but if this is a bad idea, then I could use different containers to place the cakes in once they're ready.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for sterilizing jars, without a pressure cooker.

Thanks for any and all advice!

I think that you may mean different strains, if that is the case, yes you can grow different strains right next to each other with no problems. You really want to get a pc, some folks will tell you to steam your jars, but if you plan on doing this, you are going to need a pc at some point, might as well get one now.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: george castanza]
    #10036368 - 03/24/09 11:23 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:

You really want to get a pc, some folks will tell you to steam your jars, but if you plan on doing this, you are going to need a pc at some point, might as well get one now.

Damn it, you've convinced me.

Another question that I couldn't find an answer for is; does the fruiting chamber have to be extremely airtight to maintain the humidity? Or would something like a plastic Tupperware container with latches be enough to hold it in? I plan to have a couple inches of Perlite at the bottom.

Thanks to everyone who's responding. Much love.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10037791 - 03/25/09 09:57 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

never put the mycelium in something airtight.  if there aren't holes it won't grow but contams will.  When fruiting, it need FAE.  That means at least a bunch of holes stuffed with polyfill.

you are doing cakes, so check out the shotgun tek Clicky

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

OfflineMrIzzy11B
Male

Loc: Dallas, Texas Flag
    #10037881 - 03/25/09 10:19 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

the plastic totes work thats what i have been using the last couple years with out a problem i dont put holes in mine i just take the lid of and fan it a few times a day. as for the pressure cooker you dont have to have one i steam all of mine and have yet to have one that did not work. In my opinion the pressure cooker is out dated and is not a must have there are many safer ways of doing the steralization process with out the use of a PC good luck to ya

OfflineSethTheGreat
Pot Snob
 User Gallery

Loc: my computer...duhhh
Re: Some general questions [Re: MrIzzy11B]
    #10038118 - 03/25/09 11:07 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

does the fruiting chamber have to be extremely airtight to maintain the humidity?

not at all
Check the shotgun terrarium out
Great results!
http://www.shroomery.org/10254/PF-TEK-Update-The-Shotgun-Terrarium

--------------------
HazeTiger SharkKushBuddah

OfflineSethTheGreat
Pot Snob
 User Gallery

Re: Some general questions [Re: SethTheGreat]
    #10038136 - 03/25/09 11:10 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

without a pressure cooker.

check all these Vids out as well,
very helpful and step by step
No pressure cooker required
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

--------------------

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10039418 - 03/25/09 02:56 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks for those links, the BRF tec video is very similar to the method I had planned out.

His dunk and roll technique was new to me. Soaking the cakes under water, once fully colonized is suggested? What is the reasoning for that?

Thanks!!

OfflineSethTheGreat
Pot Snob
 User Gallery

#10039765 - 03/25/09 03:45 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Soaking the cakes under water, once fully colonized is suggested? What is the reasoning for that?

It will rehydrate the cake
Mushrooms are 90 percent water, and the mycellium uses up water when colonizing.
This will help produse more fruits, but again, is not required.

--------------------

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10076869 - 03/30/09 09:05 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

Alrighty! My syringes are on their way, and the verm. came today. I'm so excited.

I have been trying to figure out the best location for incubation, and I found this large cardboard box in my closet. I read in several locations on the forum that jars incubate fine in room temperature, on a closet shelf, with little to moderate light. I rigged up the cardboard box to have a flap in the front, and I punctured a few holes in it to let some light it.

Tell me what you think.

Also, I'm trying to monitor the temp. in advance to see if it fluctuates a lot. At night, it's sitting around 73. Is this too low?

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10079468 - 03/31/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

You can just put them behind something. They don't need light unless you are fruiting, although it won't hurt them.

but yeah, looks good!  Good luck buddy, happy growing :super:

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10079486 - 03/31/09 10:30 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Scukels said:
Thanks for those links, the BRF tec video is very similar to the method I had planned out.

His dunk and roll technique was new to me. Soaking the cakes under water, once fully colonized is suggested? What is the reasoning for that?

Thanks!!

Yep, this is all you need:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Get off the ground with RR's videos. Once you get some success, you'll be ready to branch out to other teks :yesnod::thumbup:

You're on the right track.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10079500 - 03/31/09 10:33 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Your box will be fine if you want to keep them out of site.

The dunk and roll is highly recomended, especially if you use a slightly dry pf mix which i also recomend. The 2:1:1 ratio is a guide and doesnt always work out depending on what grade of verm you use.

Mix your verm with water, using a little less than is recomended check it. Pick up some verm and give it a firm squeeze, a few drops is ok, a stream is a little too wet. If its too wet you can add a little more verm. Then mix in your flour and mix well.

Load lightly into your jars. Once your jars are loaded it should like kinda dry thats ok. The drier mix will colinise faster. Then after colinisation and a week consolidation you dunk for 24 hours to give your cakes as much water as they can hold to support a good flush.

Good luck.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10081824 - 03/31/09 05:11 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I love and hate how all this makes perfect sense. It seems so simple, yet I always feel so noob! I'm excited to get these rollin! Thanks for all the advice. I'll prolly be posting more questions here as soon as I think of them.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10091544 - 04/02/09 12:09 AM (15 years, 1 hour ago)

What are some opinions on the strains B+, Hawaiian, and Z-Strain?
Do they have similar fruiting conditions? I couldn't find much info on Z-Strain. Maybe I just need to get better with the search tool.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10126700 - 04/07/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, so earlier today, I shot up 10 jars. I put micropore over all the holes in my jars, and I was wondering if I should re-tape them, after they're pieced by the needle.

I'm hopefully going to have another 14 jars done tonight, and 6 more tomorrow. (I need more jars!!!) Here we..... goooooo!

OfflineAmsu Jackal
Urcan Refugee
 User Gallery

#10127457 - 04/07/09 11:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Scukels said:
Ok, so earlier today, I shot up 10 jars.

Careful. i hear mainlining myc will burn holes in your brain :smile:  :gethigh:

--------------------
Perfect calm is the sensation of pure awareness.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: Amsu Jackal]
    #10140203 - 04/10/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If these holes bring me closer to my unbiased self, then bring em on.

Offlineoptions
Stranger

#10140781 - 04/10/09 04:45 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Scukels said:
Ok, so earlier today, I shot up 10 jars. I put micropore over all the holes in my jars, and I was wondering if I should re-tape them, after they're pieced by the needle.

I'm hopefully going to have another 14 jars done tonight, and 6 more tomorrow. (I need more jars!!!) Here we..... goooooo!

Granted, it's a bit delayed, but you usually want to leave your holes untaped as it allows for gas exchange.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: options]
    #10140903 - 04/10/09 06:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I put the tape on directly after filling the jars with the substrate. So when I inoculated the jars, I poked holes through the tape with a syringe. I'm pretty sure the gas exchange is not being effected, but I may be wrong. If you think I should peel the tape back, I could... but I don't want to take chances with contams.

Offlineoptions
Stranger

#10141054 - 04/10/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Usually the dry vermiculite layer will take care of the contams from what I've read.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: options]
    #10171754 - 04/15/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

20 jars total. About 1cc / jar. 10 are Z-Strain, and the other 10 are B+.
It's been 7 days (Z) for half, and 8 days (B+) for the other, and there is no signs of growth. I don't want to get nervous yet, but I can't help it! How long is too long? When do I consider my jar's dead? I maintain the air temperature to sit between 73 and 80. For a short time, they sat around 68 degree air temperature. Perhaps, they're acting a little bit slower, because my temp hasn't been sitting on the higher end? Any input would be great.

Edited by Scukels (04/15/09 01:52 PM)

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #10171798 - 04/15/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

sit tight, 7 8 days nothing to wait, can take longer. all sounds well.

--------------------

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10171810 - 04/15/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

try to keep em 70 to about 75 F as its a few degrees hotter inside the jar of course. 80 is pushing it a bit, more risk of contamination.

--------------------

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10173549 - 04/15/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reassurance, and advice.

On a sidenote, I got an analog hygrometer in the mail today.
Hellzya.

Edited by Scukels (04/15/09 07:15 PM)

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10191471 - 04/18/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

YES!
This morning I woke up to a little white fuzzy splotch on the side of a jar!
This is very encouraging. It looks like Myc. Is this the most important time to watch for contams?

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10191523 - 04/18/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

just check them all every couple days, contams can show at any time

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Offlineriosricky
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal ^
    #10191541 - 04/18/09 06:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if its contaminated it should show green, yellow, bad odor shi like dat. if you see something your not sure about post a pic to get people advice on what it might be.  But for now just leave the jars alone and check on them once every weekend.

--------------------

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: riosricky]
    #10192373 - 04/18/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I will restrict my sense of curiosity. It's for the better.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10192496 - 04/18/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, but during the first week i usually keep watch on them.  it can show up quickly and it's less mess if you catch it earlier.

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10211680 - 04/22/09 01:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

One jar (it's sitting toward the front of the cardboard container I made) has shown a fair amount more growth than any of the other jars.
I hope the others catch up! Is this normal for jars to be off a little?

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10212163 - 04/22/09 05:47 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Scukels said:
One jar (it's sitting toward the front of the cardboard container I made) has shown a fair amount more growth than any of the other jars.
I hope the others catch up! Is this normal for jars to be off a little?

yep thats normal.  the faster one has better genetics most likely.

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

OfflineScukels
Stranger

#10217760 - 04/23/09 01:08 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Bwahahaha!
Basically all my jars are now showing signs of life!
Infection free, too.
Some are looking really really good.
I'm so excited. The shroomery is the best effin' forum ever.

Question, I know syringes are BEST used right away... about how long can the spores remain dormant, before being useless?

Edited by Scukels (04/23/09 01:08 AM)

OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

#10217977 - 04/23/09 02:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I've had a few syringes in a mini fridge for the past couple months, and I used one to knock up some grains about a week ago and they're still good... But I've seen ppl on this forum say they stored them for much longer time periods. Years even... I'm sure you would lose some spores, but I wouldn't doubt it would still be viable.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

OfflineScukels
Stranger

Re: Some general questions [Re: ChrisWho]
    #10250228 - 04/28/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:smirk:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale