Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHeadyHempWraps
Stranger
 User Gallery
Noobie Mistake need advice!
    #9994809 - 03/18/09 12:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So i messed up by looking at my tubs everyday.I spawned wbs to coir and verm at about 1:2.Its been about 10 days it looks about 50% colonized but its knotting up and i already see a few pins. Any suggetions as to what i should do? Keep incubating? Move to fruiting conditions?Any chance i can get it too fully colonize?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
Re: Noobie Mistake need advice! [Re: HeadyHempWraps]
    #9994819 - 03/18/09 12:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

doesnt that have to do with moisture levels?

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

OfflineHeadyHempWraps
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Noobie Mistake need advice! [Re: SillyBilly]
    #9994854 - 03/18/09 12:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think its pinning because i looked at everyday after spawning and let fresh air in evrytime i peeked.It still seems nice and moist theres some condensation on the surface.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
    #9995927 - 03/18/09 03:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Fresh air doesn't initiate the pinning process. Lighting, temp, moisture, and the introduction of FAE.

You want to have the tray 100%colonized before you start the pinning process. I recently cased three of my 6 trays. The other 3 trays I stuck in my FC. The cased trays had bigger and healthier mushrooms than my uncased trays did.

This is the tray I cased. Notice the thicker mushrooms.

This is the uncased tray. Notice how skinny the mushrooms look.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Noobie Mistake need advice! [Re: Starrider]
    #9996933 - 03/18/09 06:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would suggest you stop peeking and let it try to finish up.  10 days after a 1:2 spawn ratio should be nearly complete.  You COULD be contaminated.

Quote:

Fresh air doesn't initiate the pinning process. Lighting, temp, moisture, and the introduction of FAE.

Of course fresh air initiates the pinning process.  FAE, Fresh Air Exchange.

You don't want to give any fresh air exchange prior to full colonization though, just gas exchange.

But since you have, you're seeing pre-mature pinning.  Which will result in the whole substrate taking forever to finish up, and overall poor results.

I also don't understand starrider's examples, honestly I'm not sure if he really knows what hes doing or understands the advice he is giving.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Re: Noobie Mistake need advice! [Re: shroomzey]
    #9996990 - 03/18/09 06:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, if you look at the pics, carefully, you will see that the cased tray had healthier fruits producing on it. I tend to believe that the fruits were aloud to have more time colonizing and got a lot more water.

And by-the-way, both trays were noced up at the same time. I'm convinced that the cased tray did better. And I do know what I'm talking about.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9997030 - 03/18/09 07:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Starrider said:
Well, if you look at the pics, carefully, you will see that the cased tray had healthier fruits producing on it. I tend to believe that the fruits were aloud to have more time colonizing and got a lot more water.

And by-the-way, both trays were noced up at the same time. I'm convinced that the cased tray did better. And I do know what I'm talking about.

That second tray looks cased, unless you didn't allow it to fully colonize.  And it also appears to have a thiner substrate depth than the first one.  I'm guessing this is a multi-spore grow, not a side by side comparison with an isolated strain with identical conditions and parameters.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

#9999405 - 03/19/09 06:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You are correct.

Let me ask you this. The deeper the sub is, the bigger the mushrooms will? I'm still trying to find the best way to get the most out of my grows.

I do appreciate the input. I have learned a lot from the members on here.

--------------------

William Blake

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10000692 - 03/19/09 12:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well if you have a 2" depth in a tray that is 10" x 10", that is 200 cubic inches of substrate.

If you have a 4" depth in the same tray that is 10" x 10" that is 400 cubic inches.

More substrate = more to pull from.

--------------------

My Glovebox

OfflineHeadyHempWraps
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10000948 - 03/19/09 12:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So do you suggest to keep incubating it or should i try to fruit it ?It is maybe 50% colonized,smells like mushrooms and coir, has knots all over and a few pins.Do you think its too late and already in fruiting mode? Hopefully if i leave it alone for a few days it might colonize.But if its too late and already in fruiting mode, i feel like i should just put it into fruiting conditions to get the most out of it.(If i get anything at all)Does anyone know what the typical results from this kinda situation are?I'm guessing that i will get maybe a couple fruits and than some conamination.Thanks for the replys!

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

#10001016 - 03/19/09 01:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I had a problem with my trays. I am new to cultivation and didn't realize the importance of having my trays at 100% colonization. When I took them out of the incubation container, they weren't at a 100%. I decided to place them into the FC and see what happens to them. Nothing happened. So I sprayed them down with water, placed a casing layer(verm) on top, with optimal moisture(plus a little more) and incubated some more. When I reopened the trays, I saw little mushrooms growing. After seeing that I placed my tr5ays into the FC and now I have mushrooms growing every where.

If I was you, I would place a casing layer on top of the sub(make it verm only, with optimal moisture) and spread it across the top of the sub. Make it only 1/2 inch. And keep spraying it with water 2-3 times a day. It will take 1-2 weeks to see the results but I think you can still save your mushrooms.

--------------------

William Blake

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #10001176 - 03/19/09 01:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If I was you, I would place a casing layer on top of the sub(make it verm only, with optimal moisture) and spread it across the top of the sub. Make it only 1/2 inch.

Id do this also but not so much the watering.  your sub should have enough water supply.  if anything a light mist 2 or 3x a day would be enough.

if you dont want to case just put a piece of wax paper over it and replace as it gets wet.

crumple the wax paper into a ball and open it back up flat and place it on your sub, mist and fan if needed and change the paper when it starts to get soggy.  Ive seen great results doing this. 

I did the same thing with my monotub 1st attempt lookin at it colonizing and got a crappy flush, I got shrooms but at random times and it took for ever to finish poppin new shrooms every other day or so.  all in all I got about 3oz but over a months time:confused:

next time cut a view hole in your lid and seal it with plastic or plexi glass or cling wrap something see through to avoid exposing uncolonized sub to contams/FAE.

I put my whole tub into a garbage bag during colonizing and after 10-14 days remove and put into fruiting conditions (light 12 on/off, FAE, constant room temps 70-78F)

tubs do a pretty good job holding humidity by themselves as long as you keep an eye on it as not to let water pool up or your sub dry out.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

OfflineHeadyHempWraps
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Noobie Mistake need advice! [Re: 13shrooms]
    #10001741 - 03/19/09 02:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks very much for the advice!I'm gunna let it incubate for 2 more days and if the knots are turning into pins i'll put it in fruiting.Hopefully it works out ok.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

#10001787 - 03/19/09 02:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just take your time. Sometimes it takes awhile to colonize. I am a person who can't wait, so I look for the fasted way possible. I like to experiment as well, so the rye lets me do that as well.

Good luck.

--------------------

William Blake

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck