Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAmericanPsycho
Abomination of Nature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandy SR2 Flag
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: MysticMushy]
    #10022317 - 03/22/09 07:49 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

MysticMushy said:
My problem is that christans look at their beliefs as "true" instead of beliefs. Im an atheist, im not saying im right or wrong, but for someone to say that im wrong and will burn in hell for it, just isnt right.

You know there's actually 2 parts to evolution in the scientific community.  One part is claimed as fact that we did evolve (evidence from fossil record).  The other part is theory on the mechanism for evolution.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: MysticMushy]
    #10022503 - 03/22/09 08:15 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah, I get that. And Christ, along with the bible speak in those very terms. In fact, one certain scripture says that our work is "to believe in Christ and the One who sent him.

Trying to convince somebody to believe ANYTHING is pretty much farting in the wind, much less about something so deeply personal and complex.

And BTW, the idea of eternal hell is unscriptural and flies in the face of everything Christ taught. Not to mention that only one school of Christian thought ever believed in anything other than universal salvation for the first 6 or 7 hundred years after Christ's death, and that was of course Rome.

All I can say to all who are not of the Christian faith, is please forgive those who do these things to you. It's not of God, and nowhere does the teaching of Christ or of the apostles teach to do such things.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

OfflineMysticMushy
Studying Stoner
Male

Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: whattheheck]
    #10022564 - 03/22/09 08:21 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:
Yeah, I get that. And Christ, along with the bible speak in those very terms. In fact, one certain scripture says that our work is "to believe in Christ and the One who sent him.

Trying to convince somebody to believe ANYTHING is pretty much farting in the wind, much less about something so deeply personal and complex.

And BTW, the idea of eternal hell is unscriptural and flies in the face of everything Christ taught. Not to mention that only one school of Christian thought ever believed in anything other than universal salvation for the first 6 or 7 hundred years after Christ's death, and that was of course Rome.

All I can say to all who are not of the Christian faith, is please forgive those who do these things to you. It's not of God, and nowhere does the teaching of Christ or of the apostles teach to do such things.

I have nothing against christians or religion, its just not what i believe. Different strokes for different folks.

Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

Loc: Donkey Kong Kill Screen
    #10022600 - 03/22/09 08:26 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

now if they wanted to make a really entertaining reality show, they'd mix up a Jewish family and a Muslim family.  :popcorn:

InvisibleDR. PRIME
Mental M.D.

Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: Coaster]
    #10022654 - 03/22/09 08:35 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
I'm tolerant
and i no most christians are
i just wanted to show how strong they can believe in something that it makes them oppress us
like that little girl who had a cross drawn on her face

This is a rather ignorant example to show how atheists are oppressed don't you think? I mean, that's kind of pathetic. Any clear-minded, mature individual would realize little kids will find anything to make fun of each other for. So in this case it happens to be religion. To assume that either of the children involved can fully understand their position on reality at age 10 is pretty foolish if you ask me. Most adults can't even fully describe what they believe and why, at least objectively. How can you expect a child to? And then go as far as to turn around and use it as an argument to show how you've been 'oppressed'? That's ridiculous.

Quote:

mycelismymind said:
tell me, what do atheist 'endorse' exactly?

Sexually 'immoral' behavior - One could argue that endorsing it is more likely to cause unplanned pregnancies, the spread of STDs, and marital/relational problems. Christians want to protect their children from that reality so their children can enjoy life to the fullest without the chance of being ensnared with sexual guilt and pain their whole lives. Also, monogamy is the belief of Christians and anything endorsing homosexuality is rightfully detestable to a Christian. Even without their doctrine, if purpose is real, humans are obviously 'supposed' to be together, male and female only.

Chaos theory - This is potentially harmful to a community that bases its moral structure off purpose and hope. To maintain such a view would mean that there is no such thing as right and wrong and that there is no/shouldn't be consequences for each and every action/choice in life; Which Einstein clearly shows us would be against one of the most basic principles of physics. Christians are against any sort of idea that promotes the possibility of anarchy and lack of order. In a Christian moral perspective, this idea threatens the foundation for raising children up into mature, loving, and successful adults.

--------------------

Edited by DR. PRIME (03/22/09 08:46 PM)

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: DR. PRIME]
    #10022694 - 03/22/09 08:44 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Edited by sandman_130 (03/22/09 08:45 PM)

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#10022720 - 03/22/09 08:49 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

MysticMushy said:
Quote:

whattheheck said:

I have nothing against christians or religion, its just not what i believe. Different strokes for different folks.

And that's totally cool. I don't look down on you one bit, and I simply ask for the same. I'm told that by a person's fruit, I would know who is of God. Ironically, I've met some really Godly people who don't even believe in Him. :grin:

Peace.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

OfflineCMACD
The Sto)))ve
Male User Gallery

Loc: too scared Flag
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: DragonChaser]
    #10023450 - 03/22/09 11:23 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

alternatereality said:
Christian people that are intolerant of other people's beliefs (or disbelief) bother me. I think religion in general is a pretty ridiculous idea

As DragonChaser mentioned, it's not just christians, the
creation of this very thread shows the intolerance of atheists
and regardless of how one wants to define it, atheism is a
religious belief system, the belief that there is no god
requires as much faith as the belief that there is one and
there;s fundamentalists in every belief system

Thanks Pris.

Religion is not the problem, religion is just an idea.  Its people that are ultimately the problem.

Its made blatantly clear when people try to throw out the idea of religion, but then prove they are still just as judgmental and bigoted as the people they claim to be better than.

People aren't the problem. The irrational ideas(many of which R religious LOLOL) that poison their minds are the problems.

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: CMACD]
    #10023725 - 03/23/09 12:22 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

You lack understanding. What are you trying to say? That without religion, people would be "healthy". What would that look like? And how do you account for the hundreds of thousands of testimonies ranging from Sir Issac Newton to  Abraham Lincoln to Gandhi to Martin Luther King Jr who readily offered that their faith was a guiding force and bedrock of their lives?

And by your theory, people are not to blame, but it is rather the influence of outside agencies that corrupt them? So in your book people aren't the problem, guns are? People aren't the problem, alcohol is? People aren't the problem, cars are?

So the irrational drunk guy driving 65 the wrong way on the interstate shooting at people isn't problem, it's the booze and the car and the makers or small arms who are to blame?

Help a guy out. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: DR. PRIME]
    #10024414 - 03/23/09 04:29 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

ScYiNs47 said:
Sexually 'immoral' behavior - One could argue that endorsing it is more likely to cause unplanned pregnancies, the spread of STDs, and marital/relational problems. Christians want to protect their children from that reality so their children can enjoy life to the fullest without the chance of being ensnared with sexual guilt and pain their whole lives. Also, monogamy is the belief of Christians and anything endorsing homosexuality is rightfully detestable to a Christian. Even without their doctrine, if purpose is real, humans are obviously 'supposed' to be together, male and female only.

Isn't it convenient how in Chrisitanity we can demonize one of the most natural and most beautiful parts of human life- sex- and turn it into something of criminality and disgust?

News flash: Christianity writes the rules of love so they can have social control. Christianity is nothing but a social dominance organization dressed up in make-believe costumes. If the population was properly informed about sex being a natural, positive part of life and an act of personal value and health- we would have much healthier sex lives for everyone. There would be no shame in talking about it, and communication about how we could keep it healthy for all would be forthcoming.

Sex is a human need, Christianity realized this, and they made it dirty so they could own it. So they could own anyone foolish enough to believe their fairy-tales and have the ones that didn't burned.

This is not moral.

Quote:

Chaos theory - This is potentially harmful to a community that bases its moral structure off purpose and hope. To maintain such a view would mean that there is no such thing as right and wrong and that there is no/shouldn't be consequences for each and every action/choice in life; Which Einstein clearly shows us would be against one of the most basic principles of physics. Christians are against any sort of idea that promotes the possibility of anarchy and lack of order. In a Christian moral perspective, this idea threatens the foundation for raising children up into mature, loving, and successful adults.

Arrogance theory - (pretending there is a God and we know it) This is potentially harmful to a community that bases its moral structure off purpose and hope. To maintain a view where we pretend we actually know the forces in control of the universe would cause us to believe we have the right to decide what is right and what is wrong on an absolute level. Christians are against anything that challenges their orders. In Christianity actual evaluation of the circumstances of our existence threatens the foundation of raising infantile, obedient, adults.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineJamz
Supervillan

Loc: .au
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: whattheheck]
    #10024527 - 03/23/09 05:19 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

I'm no christian but I find it pretty hypocritical when atheists go around trying impressing their beliefs on the world and tell christian that their views are incorrect. I'll believe what I want to believe and I'll leave the rest of the world to do the same. After all, you can't provide empirical evidence to say that god doesn't exist any more you can prove that he does exist.

InvisibleDR. PRIME
Mental M.D.

Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #10024590 - 03/23/09 06:13 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Maybe if more atheists actually made an attempt to understand the Christian approach correctly, I would give them a fair comparison. But they don't. Seems to me like the Christian side tries to understand the atheist more than they get credit for. They exemplify compassion while atheists just spout out labels like stupid, ignorant, foolish, which are all IMMATURE slander. Atheists don't appear to be for atheism or science, but only against Christianity. And to expect Christians to continue to let them get away with it is pretty scary prospect indeed. Take some responsibility for yourselves, then maybe you can get your 'noble cause' spread around a little more.

BTW thanks for turning an objective post into an attempt to 'put Christians in their place'. You carry so much subjective anger that it leaves no room for rational thought and progress in such a debate. So listening to you is nearly impossible.

Quote:

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

I LOLed!

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #10024597 - 03/23/09 06:17 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ScYiNs47 said: They exemplify compassion

:rofl:

Edited by RoosterCogburn (03/23/09 06:27 AM)

InvisibleDR. PRIME
Mental M.D.

Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #10024616 - 03/23/09 06:30 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

I'm not doing any of that shit. :shrug:

I'm not brainwashed, I see and discern what's there. I don't put up a smoke screen like you. Let's put you under the microscope and see how you like it. Fucking hypocrite!

But hey, at least you don't pretend to be compassionate.

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #10024633 - 03/23/09 06:36 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Look... priests raped children. The end. :shrug:

I have no idea how anyone is still conned by this empire of lies.

And smoke screen? Like the bible, CCD and weekly brainwashing sessions? No smoke screen here.

We are born, we learn and live, then we die and rot. Enjoy your existence while it's here and stop worrying about the afterlife and magic fairies.

I pity you.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10024641 - 03/23/09 06:40 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Atheists don't appear to be for atheism or science, but only against Christianity.

These days, it's often the same thing. If Christianity didn't try and fuck with science then we wouldn't have a problem :shrug:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #10024790 - 03/23/09 08:03 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Look... priests raped children. The end. :shrug:

and I suppose they're the only ones, must be because of their
religious beliefs, since a couple of priests did all christians
rape babies, since a few atheists did they must all be raping
children... I have no idea how anyone is still conned by this
empire of 'truth'

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: zouden]
    #10024804 - 03/23/09 08:07 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
These days, it's often the same thing. If Christianity didn't try and fuck with science then we wouldn't have a problem :shrug:

doesnt science try and fuck with christianity by claiming the
earth is millions of years old and finding fossils and shit :tongue:

what about animal rights activists, they fuck with science, what
about scientists, many are out there discrediting it through fraud

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #10024860 - 03/23/09 08:28 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

:rofl2:

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Re: An Atheist learns how intolerant Christans are and how they spread like a virus [Re: Kada]
    #10024922 - 03/23/09 08:50 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

im about to watch this video. i watched the first 30 seconds where its like "this is what this episode is about" and i can tell im going to get very frustrated w/ this family and their jibberish nonsensical jargon they preach.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds